Sam Gallagher - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Sam Gallagher

Scout

13 hours ago, GHfaeGTA said:

He can’t get in Birmingham starting line up tonight. Can’t be much too shout home about

He's lost form playing for a terrible team, it happens.

No different to the likes of Rhodes or Fletcher struggling to get in the Sheff Weds team when fit.

On 06 March 2018 at 9:46 AM, aaid said:

Unfortunately his career looks like following a path of a succession of bad moves meaning he doesn't get enough game time and stagnates.

(If I'm understanding you correctly) I don't buy this theory aaid.

In my opinion he doesn't get games because he isn't good enough. There's no hidden agenda or mystical bad luck in choice of club etc. No manager is going to ignore him for selection if he cuts the mustard in training or in whatever games he does get a chance.

SO FAR, I've seen nothing in this boy to suggest there is a genuine talent there. SO FAR, the only attribute I have seen is pace and barring very few exceptions, I've only seen him use that pace to run down dark alleys where he eventually loses the ball.

However, as others have said, he is just a boy still. Maybe he will come good. But for the time being he should be nowhere near our squad, purely and simply because he's done nothing to deserve it.

1 minute ago, Marky said:

In my opinion he doesn't get games because he isn't good enough. There's no hidden agenda or mystical bad luck in choice of club etc. No manager is going to ignore him for selection if he cuts the mustard in training or in whatever games he does get a chance.

SO FAR, I've seen nothing in this boy to suggest there is a genuine talent there. SO FAR, the only attribute I have seen is pace and barring very few exceptions, I've only seen him use that pace to run down dark alleys where he eventually loses the ball.

However, as others have said, he is just a boy still. Maybe he will come good. But for the time being he should be nowhere near our squad, purely and simply because he's done nothing to deserve it.

For his goals for Forest immediately prior to signing for RBL he shows poise, skill, technique and great footwork, so there's definitely a lot more about him than just head down and run. He suffers a bit in the way James Forrest does/did in that he often fails to deliver a cross or shot on target at the end of his runs so I understand the blind alley thing. Really disappointed that his career seems to be going backwards. Perhaps (and maybe this is the point the OP was making) he needs to find 'the right club' where a manager will trust him for a run of games and accept the associated risk (that he will give the ball away and spurn chances etc) in return for the potential reward of said gametime allowing him to mature as a player.

18 minutes ago, Marky said:

I think we are on the same page as regards Burke - I think his place is in the U21s at the moment.   

I would say though that there is a raw talent there, his pace and physique alone are strong attributes in the modern game.

From what I can see, Leipzig thought that and that's why they paid a - relatively - large amount of money for him.    They knew that he wasn't the finished article.

They were happy to get their money back from WBA as either they realised that they weren't capable of realising that potential or that he wasn't prepared to do what was needed.  That's a bit of a worry for me although you don't know whether they were forcing him out the door or he was keen to get away, either way doesn't really look good.

Moving to WBA - in hindsight - was a big mistake.   One of the biggest problems a young, raw player can have is to be bought by one manager who presumably has an idea of how he will utilise him only for that manager to be replaced before he's had a chance to prove himself.    The only thing that possibly will work in his favour is that it West Brom look nailed on to be relagated and Pardew to be sacked.   A clean slate in the Championship might be good for his longer term development.

Edited by aaid

23 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Why has this turned into a debate about Burke. Thought it was Gallagher who was being discussed. 

Because someone mentioned Burke in a list of alternative options to Gallagher.  

Is that okay with you?

1 hour ago, Rude Gullit said:

For his goals for Forest immediately prior to signing for RBL he shows poise, skill, technique and great footwork, so there's definitely a lot more about him than just head down and run. He suffers a bit in the way James Forrest does/did in that he often fails to deliver a cross or shot on target at the end of his runs so I understand the blind alley thing. Really disappointed that his career seems to be going backwards. Perhaps (and maybe this is the point the OP was making) he needs to find 'the right club' where a manager will trust him for a run of games and accept the associated risk (that he will give the ball away and spurn chances etc) in return for the potential reward of said gametime allowing him to mature as a player.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

I think we are on the same page as regards Burke - I think his place is in the U21s at the moment.   

I would say though that there is a raw talent there, his pace and physique alone are strong attributes in the modern game.

From what I can see, Leipzig thought that and that's why they paid a - relatively - large amount of money for him.    They knew that he wasn't the finished article.

They were happy to get their money back from WBA as either they realised that they weren't capable of realising that potential or that he wasn't prepared to do what was needed.  That's a bit of a worry for me although you don't know whether they were forcing him out the door or he was keen to get away, either way doesn't really look good.

Moving to WBA - in hindsight - was a big mistake.   One of the biggest problems a young, raw player can have is to be bought by one manager who presumably has an idea of how he will utilise him only for that manager to be replaced before he's had a chance to prove himself.    The only thing that possibly will work in his favour is that it West Brom look nailed on to be relagated and Pardew to be sacked.   A clean slate in the Championship might be good for his longer term development.

Ordinarily I would respond to these two fine contributions to the debate, but I’m too feart in case McCaughey tells me aff. 

3 hours ago, aaid said:

Because someone mentioned Burke in a list of alternative options to Gallagher.  

Is that okay with you?

Apologies I wasn't meaning til be rude I just didn't see anyone mention Burke then suddenly someone starts talking about Burke's failures so far. Seemed a bit random to me.

3 hours ago, Marky said:

Ordinarily I would respond to these two fine contributions to the debate, but I’m too feart in case McCaughey tells me aff. 

Lol tbf I am best ignored mate, Burke's career is going nowhere fast imo but he's still young enough to pull it back, he certainly showed at forest that he does have skill and ability. He could do with a couple of years in the championship to get his career back on track.

6 hours ago, Marky said:

He was great at Forest.

In hindsight should've stayed there longer and developed like Sessegnon is doing at Fulham but guess the Leipzig move was too tempting and I don't blame him.

Warning signs were them pointing out to him he needed to be more tactically aware when in and out of possession. He didn't take that on board and they cut their losses after a year which they rarely do with their young players.

Seen bits and pieces of him at West Brom as he's been injured a lot and he does seem the head down and run as fast as you can type which is usually defended comfortably by players at the top level.

Guess we'll have to see if he can get it going again in the championship next season.

Folk seem to have fairly romantic notions about Burke’s time at Forest. 

He made a total of 25 appearances for them (many of which would’ve been sub appearances) and 21 of them were in the 2015-16 season during which he scored 2 goals.

i know it sounds mental but Burke got his move to Leipzig largely off the pre season and first 4 games of the following season. That’s why there were so many raised eyebrows when Leipzig paid so much for him i.e. because he was completely unproven. 

If he was ever “brilliant” for Forest then it was for a very short period of time. History is littered with players who made a blistering start to their careers (many sustained it far longer than Burke did), but ultimately turned out to be keech. 

11 minutes ago, Marky said:

Folk seem to have fairly romantic notions about Burke’s time at Forest. 

He made a total of 25 appearances for them (many of which would’ve been sub appearances) and 21 of them were in the 2015-16 season during which he scored 2 goals.

i know it sounds mental but Burke got his move to Leipzig largely off the pre season and first 4 games of the following season. That’s why there were so many raised eyebrows when Leipzig paid so much for him i.e. because he was completely unproven. 

If he was ever “brilliant” for Forest then it was for a very short period of time. History is littered with players who made a blistering start to their careers (many sustained it far longer than Burke did), but ultimately turned out to be keech. 

Unfortunately this is an accurate assessment of his career thus far. For RBL to dump him after a season, in which he was given very few opportunities speaks volumes in my opinion, further compounded by the same at West Brom, not to mention strachan hooking him at half time and subsequent omissions from the squad , for which he was wrongly lambasted. We’ll see what transpires, and he is still young, but it’s hope more than expectation from where I’m sitting.

1 hour ago, Tartan Chris said:

He was great at Forest.

In hindsight should've stayed there longer and developed like Sessegnon is doing at Fulham but guess the Leipzig move was too tempting and I don't blame him.

Warning signs were them pointing out to him he needed to be more tactically aware when in and out of possession. He didn't take that on board and they cut their losses after a year which they rarely do with their young players.

Seen bits and pieces of him at West Brom as he's been injured a lot and he does seem the head down and run as fast as you can type which is usually defended comfortably by players at the top level.

Guess we'll have to see if he can get it going again in the championship next season.

Must admit, all the Forest fans were puzzled, but delighted about the money they got for him. He was playing in a pretty poor side, and at that time was only standing out due to being able to run fast, sometimes with the ball. 

They were hoping, as we all are, that he would mature as a footballer.  In my opinion we are still waiting. 

Actually, the price tag Leipzig paid might eventually be too much of a weight on his shoulders. I hope he doesnt fall into football obscurity.  

29 minutes ago, Dairbee said:

Must admit, all the Forest fans were puzzled, but delighted about the money they got for him. He was playing in a pretty poor side, and at that time was only standing out due to being able to run fast, sometimes with the ball. 

They were hoping, as we all are, that he would mature as a footballer.  In my opinion we are still waiting. 

Actually, the price tag Leipzig paid might eventually be too much of a weight on his shoulders. I hope he doesnt fall into football obscurity.  

The Forest fans were raging as far as I could see. This is a young player, younger than McTominay, and it’s far too early to right him off. If he plays 40 games next season with a coach who knows how to deploy him, then I’ll wager he’ll turn out to be a very useful player. With his size and speed he will always get opportunities in football, he just needs to make the most of them.

6 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

The Forest fans were raging as far as I could see. This is a young player, younger than McTominay, and it’s far too early to right him off. If he plays 40 games next season with a coach who knows how to deploy him, then I’ll wager he’ll turn out to be a very useful player. With his size and speed he will always get opportunities in football, he just needs to make the most of them.

Hope so. Theres every chance he will get the opportunity in the championship next season as the fire sale at WBA starts. 

Its a league that should play to his strengths, so I guess it depends on who is in charge at the Hawthorns.