Squad and new players - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad and new players

Scout

7 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I suspect he hung up his international boots quietly about two years ago. The signs are there.

Or Strachan was too stupid to pick him. The signs are there.

Anyway he shouldn't be in the squad as he is too old. Experienced cover is over rated, and you need younger players there to give them a chance of getting experience. This has been holding us back sine Craig Brown

8 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Anyway he shouldn't be in the squad as he is too old. Experienced cover is over rated, and you need younger players there to give them a chance of getting experience. This has been holding us back sine Craig Brown

I think pick the best player in each position irrespective of whether they are 16 or 40.  I don’t think we have a better right back.  Like brown, it should announced if he has retired.  People would be asking questions if brown just suddenly wasn’t picked.

6 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Steven Caulker in press today saying he is now open to a Scotland call up....

We really shouldn't be picking someone that has played, and scored, for England. Youth players switching is bad enough but this is a step too far.

I can see why McLeish would be interested. It's a problem position and whilst we have some promising options at the moment that is all they are and none of them have been tested at a good level yet. 

23 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

We really shouldn't be picking someone that has played, and scored, for England. Youth players switching is bad enough but this is a step too far.

I can see why McLeish would be interested. It's a problem position and whilst we have some promising options at the moment that is all they are and none of them have been tested at a good level yet. 

Agree, while it's still within the rules we can still cap him and he is (arguably) better than most of what we have already, Eck is really going to have to sell sand to the Arabs to justify this one.

Sure Eck already knows 99% of his squad (which I do not think will vary to greatly from strachans, just freshing up here or there) I would be shocked if he was able to worm his way in at the last minute (unless Berra and/or Mulgrew were to pull out).... could be a convienetly planted story to get fans on side to the idea, but doubt this was ever in Ecks thinking.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

No sorry I don't buy that. Any player worth their salt who (for whatever reason are not called up) normally come out in the press reminding the manager he is still there and in form calling out for selection but we have heard none of that from Bardsley. Also he hasn't even been in the press complaining why he has been forgotten. Why? Sorry that says to me he is not too fussed or that he has quietly told the manager he has retired from international football and it has been hushed up.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No sorry I don't buy that. Any player worth their salt who (for whatever reason are not called up) normally come out in the press reminding the manager he is still there and in form calling out for selection but we have heard none of that from Bardsley. Also he hasn't even been in the press complaining why he has been forgotten. Why? Sorry that says to me he is not too fussed or that he has quietly told the manager he has retired from international football and it has been hushed up.

I have got a feeling that you are just making stuff up. Have you got anything to back that up?

3 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I have got a feeling that you are just making stuff up. Have you got anything to back that up?

Only the deafening silence from the player involved. Not once have we heard the player tout himself for selection or moan about being forgotten. Feel free to search around in the press or on the vastness of the internet and you will find nothing. That is odd in itself. All of that is not made up. It is my opinion that he has quit international football. I am not saying it is fact just my opinion. If he were to be vocal and state anger at being forgotten or pleading for selection it would prove that I am wrong but to date he hasn't so my theory remains a possibility.

12 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Only the deafening silence from the player involved. Not once have we heard the player tout himself for selection or moan about being forgotten. Feel free to search around in the press or on the vastness of the internet and you will find nothing. That is odd in itself. All of that is not made up. It is my opinion that he has quit international football. I am not saying it is fact just my opinion. If he were to be vocal and state anger at being forgotten or pleading for selection it would prove that I am wrong but to date he hasn't so my theory remains a possibility.

He hasn't retired, although seems to not be overly fussed about being picked though.

I think Bardsley has been good enough to have earnt more caps but he really does have the weakest link to Scotland of all the players we've capped. There is no real link to Scotland from any of his family so it's not exactly surprising that he isn't bothered. 

On 09/03/2018 at 12:49 AM, Templeton_Peck said:

My starting team

Mcgregor

Martin.    Mulgrew    Tierney.      

Forrest.                                        Robertson

Mctominay.  Cairney

Snodgrass.                Fraser

Griffiths

Thats a truly shocking team.

“I’m not really interested to be perfectly honest — I just want to go on holiday for four days!"

Bardsley shouldn't be considered IMO

We need players who are hungry and want to play for Scotland

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

Perhaps a reason he has been over-looked then.

Thats always been my suspicion with Bardsley.

On this subject, we shouldn't have players in the team who see it is a CV enhancing opportunity. You either feel an allegiance to Scotland or you don't. I don't see much motivation for Bardsley, he won't get paid and he probably doesn't see himself as scottish so what's the point in calling him up?

7 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

“I’m not really interested to be perfectly honest — I just want to go on holiday for four days!"

Bardsley shouldn't be considered IMO

We need players who are hungry and want to play for Scotland

That sounds to me like he's pissed off he never got picked and is dismissing it by saying he's not bothered.

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

That sounds to me like he's pissed off he never got picked and is dismissing it by saying he's not bothered.

If that were the case he would say he's disappointed at not being called up and hopes to be considered in the future

3 hours ago, Malcolm said:

I think pick the best player in each position irrespective of whether they are 16 or 40.  I don’t think we have a better right back.  Like brown, it should announced if he has retired.  People would be asking questions if brown just suddenly wasn’t picked.

That's were we have been going wrong . At 32 your ability is in decline so unless you were exceptional at 27 you should be let go.  We have the likes of cairney with next to no international experience because we prefer not to gamble on potential.

Edited by ceudmilefailte