First Scotland games - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

First Scotland games

BucksburnDandy

Apologies if this has been done before but I spotted the topic on the Irish national team's message board and thought it would be a great topic for here. Obviously as you can see below I am a mere pretender compared to some of the veteran members, so I'd love to see what everyone's first games are.

TV - Scotland v Brazil at France 98. What better than the first game of a World Cup against the flamboyant Brazilians to get me hooked on the national team. Even in defeat.

Live - From memory Scotland v South Africa at Pittodrie. My parents never followed the national team so a trip to Glasgow with them for a game was never going to happen. Kris Boyd scored the winner. Couldn't afford to go to Glasgow until 2010 for a game!

Away - The England friendly at Wembley in 2013. Went with two friends who have stopped going to any Scotland games. Got the bug and travel away as often as I can afford to now. Genuinely nothing makes me prouder than pulling on the kilt and going out to "represent my country" as a tourist and supporter. Been lucky and met plenty good lads and lassies in my time travelling.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TV - Scotland 1-0 England, Rous Cup 1985. 

Home - Scotland 1-1 Poland, WC warm up match just before Italia 90. 

(Funnily enough my wee boy’s first match, he’s half Polish, was Scotland 2-2 Poland in the Euros qualifier, 2015.)

Away - Euro 96, Scotland 0-0 Netherlands, Villa Park. 

(First overseas game was Sweden 2-1 Scotland, Gothenburg April 1997).

TV - First I can remember getting excited about was the scud-all draw with Holland at Euro 96. 

First Home Game - My first first team game was the 2-0 win against Latvia where we qualified for France 98. It’s been doon hill ever since. I was at a Hungary U21 and Northern Ireland B game at Easter Road before 

First Away Game - Amsterdam 2009, 3-0 humping from Holland was when I caught the travelling bug. Mind you, it’s better than most bugs I could have caught over their

The game that got me hooked was the Czechoslovakia game in 73. Everybody in the playground the next day was Joe Jordan. 

The first game I attended was against northern Ireland in 79.

Edited by bonzo

Good topic 👍

Got a very vague recollection of a away game against Spain in the early 80's...possibly on the tele??

First Hampden game was 1990 defeat by East Germany 

Special mention tae the Steve Bull Ingerlundshire game at Hampden canae mind wit year (beat us 2 nil) it's probably ma first experience a heartbreak 

First away game was Amsterdam fir the second leg a the play off. A had met a few Dandies in Madrid and they recommended it...cheers lads 👍

And it's now 2018 and a am still doing this madness...canae wait fir Budapest 

TV I think was the WC '94 Qualifier 5-0 defeat away to Portugal where McCoist broke his leg

Live was another WC '94 Qualifier vs Estonia at Pittodrie, I think we'd already failed to qualify by that point but won 3-1

Away was Italy 2007 in Bari

I've told this story on here before.

We were all sitting outside a cafe on Piazza del Duomo in Milan. Lots of Scots all over for the match at the San Siro against Italy.

Someone asked that very question.

Lots of answers were given then I heard a voice say, "Hampden. 1965. Against Italy".

Al the heads turned to see who this Methuselah was. They were all looking at me.

5 minutes ago, Flure said:

We were all sitting outside a cafe on Piazza del Duomo in Milan. Lots of Scots all over for the match at the San Siro against Italy.

Lots of answers were given then I heard a voice say, "Hampden. 1965. Against Italy".

Al the heads turned to see who this Methuselah was. They were all looking at me.

Did yer maw no let you go until you were 20?

I may have made this joke on here before?

First memory of watching on TV was qualifying campaign for Italia’90. Remember rushing home from school to watch all of the next for major finals we reached. Typically started going not long after that. 

First home game was v Finland at Easter Road in 1998. Didn’t start going on a regular basis until 2001. 

First away game was v Germany in 2003. That was when I truly caught the bug. 

TV- Vague recollection of watching the 0-0 with Russia in 1995 at youth club. The 0-0 with Holland at Euro 96 probably the first time I sat and watched the full 90 minutes.

Home- 0-0 draw with Croatia in 2001. Billy Dodds having a goal disallowed.

Away- If you don't count the under 21's 2-1 loss to Northern Ireland in 2005 (rumours were the full team would be playing there so I took a gamble and booked flights, still went over anyway) then it would be the 2-0 loss in the San Siro with Pirlo scoring both.

Not a lot of goals there. :lol:

My first game was v Italy in November 2007.  If that atmosphere wasn't going to get me hooked, nothing would.

First away was two years later, a wet and miserable 3-0 defeat in Cardiff, but I managed to make it from 1 to 10 points with the away games which came after that one.

Can't remember what the first one I saw on TV was, probably v Netherlands Euro 96

Edited by in5omniac

1 hour ago, Flure said:

Italy game is the first I remember going to,  lifted over and dwarfed by massive crowd.

John Grieg scored the winner and place erupted. 

First game was Scotland v England 1989.

Dont remember much about the game itself, just that I’d never heard noise like it atva game, having only really been to Fir Park and a couple of Motherwell Away games at likes of Brockville and a half full parkhead before that.

First game v Belarus at pittodrie, I think this was the one moved when Di died. 

First Hampden game v Norway when Faddy was sent off and they scored the pen. 

First away game v Norway again, a 4-0 humping in 2009 I think it was. 

TV - it was probably 86 World Cup but the first clear memory is 1990 against Sweden. Weirdly i watched it in a pub in magaluf with my mum and dad, I was 8. The Scots fans got all the kids pushed down to the front so we could see the TV. I think the bar was called the Scots corner.

home game - Sweden at ibrox qualifier at ibrox n November 1996. John mcginley scored the winner in a 1-0 win. 

Away game - never been one for away games because I couldnt really afford it before now but it would be either against Brazil at the emirates, if that wasn’t classed as an away match I guess it would be the England friendly in 2013. The plan is to go to an away match this year and next.