Crossing a picket line (or not) - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Crossing a picket line (or not)

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

I think Biffer shows more of a backbone by being selfless enough to  take a days leave than proceed with an action that contradicts his personal beliefs, regardless of  whether or not the strike relates to his own job.   

I like you DTS, but you sometimes only see things in shades of black and white.  To be fair , many people do at times, myself included.

But I would not go as far as calling you a Tory 😏

Different strokes for different folks. If it was me I certainly wouldn't be taking a days holiday just to avoid crossing a picket line 

12 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Different strokes for different folks. If it was me I certainly wouldn't be taking a days holiday just to avoid crossing a picket line 

I imagine you would most definitely be in the majority,  and I certainly wouldn't  think  badly of you for it. 

However this doesnt mean Biffer doesnt have a back bone, that is my gripe.   In my opinion, and in this particular instance,  the fact he would do what most wouldnt means he has more of a back bone. I find it quite refreshing to hear that someone is considering others before themselves. 

I know not everyone will agree with this right enough. 

5 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I imagine you would most definitely be in the majority,  and I certainly wouldn't  think  badly of you for it. 

However this doesnt mean Biffer doesnt have a back bone, that is my gripe.   In my opinion, and in this particular instance,  the fact he would do what most wouldnt means he has more of a back bone. I find it quite refreshing to hear that someone is considering others before themselves. 

I know not everyone will agree with this right enough. 

I may have been a bit harsh with the backbone comment but calling people tories is just as bad

4 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

I may have been a bit harsh with the backbone comment but calling people tories is just as bad

👍 , a wee shade of grey creeping in there.

And I certainly wouldnt call you ‘grey’ , or a creep 🙂

On 3/16/2018 at 9:21 AM, biffer said:

I’m not worried about them trying to stop, I’m just personally uncomfortable crossing a picket line. It’s university lecturers, they’re hardly going to stop me if I want to go in! It’s more my personal feeling about respecting industrial action.

Without knowing the exact physical layout of the site it's hard to tell if the picket line would properly apply to you or not.

I thought the purpose of a picket line is to halt production / day to day business by stopping workers/management entering premises of a company/workplace. Crossing a picket line is 'bad' if by doing so you help the management keep business churning while the strike is on. If your work/place is not connected to the operation (or not) of the university then I'd say you'd be ethically in the clear.

On 3/16/2018 at 2:01 PM, biffer said:

It's nothing to do with upsetting anyone else. No one involved in a picket line here would have a problem with someone from another organisation crossing it. It's about my own ethics. Your first reaction was 'fuck the strikers'. It kind of sends a message about your ethics as well.

depends what they are striking over

some strikes in the past had limited basis, & was shop stewards screwing around - so i would think each strike is subject to its own review and decision & i wouldnt be bothered crossing a picket line i disagreed with 

On 3/17/2018 at 2:48 PM, exile said:

Without knowing the exact physical layout of the site it's hard to tell if the picket line would properly apply to you or not.

I thought the purpose of a picket line is to halt production / day to day business by stopping workers/management entering premises of a company/workplace. Crossing a picket line is 'bad' if by doing so you help the management keep business churning while the strike is on. If your work/place is not connected to the operation (or not) of the university then I'd say you'd be ethically in the clear.

shades of grey here - strikers are not always in the right & "Scabs" are not always in the wrong 

In the 70's there were a load of strikes going on for fuck all 

I remember once in the 80's when i worked for the Royal Bank, we went on strike - but the way that management got round this was to take all of us into his room to discuss it, for the duration of the period of the time we were meant to be striking, so in effect we weren't striking per se, but also didn't work - can't even remember what it was over - guess pay increases 

you're not crossing a picket in my view in this instance.

In the private sector it's a shame there are little to few unions left really.  a lot of folk in office job positions getting shafted year on year... hardly any union representation left.

Public sector still have it but Private has been lost to dog eat dog.

A lot wrong with Unions but absolutely imperative nonetheless.  

7 hours ago, euan2020 said:

shades of grey here - strikers are not always in the right & "Scabs" are not always in the wrong

I was writing from the point of view of the original poster, who was concerned about crossing a picket line

There would be no thread, if the original poster didn't have 'ethical' qualms or consider it in some way 'wrong' to cross a picket line 

• 5 months later...

I’ve got a similar issue potentially....

the GMB members at my work are being balloted on industrial action. They make up roughly 1/3rd of the hourly paid workforce. 

If it goes ahead I’m feeling uneasy about crossing a picket line. I’m a non-member and “salaried” so not directly implicated in the union activity but do support their stance. 

Has anyone been in a similar situation?

5 hours ago, they've_been_suckered said:

I’ve got a similar issue potentially....

the GMB members at my work are being balloted on industrial action. They make up roughly 1/3rd of the hourly paid workforce. 

If it goes ahead I’m feeling uneasy about crossing a picket line. I’m a non-member and “salaried” so not directly implicated in the union activity but do support their stance. 

Has anyone been in a similar situation?

Phone in sick, hey ho your salaried anyway. I bet you wont be the only one..