McKenna - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

McKenna

er yir macaroon

I see Arnason in the papers today saying McKenna is the quickest player in the Aberdeen team. Considering he’s such a mountain of a player this is quite surprising to me, especially with GMS, McGinn and Logan in the team. He’s got a good left foot as well. I’m fairly sure this adds up to a transfer to EPL. He’s had a great partnership with Souttar at u21 level and expect both to be in McLeish’s squad tomorrow.

U21's have a qualifier at the end of the month, and even though its only against Andorra, you would think McLeish will limit the number of U21's he will call up (more chance for them to get a game for U21's, than to feature here and there over the two freindlies for the main team).

19 minutes ago, wanderer said:

U21's have a qualifier at the end of the month, and even though its only against Andorra, you would think McLeish will limit the number of U21's he will call up (more chance for them to get a game for U21's, than to feature here and there over the two freindlies for the main team).

I don’t know. I’d go with three from Souttar, Berra, McKenna and Tierney for centre back. Lindsay is also in the mix I suppose. 

I’d bring in Harry Souttar for Andorra.

7 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Hanley is playing regularly and regarded as on of the best centre backs in the championship,has loads of experience and is still young enough to have six years ahead of him 

I didn’t think he deserved the pelters he received when he became a bit of a target for the boo boys.

A lot of the names mentioned aren’t as good as Hanley, could McLeish get the best out of him? He wasn’t too shabby at centre half himself.

Having watched McKenna struggle on loan at Ayr last season I’m not convinced he’s the player he’s made out to be or at least not yet.

Too many stupid tackles in and around the box. One of which against Hibs resulted in a penalty, a red card and him being sent back to Aberdeen.

26 minutes ago, Baz said:

Having watched McKenna struggle on loan at Ayr last season I’m not convinced he’s the player he’s made out to be or at least not yet.

Too many stupid tackles in and around the box. One of which against Hibs resulted in a penalty, a red card and him being sent back to Aberdeen.

Your not describing the player playing at Aberdeen. He's currently AFC's best CB and a great prospect for both club and country

27 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Your not describing the player playing at Aberdeen. He's currently AFC's best CB and a great prospect for both club and country

Admittedly I haven’t seen much of him this year so maybe he’s improved but it’d have to be a substantial improvement from last year.

Aberdeen’s defence hasn’t been too hot this year though, 5th best in the league so being the best CB at AFC hardly makes him ready. 

I’m not saying he’s not a prospect and I’m sure he’ll be a Scotland player in the future but I think it’s maybe too soon right now.

Friendlies are the time to try things out though so no harm done really.

5 minutes ago, Baz said:

Admittedly I haven’t seen much of him this year so maybe he’s improved but it’d have to be a substantial improvement from last year.

Aberdeen’s defence hasn’t been too hot this year though, 5th best in the league so being the best CB at AFC hardly makes him ready. 

I’m not saying he’s not a prospect and I’m sure he’ll be a Scotland player in the future but I think it’s maybe too soon right now.

You are right about aberdeen but the stats don't and rarely ever tell the full story. Mckenna looks the experienced defender in that back four, if anything he's the one holding it together. 

6 minutes ago, Baz said:

The defence is more to do with the players around him.

Arnason hasn't been the signing we expected, O'Connor is awful, Considine has struggled in the big games as he hasn't had the protection Hayes would offer, Logan is deteriorating and we failed to replace Jack in midfield. If it wasn't for McKenna that stat would be worse and Hibs would be ahead of us. It makes you appreciate Ash Taylor

I don't know how but he has massively improved in the summer from the player on loan at Ayr

Ted is literally the only defender holding our absolute gang of a defence together. As mentioned by Drew.

On 07/03/2018 at 8:50 AM, drew said:

The defence is more to do with the players around him.

Arnason hasn't been the signing we expected, O'Connor is awful, Considine has struggled in the big games as he hasn't had the protection Hayes would offer, Logan is deteriorating and we failed to replace Jack in midfield. If it wasn't for McKenna that stat would be worse and Hibs would be ahead of us. It makes you appreciate Ash Taylor

I don't know how but he has massively improved in the summer from the player on loan at Ayr

Been one of the few positives in a season of utter averageness for us. He offers plenty threat in the air and is a good physical threat. Coupled with a ball playing centre half and he could make it at international level. He's still got a lot to learn but he has a very good attitude and has had all through his academy days.

1 minute ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Ted is literally the only defender holding our absolute gang of a defence together. As mentioned by Drew.

Been one of the few positives in a season of utter averageness for us. He offers plenty threat in the air and is a good physical threat. Coupled with a ball playing centre half and he could make it at international level. He's still got a lot to learn but he has a very good attitude and has had all through his academy days.

Cloverleaf?

McKenna looks like he has the potential to develop into a very good centre half. Think it's a bit early for him to be getting a game for Scotland however. He might be better staying with U21s just now.

Edited by Jute

When Strachen came out with the Scottish Genetics comment i took it as he meant something different. I felt he was trying to imply that we haven't benefited from positive immigration which many countries have such as Belgium, France and England to name just a few. If you look through Belgiums first team squad i bet a load of them are first generation Belgium's.