Squad and new players - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad and new players

Scout

1 minute ago, PASTA Mick said:

Very different to the squad that was first picked for Slovakia and Slovenia.

Gordon, Anya, Berra, Cooper, Whittaker, Bannan, Brown, D Fletcher, McArthur, Morrison, Snodgrass, S Fletcher, Griffiths and Martin all missing. 

Replaced by McLaughlin, Douglas, Martin, McKenna, Paterson, Cairney, McDonald, McGeouch, McGregor, McLean, McTominay, Murphy, Christie, Cummings and McBurnie. 

It does like a lot diffetent to Strachans squads. 

Which makes the folk moaning baffling. 1 or 2 others I would have liked but there will always be 1 or 2. At least it isn't like Strachan where you could name 11 players you would have preferred in the squad

7 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Very different to the squad that was first picked for Slovakia and Slovenia.

Gordon, Anya, Berra, Cooper, Whittaker, Bannan, Brown, D Fletcher, McArthur, Morrison, Snodgrass, S Fletcher, Griffiths and Martin all missing. 

Replaced by McLaughlin, Douglas, Martin, McKenna, Paterson, Cairney, McDonald, McGeouch, McGregor, McLean, McTominay, Murphy, Christie, Cummings and McBurnie. 

It does look a lot different to Strachans squads. 

Never said it was a Strachan squad (McGregor, McLean, Christie, Cummings were in the last squad (granted MacKays).... Martin and Paterson have been in their fair share of squads over the years... with Murphy, McDoanld and Cairney have been here and there).

Saying that, it still has something of a stamp of a strachan'esque squad, with really McLaughlin, McKenna, McGeouch McTominay and McBurnie the only real fresh/new faces in the squad (I never expected more than 5 or 6 new faces from what we are used to seeing)

Edited by wanderer

17 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Phillips and Ritchie are awful choices. 3 lbs too, hoping hell maybe give Douglas a chance and play Tierney or Robertson further up to see how they go.

not the most inspiring squad

Looking at the options Tierney will stay as a CB imo. Douglas will get a start, doubt Liverpool at this stage of the season will want Robertson starting both games.

23 minutes ago, drew said:

Which makes the folk moaning baffling. 1 or 2 others I would have liked but there will always be 1 or 2. At least it isn't like Strachan where you could name 11 players you would have preferred in the squad

Correct.

Under Strachan and even long before him folk would mump and moan about the same players getting picked for friendlies and not given untried and youngsters an opportunity

McLeish said when he announced it that there's a number of players that he knows what they can do and that he wants to try something different

Some people just like coming on here and moaning for the sake of it

1 minute ago, Tartan Chris said:

Forgot about Anya, he would've been a cert if Stachan had stayed as he's playing for Derby again.

Paterson deserves to be in, what's the issue with that? Been in great form for Cardiff.

When speaking about Patterson he highlighted the goals he's been scoring for Cardiff so I'm reading that as he means he won't be playing right back

46 minutes ago, hannibal smith said:

Berra had a scan on his ankle after taking injections to play the last few games for Hearts so no great surprise he has been left out. Souttar was a doubt for Friday night so he may well be injured too.

Thought Lindsay would have made it though 

Cheers, never realised that about Berra. I thought there was nothing up with him other than the head knock the other week.

Lots of new faces which I suppose is the whole point of friendly matches. Lack of firepower up front still a concern from a squad perspective, realistically Griffiths that's missing and Snodgrass as more of a forward than striker. And need to remember the time of year for these 2 games with loads of clubs fighting for final places - how many were approached and were unable to commit? 

1 hour ago, daviebee said:

Fkin pish!  WTF have Murphy and Martin done recently other than get a loan move to Ibrox?

No outrage for McGeouch getting called up? Murphy has 3 goals and 6 assists in 10 games for Rangers while Dylan McGeouch has 1 assist in 35 games for Hibs this season.

2 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I’ve been surprised how good Murphy’s been at Rangers. Their best player against Celtic and probably the form attacker in Scotland. He’s got a real off the cuff style.

Can't get a game at Brighton, Half a dozen games for Rangers and he is in the Scotland squad. He's 28 and just another backward move for us.

Makes you wonder just how good the SPL is.

24 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I’ve been surprised how good Murphy’s been at Rangers. Their best player against Celtic and probably the form attacker in Scotland. He’s got a real off the cuff style.

Given Rangers form since Christmas, its pretty hard not to over look some of their players (especially Murphy!) but far from convinced on Cummings inclusion, but again (bar a couple of blips) its hard not to take Rangers form since Murty started bringing players in during the January transfer window into account.

I would imagine Snodgrass is one of the players Eck had in mind when he said he knew what some players could do for him already (I imagine thats guys like Anya, Morrison, Fletcher (both), Martin, Snoddy etc) and this squad is more about making room to try out players like Cairney, McGeouch, McTorminay, Fraser etc (on form players who might not necessarily have found the room to break into the first team).

I fully expect his squad for May/June to resemble very little to this squad, with that squad more along the lines of more of the missing old guard, along with 5 or so new/fresh faces that have missed out this time around.

Edited by wanderer

13 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Can't get a game at Brighton, Half a dozen games for Rangers and he is in the Scotland squad. He's 28 and just another backward move for us.

Makes you wonder just how good the SPL is.

It says a lot about the SPFL compared with the EPL. He was a good player in the Championship and I guess that’s his level. There are no better attackers from the SPFL that aren’t in the squad.