Squad and new players - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad and new players

Scout

31 minutes ago, hannibal smith said:

Wouldn't call it a snub if he was informed by the boss.   I'm glad that he still wants to play.

Are folk still thinking we'll go with three centre-backs or were they just trying to fit Tierney in beside Robertson?

48 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Hendry also played about 25-30 games for Dundee before his January move this season didn’t he!? 

Which highlights my point. Guys barely in the door at Celtic and he's called up to the main squad. Also why the fuck have we not called up Berra.

25 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Which highlights my point. Guys barely in the door at Celtic and he's called up to the main squad. Also why the fuck have we not called up Berra.

You do realise that we have 10 uncapped players in the squad. You can't pick out the 1 players that has only just moved to Celtic and been called up to try and make a point. 

The manager is trying lots of new players. A good amount of them moved in the transfer window. Some of them did not. Stop trying to see things that aren't there. 

For the record, I wouldn't have called up Hendry. I'd have gone for Lindsay instead but maybe a CB for a team losing every week isn't what the manager is looking for right now. 

Edited by PASTA Mick

39 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Disgrace that Berra has been dropped.

Know your on record as saying age doesn't matter, but one 30+ central defender is more than enough in a friendly squad. Glad Martin is out, amazed he was there in the first place but that does follow the old firm bias more than any thing else.

Should have been Lyndsay  called up, but he should have been in the original squad as well.

Hardly a disgrace Berra has been left out.

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

Hibs have seen some of their players called up, and agree on Killie's form, but do we really need to call up 34 year old Kris Boyd for the first time in 7 years when we should be looking to the future? Taylor and Wilson are in the U21's so fair enough, but would have liked to have seen Eamonn Brophy maybe thought about (because Boyd is scoring, he is somewhat being over shadowed).

Can not really think of anyone else that could be called up (as I said previously, Murphy is in there on some good form, but I am not convinced on Cummings)

I'll get slagged for this of the usual suspects but my first name for a call up from our team would be Stephen O'Donnell.

Even more so given we haven't actually got a right back!

2 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'll get slagged for this of the usual suspects but my first name for a call up from our team would be Stephen O'Donnell.

Even more so given we haven't actually got a right back!

We haven't had one for years so might be an idea. Out of curiosity how have Greer and Broadfoot looked, for a champioship/spl comparison?

5 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

We haven't had one for years so might be an idea. Out of curiosity how have Greer and Broadfoot looked, for a champioship/spl comparison?

Greer has been in and out of the team but Broadfoot after a slow start has been outstanding since SC came in.

Never thought I'd utter those words!

5 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Wouldn't call it a snub if he was informed by the boss.   I'm glad that he still wants to play.

Are folk still thinking we'll go with three centre-backs or were they just trying to fit Tierney in beside Robertson?

As a Hibby it pains me to say this- I am disappointed Berra isn't in the squad.

He is decent and like you said, he wants to play.

52 minutes ago, DizzyVizion said:

As a Hibby it pains me to say this- I am disappointed Berra isn't in the squad.

He is decent and like you said, he wants to play.

McLeish knows what he can do and he is doing the right thing in seeing youngsters in friendlies.  How many times have we, the supporters, complained that even in friendlies, the same squad members keep on getting picked.  I would have picked Lindsey over Hendry, but fair play he's picked another youngster and he's also looked towards the SPL

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

I’m all for giving youngsters a chance in friendlies but it should be evolution not revolution.  Berra is only 33, not old for a centre half.  Could easily do another campaign.  Hopefully we see him in the first competitive squad.  If two of the youngsters step up and play international level football I will happy to be wrong.

In terms of winning tackles, and blocking shots, and winning headers, Berra is probably the best defender we have. The problem is, the modern centre-half needs to be comfortable with the ball at his feet too, and Berra isn't. As far as I can tell, Lindsay is in the same mould as Berra. I guess that's why they're not in the squad.

7 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Berra is only 33, not old for a centre half.  Could easily do another campaign. 

Name one international class central defender over the age of 33 who wasn't world class to begin with. Might be young enough for the local pub team but at international level forget it.

Sooner have Liam cooper or some one who is just as good but 5 years younger and would actually last a 2 year campaign and maybe even another one after that. Lets go for stable mediocrity rather declining mediocrity 

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

Basically saying he is "captain material" and sounding him out in a in depth interview.

Well, Klopp has already said he has all the qualities. Basically a captain has to start every match. So if it is Robertson then Tierney will be 3rd centre back when he returns.

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Name one international class central defender over the age of 33 who wasn't world class to begin with. Might be young enough for the local pub team but at international level forget it.

Sooner have Liam cooper or some one who is just as good but 5 years younger and would actually last a 2 year campaign and maybe even another one after that. Lets go for stable mediocrity rather declining mediocrity 

If you think Cooper is as good as Berra I feel sorry for you. 

43 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

If you think Cooper is as good as Berra I feel sorry for you. 

I think Cooper is as bad as Berra is that the same thing.

One of them couldn't get a game in the championship the other one captains a championship team. one of them is 27 the other is 33, I know you don't rate him which is fair enough but he would have been found out long ago if he was as bad as you think.

Mind you probably better of with Berra on the grounds of attitude if nothing else. Bottom line if either of them are good enough for Scotland we are not good enough.

Starting to wonder what McLeish had been doing prior to being appointed. He seems to over rate the SPL yet didn't pick the best central defender in it last year.

4 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Thats irrelevant....  all that matters is who is going to get us the best results in the next qualifying campaign.  Best player for the position irrespective of age.  Berra has had a terrific season and can justify his place.  

Not sure why people are gutted Berra's not in there.

It's blindingly obvious why he's absent, and it's nothing to do with McLeish not ever wanting to pick him ever again. We know full well what Berra can do and when competitive games come around, then he'll almost certainly be back in the fold. These two games are about finding out what other options are available to fill out the squad and cover if there are injuries.

I don't understand anyone crying about Berra's absence at all.
Why would you not want to blood new players in friendlies?