McTominay starting again. - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

McTominay starting again.

Lairdyfaeinverclyde

I think central mid is one of our weakest positions now Brown has retired.  He made a big difference in the last campaign.  We lack someone with his aggresssion and will to win.  It’s a touch of arrogance that he shows no fear no matter who he plays against.  We need someone else like that now.

Great news about McTominay. The best part of it all is that it will be for all the right reasons & he’s knocked back a country who would have enhanced his career greater than ours for the fundamental reason (it would seem) that he feels more Scottish than English.

Takes the edge off Brown retiring also.

Excited by the squad announcement tomorrow & will hopefully see more names such as Souttar, McKenna & Bates and less of the likes of Whittaker, Anya & Bannan. 

11 hours ago, bigfingers said:

Playing in a poor man united side. A few nice touches. Don’t think we can just throw him into games just because he plays for man united. We have other options

Would be worth giving him a go in some friendly games though to see how he could fit in to the side and to see if he's ready for us.

24 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

He certainly looked Scottish in the way he played last night. He was absolutely dugshite

To be fair though, he's still young so he'll have the odd bad game here and there. The fact he's done alright being chucked straight in at the deep end is positive. He's seemingly earned a spot in the first XI of one of the best teams in England despite barely playing first team football for anyone prior to December. He's clearly got a bit of development to do though before being ready to really challenge for a starting spot for us though.

Appalled by Charlie Nicholas's comments on the lad. 

3 hours ago, buckielugger said:

Appalled by Charlie Nicholas's comments on the lad. 

Aye - suggesting that you can only play for Scotland if you were in Scotland is idiotic and doesn't take into account how complex nationality can be, especially if you've got a number of realistic options for playing international football and you feel equally English and Scottish (say). Shaun Maloney was born in Malaysia, but no-one would doubt that he's Scottish - although I recognise that there will be the odd player that only plays for a national team that isn't their first preference to try and increase their value.

The fact that McTominay been in youth training camps for Scotland suggests that he was always leaning towards Scotland anyway, in my mind. The only people who were really talking about him as a potential England player was the English media.

6 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

Aye - suggesting that you can only play for Scotland if you were in Scotland is idiotic and doesn't take into account how complex nationality can be, especially if you've got a number of realistic options for playing international football and you feel equally English and Scottish (say). Shaun Maloney was born in Malaysia, but no-one would doubt that he's Scottish - although I recognise that there will be the odd player that only plays for a national team that isn't their first preference to try and increase their value.

The fact that McTominay been in youth training camps for Scotland suggests that he was always leaning towards Scotland anyway, in my mind. The only people who were really talking about him as a potential England player was the English media.

Only way I can see to stop this is when you get your first player registration you declare your nationality.  You keep the existing rules in place but a player must at 16/17/18 when he signs, select his nationality from within the eligibility rules. This is then lodged with UEFA or FIFA.  You can then only represent that country at u18/u21/ full international - no changing.  It would stop any of this I will play for x if I’m not good enough for y.

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

Only way I can see to stop this is when you get your first player registration you declare your nationality.  You keep the existing rules in place but a player must at 16/17/18 when he signs, select his nationality from within the eligibility rules. This is then lodged with UEFA or FIFA.  You can then only represent that country at u18/u21/ full international - no changing.  It would stop any of this I will play for x if I’m not good enough for y.

Take it you don't have a 16 yes old son mine can't decide which is better the Xbox or the PlayStation 

3 minutes ago, Brummie Hibs said:

Been a long time since there has been two Scots playing against each other in top 3 EPL sides. 

Yeah. Excited to see that. Had a quick check that Hamilton wasn't on the bench as that would have topped it off. I hear good things about him so hopefully his time will come.