russia poisioning - Page 11 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

5 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

And they wonder why people are seeking their news from alternative sources. 

This is fantastic. 

It's telling that after all the crap that came from politicians about RT being an arm of the Kremlin and are not to be trusted, that they're one of the few news organisations to actually report the story.

2 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Russian poisoning is currently eighth on BBC website. No mention at all of how Porton Downs statement contradicts what the Foreign Secretary said. We're treated like mushrooms.

It's pretty galling isn't it.

My closest friends don't even watch the news anymore, just concentrate on their own lives and raising their families. They're forever telling me to just ignore things outside sphere's I can't influence. Which is probably good advice. I hate this shit though lol

1 hour ago, phart said:

Being reported that this tweet has disappeared. Direct quote from British Ambassador to Russia Laurie Bristow.

29684048_629132834090842_802012688816006

The FCO is saying that the initial tweet was deleted as it "was truncated and did not accurately report our ambassador’s words".

7 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Russian poisoning is currently eighth on BBC website. No mention at all of how Porton Downs statement contradicts what the Foreign Secretary said. We're treated like mushrooms.

On Radio4 this morning they played the audio of BJ being interviewed and challenged by a Russian journalist. It's weird how different arms of BBC news make different editorial judgements on what to include. Almost like they're changing content dependent on the demographic of each media channel...

14 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Top headline on ITV News at 10 there. Didn't see where the Beeb put it though.

10 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Top headline on ITV News at 10 there. Didn't see where the Beeb put it though.

It was on and off Sky yesterday afternoon but that was hours after Reuters ( and other sources as Phart showed on here)  was reporting it , which is ridiculous for such an important headline.

Its like you can actually hear them dragging their heels and saying Fck it, we cant hold back any longer. I dont tend to read too much into who is reporting what but even I can see how slowly this is being delivered . 

12 hours ago, aaid said:

You have to wonder just what Boris Johnson has to do before he gets sacked. 

Boris wants to be sacked and May knows it. He wants to be able to stand outside the cabinet criticising how badly Brexit is being handled and say how much better it'd be if he was in charge, and when everything goes to shit he wants to ride and and be next PM. May is playing the long game that he'd actually be even more damaging if he wasn't involved (hard to believe but I actually think it's true) and also trying to screw his chances of ever being PM. I don't agree with her on many things but I think she's playing Boris right.

it's surprising that the test facility chose to speak publicly.   Although i'm not sure they're alledging that the Russian's didn't do it.  All he's saying is it's novochok and added to intelligence he hasn't seen the UK Government believe it to be the Russians.

I don't think you can really play diplomacy by saying you're fairly sure about something when it's of this type.  The Russians aren't going to admit to it and gaining beyond any doubt is always going to be difficult.  The UK Government and the UN should have allowed independent testing however it's understandable why they are reticent.  They will be concerned the committee will almost certainly return a not proven verdict which would make them look very foolish.

It's a bit like when everybody in the court knows the accused did it but have to let them off with it.  But this isn't a court of law, the UK has a right to say what it believes to be the case and clearly its allies agree.  Do we just fail to react to clear breaches of international conduct simply because the perpetrator has been clever about it?  Hardly.  I understand where people are coming from but you have to decide what is the best approach to deal with a complex issue.  How would those complaining deal with it knowing it was probably the Russians?

Edited by PapofGlencoe

1 hour ago, biffer said:

Boris wants to be sacked and May knows it. He wants to be able to stand outside the cabinet criticising how badly Brexit is being handled and say how much better it'd be if he was in charge, and when everything goes to shit he wants to ride and and be next PM. May is playing the long game that he'd actually be even more damaging if he wasn't involved (hard to believe but I actually think it's true) and also trying to screw his chances of ever being PM. I don't agree with her on many things but I think she's playing Boris right.

surely Boris is a busted flush.  Even his most fervent admirers must admit he won't be able to carry a country with a majority..  although you never know Trump is in office.

22 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

it's surprising that the test facility chose to speak publicly.   Although i'm not sure they're alledging that the Russian's didn't do it.  All he's saying is it's novochok and added to intelligence he hasn't seen the UK Government believe it to be the Russians.

I don't think you can really play diplomacy by saying you're fairly sure about something when it's of this type.  The Russians aren't going to admit to it and gaining beyond any doubt is always going to be difficult.  The UK Government and the UN should have allowed independent testing however it's understandable why they are reticent.  They will be concerned the committee will almost certainly return a not proven verdict which would make them look very foolish.

It's a bit like when everybody in the court knows the accused did it but have to let them off with it.  But this isn't a court of law, the UK has a right to say what it believes to be the case and clearly its allies agree.  Do we just fail to react to clear breaches of international conduct simply because the perpetrator has been clever about it?  Hardly.  I understand where people are coming from but you have to decide what is the best approach to deal with a complex issue.  How would those complaining deal with it knowing it was probably the Russians?

I wouldn't have the FCO lie nor the foreign secretary.

Just now, PapofGlencoe said:

Sorry, i'm not meaning to be glib but i'm asking what you would do not what you wouldn't.

Said before in the thread, follow international protocols for the incident. Share the sample immediately with the OPCW, get independent verification and then present the evidence. Not say Russia did it and then try and get the evidence to fit.

It was wandering off from established protocols that makes it suspicious.