Vaping - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

My mum is in hospital and when she eventually gets out she has promised to give up smoking. 

In recent times her years of smoking has had a terrible affect on her health and this time she says she is giving up for good. She has tried in the past, though I am not convinced she has really wanted to despite serious illnesses directly connected to it. 

There is no way she will stop completely because as soon as she is out she will get back to her old habits. She therefore needs to have an alternative which is hopefully less dangerous to her health. To me, vaping is possibly the best alternative, but having never smoked in my life I really have no experience.

I had signed her up on ‘quit your way’ which is an NHS helpline , for when she gets out. But it would be much appreciated if anyone who has been a smoker and has moved to vaping, or who has tried to help someone stop , could provide some tips ( not cigarette tips). 

I realise that she needs to break the cycle and habit but it is not  easy as she lives alone and is not particularly mobile, so cant get out much. Again, any help in overcoming these obstacles would be great.

My wife and I stopped smoking nearly 3 years ago, the money we saved paid for our wedding in 18 months and now it’s only really done out of habit. 

There is loads of types of ecig out there, even more flavours, even tobacco believe it or not and also various strengths that can be used  

Best thing we ever done, saved a fortune, improved our health and hopefully grabbed back some years that we would’ve lost eventually if we carried on. 

It can be diffficult to start with, especially for the older generation (I would imagine) but it is easier to get used to as there’s still the hand to mouth action and the kick that the nicotine gives you, rather than using patches and sprays etc. 

2 hours ago, Mindimoo said:

Patches are very good and shed get them for free from the pharmacist.  I know it sound cruel, but if she can't get out then avoid buying her cigs.  Good luck, it's not easy!

Thanks Mindi. She has depended on me and my sister buying her cigs but I have told her I cant do it any longer. Part of me thinks ‘ she is 76 and this is one of the few pleasures she has left ‘ , but it is killing her and is very upsetting to see her struggling fror breath. My sister smokes which is another problem as she probably will continue to buy them for her. 

At the end of the day she will dobit if she really wants to I suppose. 

10 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

My wife and I stopped smoking nearly 3 years ago, the money we saved paid for our wedding in 18 months and now it’s only really done out of habit. 

There is loads of types of ecig out there, even more flavours, even tobacco believe it or not and also various strengths that can be used  

Best thing we ever done, saved a fortune, improved our health and hopefully grabbed back some years that we would’ve lost eventually if we carried on. 

It can be diffficult to start with, especially for the older generation (I would imagine) but it is easier to get used to as there’s still the hand to mouth action and the kick that the nicotine gives you, rather than using patches and sprays etc. 

its great to hear you and your wife managed to stop together. It could have been so easy for one , or both, of you to give ip. 

The hand mouth action you mention is the reason I think the vaping may be best for her. I am certain its the habit and boredom that prevents  her stopping.  Maybe if I get her a wee selection of flavours it will be like a box of chocolates 🙂

The money is an incentive but probably not as much as with young people like you and your wife as she doesnt have a lot of outgoings other than the cigs.  

Thanks, and I hope you manage to stay off them. 

4 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

Off on a tangent here but my teenage son was telling me a few of his mates, girls and boys, have started vaping. They have never actually smoked, just gone straight to vaping

What the fuck is that all about :lol:

😂 I know. I heard a discussion on the radio about it a couple of months ago. They were debating whether vaping was a good thing or not as folk who have never smoked are trying it and can move onto cigarettes  when they need more than the vaping 🙄

My mum was discharged from hospital unexpectedly today . I had to flee to her house and check all the cupboards before bringing her home. Found 3 packets , I felt like the fag polis. I am so stressed I might have one 🙂

Guest BlueGaz

I smoked for nearly 30 years and in the latter years I tried everything, patches, gum etc and attending classes.  All were ok in short-term but I always went back to smoking after a few weeks (7 months one time).  I started on the vaping over 3 years ago, on strongest level, and worked my way down to weakest level of nic, which I am on now.  Vaping worked for me over night and I have never had a craving for a cig or a puff since day one of starting it.  However, I didn't like the stick batteries/mods etc and moved quite quickly to the more powerful stuff (without the clouds).  

They do kits which are good, to get you started.

So spend wise, i pay about £40-50 every 2 years or so for a new mod, about £40 for a couple of good tanks every 2 years, and I mix my own oil so pay about £1 for 30ml of oil.  £9.99 in the shops normally.  So its not expensive.  £8 or so a day on fags i was spending when smoking.  Now I spend about £2 a week.

1 hour ago, BlueGaz said:

I smoked for nearly 30 years and in the latter years I tried everything, patches, gum etc and attending classes.  All were ok in short-term but I always went back to smoking after a few weeks (7 months one time).  I started on the vaping over 3 years ago, on strongest level, and worked my way down to weakest level of nic, which I am on now.  Vaping worked for me over night and I have never had a craving for a cig or a puff since day one of starting it.  However, I didn't like the stick batteries/mods etc and moved quite quickly to the more powerful stuff (without the clouds).  

They do kits which are good, to get you started.

So spend wise, i pay about £40-50 every 2 years or so for a new mod, about £40 for a couple of good tanks every 2 years, and I mix my own oil so pay about £1 for 30ml of oil.  £9.99 in the shops normally.  So its not expensive.  £8 or so a day on fags i was spending when smoking.  Now I spend about £2 a week.

That is great info, thanks Gaz. I am going to the shops today to get her something. Is there any shop/brand in particular you would recommend ?

Guest BlueGaz
4 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

That is great info, thanks Gaz. I am going to the shops today to get her something. Is there any shop/brand in particular you would recommend ?

There are loads of good ones.  I tend to stick to Innokin for the mod/battery and Aspire for the tanks.  I buy from VapeClub online.  I think the shops are too expensive and the ones around here don't normally have a clue what they are talking about.  You should be ok for a starter kit though, if you are not too worried about price (there isn't a huge difference normally) try to stick to Aspire.  If you want to buy online i can drop you a couple of links to decent starter kits.

Guest BlueGaz
41 minutes ago, jailender said:

What is it with all these twats that walk about producing more vapour than a jet at 30000 feet?:wtf:

:lol: I agree.  I tend to be the exact opposite when I buy, so I can get away with the odd puff in places I really shouldn't ;)

3 hours ago, BlueGaz said:

There are loads of good ones.  I tend to stick to Innokin for the mod/battery and Aspire for the tanks.  I buy from VapeClub online.  I think the shops are too expensive and the ones around here don't normally have a clue what they are talking about.  You should be ok for a starter kit though, if you are not too worried about price (there isn't a huge difference normally) try to stick to Aspire.  If you want to buy online i can drop you a couple of links to decent starter kits.

Thanks Gaz , its like a minefield to me so this helps a lot.

I will get the starter kit from a shop and if you get the chance I would be interested in the online links for going forward , in the hope this works for her. 

And well done on keeping of them. Just glad I never started as I dont know if I would have the willpower to stop. 

11 hours ago, BlueGaz said:

:lol: I agree.  I tend to be the exact opposite when I buy, so I can get away with the odd puff in places I really shouldn't ;)

Same here, I get away with vaping in schools and building sites as no one can smell anything :lol:

The only place I get grief for it, is football grounds :banghead:

Guest BlueGaz
5 hours ago, dandydunn said:

The only place I get grief for it, is football grounds :banghead:

Same, but depending on who we are playing.  I sit right at seg so if the stewards are sat on my side, no go, but if they are sat on visiting support side normally ok.  I know I shouldn't, there is a smoking/vaping area at half time.

20 hours ago, jailender said:

What is it with all these twats that walk about producing more vapour than a jet at 30000 feet?:wtf:

47 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

on the other hand the folk that think they're dragons in public spaces need to go.  brain donors.

These cloud warriors are going to ruin it for the rest of us. There's growing pressure to ban vaping in pubs/public transport etc, and i'm certain it's because of these numpties.

18 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

These cloud warriors are going to ruin it for the rest of us. There's growing pressure to ban vaping in pubs/public transport etc, and i'm certain it's because of these numpties.

I'm not up for being a killjoy & appreciate that they are probably improving the health of a lot of people, but I have pretty serious lung problems & I can tell you that breathing in that vape is awful if you have bad asthma or other allergic/inflammatory lung problems - I react instantly & often severely to it & I know a lot of other folks with similar issues that are the same. I don't necessarily think they need equating with cigarettes because the fumes don't spread & linger in the same way, but I'd definitely say there shouldn't be a blanket assumption that it's ok anywhere & doesn't affect anyone.

Outdoors at football isn't too bad because the stuff just blows away fairly quickly, but I'm heading back towards square one in terms of too many nights out being effed up because I can't breathe properly.

7 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

I'm not up for being a killjoy & appreciate that they are probably improving the health of a lot of people, but I have pretty serious lung problems & I can tell you that breathing in that vape is awful if you have bad asthma or other allergic/inflammatory lung problems - I react instantly & often severely to it & I know a lot of other folks with similar issues that are the same. I don't necessarily think they need equating with cigarettes because the fumes don't spread & linger in the same way, but I'd definitely say there shouldn't be a blanket assumption that it's ok anywhere & doesn't affect anyone.

Outdoors at football isn't too bad because the stuff just blows away fairly quickly, but I'm heading back towards square one in terms of too many nights out being effed up because I can't breathe properly.

Aye, it can't be nice getting a face full of it while standing at a bus stop/at the fitba, or wherever.

I'm always mindful to blow it away from folk. You become an expert at using the wind direction, keeping it away from people around you. I've vaped on planes before with no problems. 'Stealth vaping' it's called. With the type of mouth-inhale tank i use it's no problem. You can inhale and hold your breath for a few seconds. That way hardly any vapour is exhaled.

The folk producing the big clouds are using a different type of tank, which is inhaled directly into the lungs, and designed to produce as much vapour as possible - not for any practical reason, but just because they think it looks cool.

17 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Aye, it can't be nice getting a face full of it while standing at a bus stop/at the fitba, or wherever.

I'm always mindful to blow it away from folk. You become an expert at using the wind direction, keeping it away from people around you. I've vaped on planes before with no problems. 'Stealth vaping' it's called. With the type of mouth-inhale tank i use it's no problem. You can inhale and hold your breath for a few seconds. That way hardly any vapour is exhaled.

The folk producing the big clouds are using a different type of tank, which is inhaled directly into the lungs, and designed to produce as much vapour as possible - not for any practical reason, but just because they think it looks cool.

Some of the clouds I see produced seem to defy scientific explanation! The volume of gas seems like it's bigger than the capacity of some of the little oik's lungs.

1 hour ago, Huddersfield said:

Have you considered taking up professional road cycling?

Just now, Eisegerwind said:

Have you considered taking up professional road cycling?

No, but I have a decent stock at a very decent price of a wide range of completely legitimate medicines, deliverable in plain brown envelopes for those seeking no competitive advantage from them whatsoever.

Yeah, you get some crackers - there's a boy every morning standing on the platform at my local train station, lets out a puff of smoke that you could hide a stream train in, and he them immediately walks away and stands somewhere else on the platform, its so bad.  Sod all the people that happened to be standing next to him.  What a complete walloper.