Moving to Scotland from Northern Ireland - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Moving to Scotland from Northern Ireland

Where better to ask than a Scotland national team football forum eh? Gutted we both aren't going to the World Cup. Anyways... (asking in as many places as possible to get the best answers)

Hello. The thread title is pretty self-explanatory, but I’ll put a bit more background info. In here. I’m a 24 year old male who lives in Northern Ireland, and I’m looking to move to Scotland next year or so. Aside from family, there’s nothing much for me here, and I’ve always loved Scotland, and I feel this is something I have to eventually do to proceed to the next step in my life. I have a friend who goes to university there over in Dundee, and she highly recommends it to me. However, I obviously have a load of questions, and I’m struggling to find answers online.

I have about £5,000 raised up for the move, and I’d be looking at renting a flat. I’d love to live in the Perth area, but is it affordable for someone like me? What is some of the more affordable areas?

I only work about 22 hours a week at the moment for a retail company in Northern Ireland in the North Coast area. In terms of experience, I only have had two previous jobs in the retail sector. I’m also going to undertake an SIA license course next month to qualify for some security work, so I guess that’s something. Would there be work for me around the Perth area, or areas like Glasgow? How would I find out? Do I make sure to get the job before the move, or after? (I’d be afraid incase I wouldn’t get any work). If before, how’d I explain to employers? I just have a lot of confusion over that part. Suppose I could ask for a transfer next year at my current place if a position with enough hours in Scotland opens up, or at least transfer and then seek somewhere else.

Would my driving license in NI also be valid in Scotland? I’m also prescribed to antidepressants, so I assume I’d have to register to a different doctor in Scotland too, with confirmation of my medical history from my current doctor?

Alongside this, when moving, how’d I’d move some of my personal possessions over to Scotland? i.e. record collection, guitars, television, etc.? If someone could provide some info., it’d be brilliant. Thank you.

Edited by fadingaway94

A lot of jobs getting cut in retail just now, so I’d see if you can get something lined up before you come over. Rather than leave your job with nothing lined up given the current climate.

Wouldn’t think there’s much going on in Perth, but only place I’ve been is McDiarmid park and the McDonalds at the services. :lol: 

Glasgow is a good city to live in/near in my opinion. Probably a good bet if you’re looking for retail and or bouncer work.

On 07/03/2018 at 10:06 PM, fadingaway94 said:

I only work about 22 hours a week at the moment for a retail company in Northern Ireland in the North Coast area. In terms of experience, I only have had two previous jobs in the retail sector. I’m also going to undertake an SIA license course next month to qualify for some security work, so I guess that’s something. Would there be work for me around the Perth area, or areas like Glasgow? How would I find out? Do I make sure to get the job before the move, or after? (I’d be afraid incase I wouldn’t get any work). If before, how’d I explain to employers? I just have a lot of confusion over that part. Suppose I could ask for a transfer next year at my current place if a position with enough hours in Scotland opens up, or at least transfer and then seek somewhere else.

I'd recommend having some sort of job in place before moving across, if at all possible, so you're not worrying about money when you've just moved into a new place. Transferring may the best way to go though, particularly to allow you to get settled in your new environment and you could look for something else once you're settled in the area. Even doing something like a modern apprenticeship may be something to look at, as you can learn something new while getting some income from it - perhaps alongside a part time job.

Having a look on company job websites would probably be a good idea - to get a rough idea of what's around the area where you'd be looking to move to. Although with retail, there won't necessarily be a fixed window for jobs so there may be times when there are lots of jobs around and times when there are hardly any - particularly in smaller towns.

Explaining your reasons for moving countries shouldn't be a problem - could be that you need a change in environment as you feel that it will allow you to improve your mood, or something like that. I'm in a similar boat down in England - not much keeping me here apart from family, watching my local football team, the cost of moving and my mental health. I feel that moving to Scotland would give me more opportunities in life, while living closer to more like minded people - something that makes me feel quite detached in my local area.

On 07/03/2018 at 10:06 PM, fadingaway94 said:

Would my driving license in NI also be valid in Scotland? I’m also prescribed to antidepressants, so I assume I’d have to register to a different doctor in Scotland too, with confirmation of my medical history from my current doctor?

The driving licence should be valid in Scotland for a period of time, but you should be able to exchange a Northern Ireland driving licence for a Great Britain one here - https://www.gov.uk/exchange-foreign-driving-licence. (I didn't actually realise that NI had different driving licences before now).

You'll have to register at local doctors' surgery, but I'm fairly certain they should be able to access, or request, your medical records from Northern Ireland when you register. Although, it may be worth asking your current doctor for a copy of them just in case. You may need to see a doctor in Scotland so they can ensure that your prescription is continued, although given that you're already taking something I can't see you having any issues in renewing the prescription (should it be required). You may be able to transfer your prescription across to somewhere local to where you'd be living without having to see a doctor, although I'm not sure if it would be possible between NI and Scotland, due to the different healthcare systems.