Scotland's most decorated player - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland's most decorated player

Ambassador

'Show us their medals' is the classic challenge between fans when debating the credentials of their favourite players. In this supportyouevermore blog we look at the Scotland players who won the most medals in their club careers which can be a helpful guide when considering the thorny and subjective issue of what constitutes a Scotland 'legend'.

Would you be surprised to know that Shaun Maloney is in the top ten?

Full list here 

On 17 March 2018 at 7:33 PM, Toepoke said:

Ian Ferguson (St Mirren, Rangers) won 19 medals, but only 9 caps

Aye - there is a few like that, cracking players whose Scotland careers never really got going (Jimmy Johnstone as well).

We could adjust the criteria down from 25 caps but that seems the minimum to us to properly be classified as a Scotland player.....

34 minutes ago, Ambassador said:

Aye - there is a few like that, cracking players whose Scotland careers never really got going (Jimmy Johnstone as well).

We could adjust the criteria down from 25 caps but that seems the minimum to us to properly be classified as a Scotland player.....

That's a ridiculous criteria. If a player gets one cap he is a Scotland player.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Would say the Dryrbrough cup was worth more than a league cup is now

Some other lists (not related to Scottish team) include community shield, European super cup, even runners ups medals etc

The more contentious criteria is having a minimum cap threshold (we have set it at 25) so several of the Lisbon Lions have missed the list as has Ian Ferguson as Toepoke pointed out earlier. Bobby Lennox would top the list with 25 medals but he only got 10 caps so would welcome views on whether a review is in order?

Not keen on weighting medals although I agree with the underlying point.

2 minutes ago, Ambassador said:

Some other lists (not related to Scottish team) include community shield, European super cup, even runners ups medals etc

The more contentious criteria is having a minimum cap threshold (we have set it at 25) so several of the Lisbon Lions have missed the list as has Ian Ferguson as Toepoke pointed out earlier. Bobby Lennox would top the list with 25 medals but he only got 10 caps so would welcome views on whether a review is in order?

Not keen on weighting medals although I agree with the underlying point.

Since it's all about how many medals then I'd remove the caps criteria as the Bobby Lennox example shows, these guys should be in there based on the amount of medals.

On 3/29/2018 at 5:47 PM, fringo said:

Since it's all about how many medals then I'd remove the caps criteria as the Bobby Lennox example shows, these guys should be in there based on the amount of medals.

Cheers Fringo - I think you are right, I will review the list and maybe put in to video format which might be a bit more engaging.

Will also think about the manager list. Based on the same criteria of only counting leagues, national cups etc Alex Ferguson won a mind boggling 34 medals (16 leagues, 9 national cups, 5 league cups and 4 European trophies). Mental!

9 hours ago, Ambassador said:

Cheers Fringo - I think you are right, I will review the list and maybe put in to video format which might be a bit more engaging.

Will also think about the manager list. Based on the same criteria of only counting leagues, national cups etc Alex Ferguson won a mind boggling 34 medals (16 leagues, 9 national cups, 5 league cups and 4 European trophies). Mental!

You could maybe compare how many medals they won as a manager and how many they won as a player. Maybe Strachan or Tommy Burns won most as players, probably Vogts now I think about it? Don't think Fergie won any? Not sure? He didn't get any caps either, although he claims that he did.

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

You could maybe compare how many medals they won as a manager and how many they won as a player. Maybe Strachan or Tommy Burns won most as players, probably Vogts now I think about it? Don't think Fergie won any? Not sure? He didn't get any caps either, although he claims that he did.

Good shout.

I am using wikipedia as the source and Fergie's page implies no caps but 7 appearances (and 9 goals) for a Scotland XI in 1967.

In the notes its defined as:

"The Scotland XI team was made up of young, promising players who were to be given the taste of international football with the aim of developing a team for the 1970 World Cup. With a number of Scottish clubs unexpectedly reaching final stages of various European cups, a number of players had to pull out from the touring team to help their clubs. The Scotland XI played nine matches and won them all."

Dropping the unpopular minimum cap threshold and extending it out to the top 20 looks as follows. 

I am planning to make this in to a video so I would be grateful to hear about any errors (Ian Ferguson's wiki page is not very specific so there is a bit of guess work in his split of medals).

Honourable mentions to James Forrest (12), Roy Aitken (12) , Alex McLeish (11), Willie Miller (11), Stuart McCall (11) and Paul Lambert (10) who are the other Scottish players in double figures.

Leagues National cups  League cup European Total
1 Bobby Lennox 11 8 5 1 25
2 Billy McNeill 9 7 6 1 23
3 Kenny Dalglish 10 5 5 3 23
4 Ally McCoist 10 1 9 0 20
5 Jimmy Johnstone 9 4 5 1 19
6 Richard Gough 10 3 6 0 19
7 Ian Ferguson 10 4 5 0 19
8 Bobby Murdoch 8 5 5 1 19
9 John Greig 5 6 5 1 17
10 Barry Ferguson 5 5 6 0 16
11 Bertie Auld 6 4 5 1 16