Best Club Side - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Best Club Side

On 19/03/2018 at 12:10 AM, Clyde1998 said:

I support Reading, so this may be a load of names no-one's ever heard of. The first XI is essentially the side we had between 2005 and 2007, with a couple of changes. Based on their peaks at the club.

Hahnemann; Murty, Ingimarsson, Carrico, Shorey; Little, Sidwell, Sigurdsson, Convey; Doyle, Kitson

Subs: Federici, Sonko, Harper, McCleary, Kebe, Lita, Long.

Tough times for Reading right now, I work in Reading, most of the guys I work with are Reading fans. They’ve been desperate to get rid of Stam for a while. I’m planning on going to a game soon but Mayberry not the best time to be going.

16 hours ago, Jersey Jim said:

Talking of which, for you older Dons chaps, Scanlon or Weir?

Weir for me.

Fergie had to have him and paid a then record amount to acquire him.

A Gothenburg Great that had to continually jump over flying tackles down the left in the Final, and who gave the ball to McGhee in extra time to cross for Hewitt.

Scored the winner (a header) v Celtic in the SC semi that year as well (and was privileged to be present for both).

V Ipswich...

9 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Tough times for Reading right now, I work in Reading, most of the guys I work with are Reading fans. They’ve been desperate to get rid of Stam for a while. I’m planning on going to a game soon but Mayberry not the best time to be going.

Not been the best season for us, especially after last season - albeit we did manage to get beaten heavily in quite a lot of away matches last season, something that hasn't happened this season. The biggest problem has been that we've been happy to pass the ball back to the goalkeeper from attacking positions, looking scared to lose possession. It's just been boring to watch. I've watched some absolute dross this season, particularly away from home - the last game I went to, Wolves away, it took us until the 93rd minute to have a shot (which went miles over). It's no surprise that we've had some of our lowest attendances for league matches since moving to the Madejski Stadium in recent games.

A new manager may change things, especially if they're willing to play a bit more direct. Not sure if Paul Clement - who appears to be the favourite - is the man for the job though, considering that he plays in a similar way to Stam - not the best style of football for a relegation battle, in my mind. 

10 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Geoghegan

McQueen     Koumburre . Garner    Mitchell

Jones            Bernard                Hackett

Cowan   Zdrillic  McCall

subs

Dodds , Whyte, McNamara

Can’t believe Ricky Foster isn’t in that squad!

On 22/03/2018 at 9:17 PM, Clyde1998 said:

Not been the best season for us, especially after last season - albeit we did manage to get beaten heavily in quite a lot of away matches last season, something that hasn't happened this season. The biggest problem has been that we've been happy to pass the ball back to the goalkeeper from attacking positions, looking scared to lose possession. It's just been boring to watch. I've watched some absolute dross this season, particularly away from home - the last game I went to, Wolves away, it took us until the 93rd minute to have a shot (which went miles over). It's no surprise that we've had some of our lowest attendances for league matches since moving to the Madejski Stadium in recent games.

A new manager may change things, especially if they're willing to play a bit more direct. Not sure if Paul Clement - who appears to be the favourite - is the man for the job though, considering that he plays in a similar way to Stam - not the best style of football for a relegation battle, in my mind. 

Reading absolutely horsed Derby at Pride Park earlier this season and played really well. I thought it was a matter of time before they climbed the table. 

Clement........be prepared for boring pragmatic football. You wont let in many, but wont score many either. 

17 hours ago, Capital Saint said:

Derek Robertson

John McKay Baltacha Alan Kernaghan Willie Coburn

Kenny Aird Jimmy Wright Jim O'Rourke Fred Aitken

John Brogan John Connolly

I knew you were auld! :D

21 hours ago, slasher said:

Boruc

McGrain   Elliot      Mjallby       Tierney 

Di Canio  McStay    Nakamura   Moravcik

Larsson  Nicholas 

Me and my mates used to play this game, we must be slightly younger than you, and we always thought my Motherwell team would’ve beat my mates Celtic team.

:lol:

mcgrain was too early, as was Elliot (just) and tierney would’ve been at primary school when we had this discussion.

Middle to front Celtic were brilliant, (van hoijdonk one obvious omission) but the only decent goalie was Bonner and defensively it was slim pickings, boyd and aitken were stalwarts of the fantasy team.

21 hours ago, slasher said:

Boruc

Larsson  Nicholas 

I'm surprised how many Celtic fans have mentioned Nakamura ?

As a neutral, I've never thought of him as a particularly great Celtic player of the last 30-40 years.

22 hours ago, slasher said:

Boruc

Larsson  Nicholas 

It’s amazing to think that Lubo Moravcik never won anything until he signed for Celtic aged 33

It makes you wonder how many other wee gems in the unfashionable leagues have gone have been passed by 

2 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Me and my mates used to play this game, we must be slightly younger than you, and we always thought my Motherwell team would’ve beat my mates Celtic team.

:lol:

mcgrain was too early, as was Elliot (just) and tierney would’ve been at primary school when we had this discussion.

Middle to front Celtic were brilliant, (van hoijdonk one obvious omission) but the only decent goalie was Bonner and defensively it was slim pickings, boyd and aitken were stalwarts of the fantasy team.

Up front was the toughest pick. Van Hooijdonk was pretty good but I wouldn't have had him ahead of even McGarvey, McCluskey or McAvennie. Charlie is still the best young player I've ever seen in Scotland. If he'd had the same level of dedication as young Tierney he could have been the greatest Scottish player of his generation. Instead of Liverpool he chose the bright lights and Don Howe and Arsenal ruined him. 

2 hours ago, fringo said:

I'm surprised how many Celtic fans have mentioned Nakamura ?

As a neutral, I've never thought of him as a particularly great Celtic player of the last 30-40 years.

Naka was a great player and just about worth a spot ahead of the likes McLeod, Burns, Lambert, Collins and Thompson for me 

2 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

It’s amazing to think that Lubo Moravcik never won anything until he signed for Celtic aged 33

It makes you wonder how many other wee gems in the unfashionable leagues have gone have been passed by 

Used to love watching Lubo take Maloney off for wee pre match drills like the crossbar challenge. Lubo never missed :lol:

15 hours ago, slasher said:

Up front was the toughest pick. Van Hooijdonk was pretty good but I wouldn't have had him ahead of even McGarvey, McCluskey or McAvennie. Charlie is still the best young player I've ever seen in Scotland. If he'd had the same level of dedication as young Tierney he could have been the greatest Scottish player of his generation. Instead of Liverpool he chose the bright lights and Don Howe and Arsenal ruined him. 

Naka was a great player and just about worth a spot ahead of the likes McLeod, Burns, Lambert, Collins and Thompson for me 

Agree 100% - could and should have been world class & finished Scotlands all time record goalscorer, certainly had all the talent.