Charlie Mulgrew new captain - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Charlie Mulgrew new captain

wanderer

In-keeping with every single thing that's happened with the Scotland team in the past few years, completely uninspiring. McLeish could've went with a youngish player, who'll be part of the set-up for years to come (Stuart Armstrong) but instead he went with a 32 year-old who's pretty fortunate to even be in the squad. 

Quality. No wonder our support is hemorrhaging. :lol: 

33 minutes ago, Parklife said:

In-keeping with every single thing that's happened with the Scotland team in the past few years, completely uninspiring. McLeish could've went with a youngish player, who'll be part of the set-up for years to come (Stuart Armstrong) but instead he went with a 32 year-old who's pretty fortunate to even be in the squad. 

I wouldn't say he's lucky to be in the squad. He's better than anything else we have at CH just now (which isn't saying much)

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

This probably means Tierney is the new captain.

Think this is a poor choice. 

He was the experienced defender I would have left out the squad. Never been convinced with his defending and with so many central defenders coming through I don’t see why he’s even in the squad. 

Someone like Cristophe Berra is simply a better central defender proved over his entire career and more importantly this season. Scoring a few free kicks and penalties at league 1 level shouldn’t mean a place in the squad and captain of his country. 

Hopefully im proven wrong but hopefully it’s Tierney over the long term. 

49 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Think this is a poor choice. 

He was the experienced defender I would have left out the squad. Never been convinced with his defending and with so many central defenders coming through I don’t see why he’s even in the squad. 

Someone like Cristophe Berra is simply a better central defender proved over his entire career and more importantly this season. Scoring a few free kicks and penalties at league 1 level shouldn’t mean a place in the squad and captain of his country. 

Hopefully im proven wrong but hopefully it’s Tierney over the long term. 

I agree that Berra is better, certainly currently but to be honest there's not much in it. 

For these 2 friendlies I was expecting something like this and then we'll get a permanent appointment when Eck has had a chance to get a look at the newer players. 

No matter who got picked as captain, people will complain. This is just a friendly and with Tierney being out I suppose it is sensible to give it to Mulgrew who has more experience. We need to blood some young players but still need some experience on the pitch.

12 hours ago, robbo cop said:

No matter who got picked as captain, people will complain. This is just a friendly and with Tierney being out I suppose it is sensible to give it to Mulgrew who has more experience. We need to blood some young players but still need some experience on the pitch.

There's folk on here who would find fault with Archie Gemmills goal in 1978. 

12 hours ago, robbo cop said:

Experienced at what exactly? Failing to qualify for tournaments? 

The obsession with experience is holding Scotland back, we keep rewarding failure. In this case an experienced but not very good defender has been handed the captaincy. That’s a clear message being sent by the manager. 

This isn’t just a friendly, this is the start of a new era, a chance to build towards our first qualification in over 20 years.

Edited by vanderark14

12 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Experienced at what exactly? Failing to qualify for tournaments? 

The obsession with experience is holding Scotland back, we keep rewarding failure. In this case an experienced but not very good defender has been handed the captaincy. That’s a clear message being sent by the manager. 

This isn’t just a friendly, this is the start of a new era, a chance to build towards our first qualification in over 20 years.

Experience compared to a lot of the team out there tonight. Maybe if the likes of you backed the team instead of moaning about every player you take a dislike to, things might seem better

2 minutes ago, robbo cop said:

Experience compared to a lot of the team out there tonight. Maybe if the likes of you backed the team instead of moaning about every player you take a dislike to, things might seem better

Aye, a more positive attitude is going to get us playing good football.

19 minutes ago, robbo cop said:

What an utterly stupid reply. Me not agreeing with the choice of captain doesn't mean I don't give the team my support or backing.