Squad and new players - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad and new players

Scout

19 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Stats based ratings I check had McBurnie as best Barnsley player on park solid enough performance by Lyndsey too 

see what you want to see I guess

Sorry but is this the Cardiff game ? McBurnie scored and Barnsley had 61% possession 😂. I didn’t see it but how bad a game can he have had ? Paterson scored as well.

1 hour ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Sorry but is this the Cardiff game ? McBurnie scored and Barnsley had 61% possession 😂. I didn’t see it but how bad a game can he have had ? Paterson scored as well.

How bad a game can he have had? He was terrible, utterly terrible. Couldn’t hold the ball up, couldn’t pass, could barely run. Yes he scored but it would’ve been harder to miss.

Like I said I haven’t seen much of him so maybe he can do better. In fact I’d be amazed if he can’t because last night he looked like he’d never played the game before.

Put it this way, if McLeish had watched him last night there would be a massive big X beside his name in his notebook his morning.

As for the stats saying he was Barnsley’s best player, lord know what stats suggest that but he wasn’t. Not that they didn’t much with all their possession.

Edited by DaveyDenoon

1 hour ago, DaveyDenoon said:

How bad a game can he have had? He was terrible, utterly terrible. Couldn’t hold the ball up, couldn’t pass, could barely run. Yes he scored but it would’ve been harder to miss.

Like I said I haven’t seen much of him so maybe he can do better. In fact I’d be amazed if he can’t because last night he looked like he’d never played the game before.

Put it this way, if McLeish had watched him last night there would be a massive big X beside his name in his notebook his morning.

As for the stats saying he was Barnsley’s best player, lord know what stats suggest that but he wasn’t. Not that they didn’t much with all their possession.

Give that he was EPL u23 player of the year last season, he must have at least a modicum of ability. Some of the goals he’s scored for Barnsley have been excellent.

9 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:

My own squad would likely be: 

Allan McGregor, David Marshall, Jon McLaughlin;

Callum Paterson, Kieran Tierney, Andy Robertson, Christophe Berra, Scott McKenna, John Souttar, Charlie Mulgrew, Liam Lindsay;

John McGinn, Scott McTominay, James McArthur, Ryan Fraser, James Forrest, Tom Cairney, Callum McGregor, Stuart Armstrong (if he can get back to fitness), Robert Snodgrass;

Leigh Griffiths, Oliver McBurnie, Jason Cummings.

Standby players would be: Greg Docherty, Matt Phillips, Chris Martin, Grant Hanley, Jordan Archer, Matt Ritchie, James Morrison.

If Darren Fletcher doesn't make it playing wise, would like to see him in and around the squad as a coach.

It's funny I got all excited for a couple of weeks and then see a squad like that and realise just how lacking depth we are. Time to admit Paterson is not a right back and no matter how many times he played there he is a far better right sided midfielder. Basically we have 5 or 6 decent players but don't know were to play them.

Archer has to be in the squad and personally so does Grant Hanley

my team would be 

Archer

Tierney Hanley Lindsay Robertson

Paterson McTominay Cairney Fraser

Snodgrass

McBurnie/ Griffiths if fit

Subs all the SPL players

Think that shows how highly I rate the SPL 

7 hours ago, jamboman said:

I hope to god non of the first choice squad get injured.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

It's funny I got all excited for a couple of weeks and then see a squad like that and realise just how lacking depth we are. Time to admit Paterson is not a right back and no matter how many times he played there he is a far better right sided midfielder. Basically we have 5 or 6 decent players but don't know were to play them.

Archer has to be in the squad and personally so does Grant Hanley

my team would be 

Archer

Tierney Hanley Lindsay Robertson

Paterson McTominay Cairney Fraser

Snodgrass

McBurnie/ Griffiths if fit

Subs all the SPL players

Think that shows how highly I rate the SPL 

Interesting the contrast in feeling, the Anglos being derided and the SPFL players also being derided.

For what it is worth, our storming run last campaign came when WGS blended the best of both, with the Celtic spine combining with a few from down south.

We have to find a happy medium between the two and I hope my 23 did that. Personally I would also continue with what Strachan stumbled across, that we play better with pace and possession rather than the somewhat laboured and pedestrian displays of 2015 and 2016.

If nothing else, my squad has caused some debate which is what it was intended to do!

10 hours ago, DaveyDenoon said:

He played well according this article. Saw his goal too, really nice first touch and finish. http://www.insidewalessport.co.uk/talented-mcburnie-delivers-promising-display/

From what i’ve read and the bits and pieces I’ve seen Lindsay deserves a call up too.

12 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Callum Paterson, Kieran Tierney, Andy Robertson, Christophe Berra, Scott McKenna, John Souttar, Charlie Mulgrew, Liam Lindsay;

John McGinn, Scott McTominay, James McArthur, Ryan Fraser, James Forrest, Tom Cairney, Callum McGregor, Stuart Armstrong (if he can get back to fitness), Robert Snodgrass;

Standby players would be: Greg Docherty, Matt Phillips, Chris Martin, Grant Hanley, Jordan Archer, Matt Ritchie, James Morrison.

If Darren Fletcher doesn't make it playing wise, would like to see him in and around the squad as a coach.

I’d almost pick the exact same squad as you. 

I’d drop Mulgrew though. I don’t think we need to be picking 32 year olds playing in League 1. And I’m still not convinced of his defensive capabilities. 

I’d give his place to Hanley. Playing well for Norwich and I think he’s the kind of centre back to improve with age, I wouldn’t give up on him yet. 

I’d be tempted by Hendry over McKenna too. 

I think you’re right about Fletcher too. I’d find a place for him even if we didn’t intend in playing him. 

I’m excited to see a centre midfield of Cairney, McTominay and either Armstrong or McGinn. I think Cairney is brilliant, can’t believe he hasn’t been picked up by a top 10 English club. If he can carry over his form for Fulham to us, we’ll be creating a ton of chances and playing some really good football. And McTominay could be the perfect player the shore up the midfield. McGinn or Armstrong can play the box to box type. 

To me this seems like a more dynamic and creative midfield than a Brown, Morrison, McCarthur type. Hopefully we get to see it in the friendlies.

8 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:

For what it is worth, our storming run last campaign came when WGS blended the best of both, with the Celtic spine combining with a few from down south.

With Brown gone and the emergence of McTominay and the improvement we have seen in Cairney(probably always there)  and Snodgrass. I think the Celtic spine is not what it was

30 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

With Brown gone and the emergence of McTominay and the improvement we have seen in Cairney(probably always there)  and Snodgrass. I think the Celtic spine is not what it was

Nonetheless the dynamism of Armstrong was as key as Brown. Our play in the last two games was a lot slower when Bannan reappeared. To ignore Armstrong purely on the basis of the league he plays in would be counter productive. For what it is worth Snoddy flattered to deceive over the last two years and Hanley is too mistake prone for us.

6 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

I’d almost pick the exact same squad as you. 

I’d drop Mulgrew though. I don’t think we need to be picking 32 year olds playing in League 1. And I’m still not convinced of his defensive capabilities. 

I’d give his place to Hanley. Playing well for Norwich and I think he’s the kind of centre back to improve with age, I wouldn’t give up on him yet. 

I’d be tempted by Hendry over McKenna too. 

I think you’re right about Fletcher too. I’d find a place for him even if we didn’t intend in playing him. 

I’m excited to see a centre midfield of Cairney, McTominay and either Armstrong or McGinn. I think Cairney is brilliant, can’t believe he hasn’t been picked up by a top 10 English club. If he can carry over his form for Fulham to us, we’ll be creating a ton of chances and playing some really good football. And McTominay could be the perfect player the shore up the midfield. McGinn or Armstrong can play the box to box type. 

To me this seems like a more dynamic and creative midfield than a Brown, Morrison, McCarthur type. Hopefully we get to see it in the friendlies.

My view is Hanley is very slow and cumbersome, quite prone to a mistake for Scotland. Hence my preference of Mulgrew. I haven't seen enough of young Hendry to comment either way.

Agreed on the need for quick play in the middle of the park. When we got that last campaign, we started to get deserved results.

17 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

My view is Hanley is very slow and cumbersome, quite prone to a mistake for Scotland. Hence my preference of Mulgrew. I haven't seen enough of young Hendry to comment either way.

Agreed on the need for quick play in the middle of the park. When we got that last campaign, we started to get deserved results.

Hanley is way quicker than Mulgrew. People assume he’s slow because of his build, but he isn’t.

59 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

A dynamic midfield with Snodgrass in it. Jesus wept. Unbelievable how over-rated he is on here. 

He was a member of the problem slow midfield at the start of last campaign along with Ritchie. Need more pace in there than those two. Worthy of a squad place but he wouldn't start for me due to often ponderous play.

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Hanley is way quicker than Mulgrew. People assume he’s slow because of his build, but he isn’t.

My other reasons for Mulgrew over Hanley is he is better with the ball at his feet which is increasingly important, less mistake prone and he formed part of a much improved defence in 2017, whereas when Hanley played more often in the previous 3 years, we were very poor at the back.

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

A dynamic midfield with Snodgrass in it. Jesus wept. Unbelievable how over-rated he is on here. 

Agreed.

Hopefully Monday’s announcement can be met with optimism with youth given its chance.

Id sooner see Harry Cochrane’s name than Barry Bannan’s for example. 

Doesnt anyone else think here that Mcleish could be timing this really well..

All this chat of he should be in and naw he should be instead means we have some good options and some exciting young players.. we haven't always.

Solid central midfield, built around cairney as playmaker, robertson bombing forward, captain tierney marshalling defence, griffiths now confident as main man up front.. exciting fast inside forwards like forrest, fraser and burke that can commit defenders and drive into the box..

Bit worried though we no longer strong in terms of having an outstanding keeper and also cant think for certain who our best right back is.

But things could be on the up..

My starting team

Mcgregor

Martin.    Mulgrew    Tierney.      

Forrest.                                        Robertson

Mctominay.  Cairney

Snodgrass.                Fraser

Griffiths

Rest of squad

Archer

McLaughlin 

Lindsay

Berra

Paterson

Douglas

Mcginn

Mcarthur 

Armstrong 

C Mcgregor

Burke

Mcburnie

Naismith

On 3/7/2018 at 10:52 AM, BucksburnDandy said:

Pretty much identical to the squad I would pick tbh.

Would possibly have Burke/Christie in squad too, and maybe Archer over Marshall.

Just please to god no Greame Shinnie - most overrated player in Scotland.

FWIW My XI Would be if all fit

McLaughlin

Paterson Berra McKenna Tierney

Forrest McTominay McGinn Robertson

Armstrong

Griffiths

(I know CP playing CM for Cardiff but we have nobody else) 

11 hours ago, jackhayes17 said:

Pretty much identical to the squad I would pick tbh.

Would possibly have Burke/Christie in squad too, and maybe Archer over Marshall.

Just please to god no Greame Shinnie - most overrated player in Scotland.

FWIW My XI Would be if all fit

McLaughlin

Paterson Berra McKenna Tierney

Forrest McTominay McGinn Robertson

Armstrong

Griffiths

(I know CP playing CM for Cardiff but we have nobody else) 

Yes we do.  Phil Bardsley is a better RB than Patterson.  He should be in the team.