Best Club Side - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Best Club Side

9 hours ago, Ormond said:

What a fucking player Nemsadze was. I was jealous of him. Then I went to a party on the Cleppy Rd with him and Wilkie and although they were total dicks, I was still jealous that Saints never had a Nemsadze. :lol:

Put the drink doon Colin. :rolleyes:

Leighton

Mckimmie Miller Mcleish Robertson

Jess Bett Simmie Hayes

Shearer Gillhaus

I think they would be a match for most teams all at their peak, although the players from late 89’s I only seen from the end of their Aberdeen careers. 

39 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Leighton

Jess Bett Simmie Hayes

Shearer Gillhaus

I think they would be a match for most teams all at their peak, although the players from late 89’s I only seen from the end of their Aberdeen careers. 

I had Duncan Shearer on my shortlist - he's a legend in these parts as well & was voted in our all-time top 100 players during our centenary year.

2 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Leighton

Jess Bett Simmie Hayes

Shearer Gillhaus

I wanted to get Hayes in somewhere too..... it was him or Jess though!

Just like Marky on the board I moved to Jersey in the late 80’s, so like many of the Aberdeen teams picked this is from the same era.

Campbell Money

Iain Munro
Jackie Copland
Bobby Reid
Stevie Clarke

Tony Fitzpatrick 
Billy Stark
Lex Richardson
Peter Weir

Frank McAvennie
Frank McGarvey

Subs
Billy Thomson
Mark Fulton
Peter Godfrey 
Dougie Somner
Billy Abercromby
Frank McDougall
Ian Scanlon
Saints must have been the unluckiest side in Scotland, our greatest ever teams and squads coincided with Aberdeen, Dundee Utd at their peak, then chuck the old firm into the mix.

On 3/18/2018 at 8:45 AM, DoonTheSlope said:

GK Jim Leighton

RB Steven Whittaker (first spell)
CB Frank Sauzee (c)
CB Efe Ambrose
LB David Murphy

RW Ivan Sproule
CM Scott Brown
CM Russel Latapy
LW Derek Riordan

FWD Leigh Griffiths
FWD Garry O'Connor

Subs
GK Ben Williams
DF Paul Hanlon 
DF  Darren McGregor
MF  Merouane Zemmama
MF  Pat McGinlay
FWD Steven Fletcher
FWD Darren Jackson

I'd agree with a good few of them but for very different reasons! :lol:

20 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

No Alex Taylor???

Thought about it.   Alex Taylor was superb, but McCarthy was a better attacking midfielder and Neil was a better defensive midfielder.  And I'll never have a best-ever Accies team without Wurzel in it.

On 19/03/2018 at 1:05 PM, Shotts56 said:

Allan Ferguson

Kevin McKee

Jim Weir

Mark McLaughlin

Adrian Sprott

John McNaught

James McCarthy

Alex Neil

Paul McDonald

George McCluskey

Jose Quitongo

Some notable absentees there

Neil Hood

Joe McGrogan

Mick McManus

Jamie Fairlie

Chris Hillcoat

Andy Millen

Colin Harris

Martin McIntosh - one of the classiest defenders i've seen at Accies and dumbfounded that he couldnt go onto better things. Dont know if it was dedication or injury issues

Edited by Ally Bongo

4 hours ago, Jersey Jim said:

Just like Marky on the board I moved to Jersey in the late 80’s, so like many of the Aberdeen teams picked this is from the same era.

Campbell Money

Iain Munro
Jackie Copland
Bobby Reid
Stevie Clarke

Tony Fitzpatrick 
Billy Stark
Lex Richardson
Peter Weir

Frank McAvennie
Frank McGarvey

Subs
Billy Thomson
Mark Fulton
Peter Godfrey 
Dougie Somner
Billy Abercromby
Frank McDougall
Ian Scanlon
Saints must have been the unluckiest side in Scotland, our greatest ever teams and squads coincided with Aberdeen, Dundee Utd at their peak, then chuck the old firm into the mix.

Apart from swapping Chris Iwelumo for McAvennie, I agree with you Jimmy. 

2 hours ago, Jersey Jim said:

I’ve warned you about these excessive liquid lunches. 

:lol:

In all seriousness I’d struggled to argue with that team. The centre backs and left back are nailed on. I assume you’ve got Stevie Clarke at right back. Although my only potential competitor to him miraculously doesnae even make it onto your subs bench. Tommy Wilson.

Seems like sacrilege to leave Aber out of a greatest first eleven but don’t think I could drop any one from that midfield. 

2 minutes ago, Marky said:

In all seriousness I’d struggled to argue with that team. The centre backs and left back are nailed on. I assume you’ve got Stevie Clarke at right back. Although my only potential competitor to him miraculously doesnae even make it onto your subs bench. Tommy Wilson.

Seems like sacrilege to leave Aber out of a greatest first eleven but don’t think I could drop any one from that midfield. 

I suppose it could make sense for balance to drop Lexy for Aber, all my 4 midfielders are all attacking players, where Aber could sit behind them and kick all and sundry. 

9 minutes ago, Jersey Jim said:

I suppose it could make sense for balance to drop Lexy for Aber, all my 4 midfielders are all attacking players, where Aber could sit behind them and kick all and sundry. 

Fitzy was hardly attacking. 

18 goals in 351 appearances!!

Talking of which, for you older Dons chaps, Scanlon or Weir?

Loved both of them for Saints, I’d lean towards Scanlon because of a 40 yarder he scored against Celtic when we came from 2-0 down to win 4-2, but BA Weir was class as well. 

6 minutes ago, Jersey Jim said:

Talking of which, for you older Dons chaps, Scanlon or Weir?

Loved both of them for Saints, I’d lean towards Scanlon because of a 40 yarder he scored against Celtic when we came from 2-0 down to win 4-2, but BA Weir was class as well. 

If you’d lean towards Scanlon then why was Weir in yer first team and Scanlon on yer bench ya demented auld bam. 

Lol, good point 

Tae be fair Weir was probably a better player so got into my starting 11, but I liked Scanlon more for scoring my favourite Saints goal of all time.

Devastated there is no film exists of that goal, a 40 yard volley past Paddy Bonner.

Edited by Jersey Jim