Stuff I used to know is now gobbledygook - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Stuff I used to know is now gobbledygook

...but is there in all its glory to shame me on Wikipedia.  Just one example of many;  I used to know what the stuff on this page was all about...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mole_(unit)

It was all obvious at one time, but now it's mince :mad: .   I'm annoyed that stuff like that seems to have evaporated into a volume of gas where brain cells used to high-five.   I used to think I was smart (or was that smart-arsed?).   Chemistry was not my field in the workplace, so that example probably just died in my own head from lack of use.  

Then again,  there are things I was never taught, but now find fascinating.  (Stop yawning at the back boy!)   That I don't understand those is less annoying, but am curious about them.   How about historical linguistics & geology?   (I said stop yawning at the back boy!!!)   The former is still a complete mystery to me (how can migrations of peoples over a thousand years be traced from the odd diphthong?), but I have at least tried reading up on rocks.

Does the old adage apply that my head only has so much space?  

I have a recurring dream that I need to sit my Higher maths again. It was by far my strongest subject at school and got an A in 1980. It was so long ago I didnt even have a calculator for the exam. 

I have actually woken up in a panic and cold sweat as I doubt I would even understand the questions these days, never mind answer them correctly.  

Yet a remember the name of the wee shite who called me teabag because of all my freckles .  

Aye, there's a point when your kids stop asking you for help with their homework!

Talking of pocket calculators though, here are some other things that only came about since then:   Video game console, Microprocessor, Personal computer, eMail, Internet, Touchscreen, Web browser, Flash memory, CD, DVD, Mobile phone, DNA sequencing & testing, Fibre optics, Laparoscopy, Stents, LED & LCD, GPS, Online shopping & banking, Media file compression, Solar energy cell, Large wind turbine, Digital photography & videography, Bar codes, Cash machines.   Plate tectonics was only proven by the mid-60s, and nobody then knew the earth was flat after all :o

Am easily annoyed.   Like I will be deid in a while and not know what happens next.   Haven't forgotten my name, but sometimes feel odd hearing it, or think I'd getting a row.

I still get dreams about turning up for exams late, that I've not studied for.   Last night however, I was kilted up at some packed airport with no money and no tickets.   Hungarians have stressed me out :lol:

I know you think back 30 years even 20, you went on holiday you just went only knowing the picture in the brochure. 

Now a days you can do virtual tours round your hotel/room, bars and restaurants all from your own living room. It's hardly worth going :lol:.

16 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

...but is there in all its glory to shame me on Wikipedia.  Just one example of many;  I used to know what the stuff on this page was all about...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mole_(unit)

It was all obvious at one time, but now it's mince :mad: .   I'm annoyed that stuff like that seems to have evaporated into a volume of gas where brain cells used to high-five.   I used to think I was smart (or was that smart-arsed?).   Chemistry was not my field in the workplace, so that example probably just died in my own head from lack of use.  

Then again,  there are things I was never taught, but now find fascinating.  (Stop yawning at the back boy!)   That I don't understand those is less annoying, but am curious about them.   How about historical linguistics & geology?   (I said stop yawning at the back boy!!!)   The former is still a complete mystery to me (how can migrations of peoples over a thousand years be traced from the odd diphthong?), but I have at least tried reading up on rocks.

Does the old adage apply that my head only has so much space?  

If it was one mole of gas it would have a volume of 22.4 litre at STP.;)

Scottish Tories and Rees Mogg - for once looking grim not smug - are frothing about the 'betrayal' over fish. Who could have possibly foreseen that?

Edited by exile