Sam Gallagher - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Sam Gallagher

Scout

Says in the papers Sam Gallagher is the next target for Alex McLeish decent player and better than what we have got also few others linked Interesting times 

Hope he picks a few new players from Championship and the SPL 

3 minutes ago, Scout said:

Says in the papers Sam Gallagher is the next target for Alex McLeish decent player and better than what we have got also few others linked Interesting times 

Wouldn't really say he's better than what we have. Griffith's is a better  striker and Oliver mcburnie has scored 4 in 4 starts and looks like he is a decent talent. Fair enough he's started to score a few at Birmingham but he isn't exactly banging them in every week. I suppose he's more of a target man and would be good squad player or maybe more in the future as he's only 22 but he rejected us in favour of England before and is only coming to us because he clearly ain't good enough for England.

5 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Wouldn't really say he's better than what we have. Griffith's is a better  striker and Oliver mcburnie has scored 4 in 4 starts and looks like he is a decent talent. Fair enough he's started to score a few at Birmingham but he isn't exactly banging them in every week. I suppose he's more of a target man and would be good squad player or maybe more in the future as he's only 22 but he rejected us in favour of England before and is only coming to us because he clearly ain't good enough for England.

We’ve hardly any strikers. This lad’s six foot four and lightning quick. I’m not too happy about his previous decision but if he’s committed we’ve surely room in the squad.

4 minutes ago, Scout said:

Guys got potential, Stats I use say he is great in the air but crap in every other department

Targett - MacDonald - Cairney Fulham 

Douglas Wolves 

Bryan Bristol City 

Lindsay - McBurnie /Barnsley 

plus the young Scottish SPL players Souttar - McGinn - McKenna - McGregor .

few left sided players but two games let's see what they have.

Time change / players that are hungry and want it 

44 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

We’ve hardly any strikers. This lad’s six foot four and lightning quick. I’m not too happy about his previous decision but if he’s committed we’ve surely room in the squad.

He hasn't been lightning quick anytime I have seen him. He is however a decent player with potential and given we don't have an abundance of strikers to choose from then he will probably be a decent squad addition. I just don't think it's a massive loss if he doesn't want to come back to us as Griffith's is better player and mcburnie is shaping up to be goalscorer at English championship level. But it's good to have options and he could go onto higher levels than Birmingham city in the future.

Martin did a decent job in the qualifiers imo but yes he's a squad striker at best. Likes of Fletcher and Naismith's time have passed really.

Griffiths is number one striker, doubt anyone would argue with that. Good all round game and the goals finally came in the second half of the world cup qualifiers.

McBurnie is doing very well at Barnsley so his call up is a no brainer.

Burke's had a tough time at West Brom. There's still talent there as he showed at Forest. I'd be up for giving him a run just off Griffiths.

Gallagher isn't too bad, plays in a poor team. Had a decent scoring run and also scored a few at Blackburn last season.

harvey barnes of Leicester City (midfielder) and Che Adams of Birmgham City (winger/forward) also on Ecks wish list according to press reports.

certainly going to be a interesting look to his squad on Wednesday, even if he only gets one or two of these targets.

15 minutes ago, wanderer said:

harvey barnes of Leicester City (midfielder) and Che Adams of Birmgham City (winger/forward) also on Ecks wish list according to press reports.

certainly going to be a interesting look to his squad on Wednesday, even if he only gets one or two of these targets.

Adams, Barnes, Gallagher. Not an ounce of Scottishness between them. Inspiring stuff. Can’t ever remember not watching a Scotland game but the next one is a contender if this is what the squads gonna be like.

31 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Is there an under 21 squad getting announced on Wednesday, or maybe he is just looking for kids that fancy going to the Americas for a few days

2 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Is there an under 21 squad getting announced on Wednesday, or maybe he is just looking for kids that fancy going to the Americas for a few days

Qualifier away to Andorra, so maybe call up a couple of U21 players, but not taking to much away from that squad for their qualifier.

15 hours ago, Scout said:

Gallagher would be a good long term option if he can get him locked down, especially considering that we don't appear to have many strikers coming through.

He switched from Scotland to England at U19 level - so it would be interesting to see if McLeish manages to get him back in the Scotland set up.

55 minutes ago, Alan said:

Burke is not starting for a struggling West Brom team. Often not making the bench.  To say he should be in the squad let alone the team is ridiculous.

Unfortunately his career looks like following a path of a succession of bad moves meaning he doesn't get enough game time and stagnates.

1 hour ago, Clyde1998 said:

Gallagher would be a good long term option if he can get him locked down, especially considering that we don't appear to have many strikers coming through.

He switched from Scotland to England at U19 level - so it would be interesting to see if McLeish manages to get him back in the Scotland set up.

Its a somewhat refreshing approach that Eck is looking at getting young players, rather than guys the wrong side of 25 to switch (IIRC last time he was manager he did pretty much the same.... uncovered a young James Morrison when he was still at Middlesbrough, set his sights on trying to get Agbonlahor when he was 19, and could be wrong, but think he uncovered James Macke also.... certainly these players where not that much older than 21-ish when he uncovered them).

Gallagher is close to 23 now, and will most certainly not make it with England now, and doubtful he will break into the Southampton first team, but could prove to be a good Championship level striker, and with a few years of that under his belt could go to the next level.....Harvey Barnes I know nothing about, but from research looks like he is someone Malky MacKay has had his eye on for a while.... Che Adams is a name I have seen, but know very little about (given Ecks Birmingham links, suppose its easy enough for him to have a word with him and Gallagher).

2 hours ago, Alan said:

Burke is not starting for a struggling West Brom team. Often not making the bench.  To say he should be in the squad let alone the team is ridiculous.

It was more long term view.

He is struggling at the moment. I think we have to be honest given his form for Forest that his level is the championship currently so a loan move there next season is probably the best move for his career at this point in time.

1 hour ago, Tartan Chris said:

It was more long term view.

He is struggling at the moment. I think we have to be honest given his form for Forest that his level is the championship currently so a loan move there next season is probably the best move for his career at this point in time.

West Brom will be in the Championship next season. 

18 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

He hasn't been lightning quick anytime I have seen him. He is however a decent player with potential and given we don't have an abundance of strikers to choose from then he will probably be a decent squad addition. I just don't think it's a massive loss if he doesn't want to come back to us as Griffith's is better player and mcburnie is shaping up to be goalscorer at English championship level. But it's good to have options and he could go onto higher levels than Birmingham city in the future.

griffiths is undoubtedly our best striker, but is not always fit. We can't overlook players if they will be able to add to the squad / first team.

hopefully other eligible players can consistently play well over periods of months, and then seasons (as griffiths has), and not just weeks.

2 hours ago, wanderer said:

James Macke also.... certainly these players where not that much older than 21-ish when he uncovered them).

Was 25, and first capped by Levein, and also utterly fucking shite.

2 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Was 25, and first capped by Levein, and also utterly fucking shite.

That's when he was capped, but he had been known to the Sfa for a good 2/3 years beforehand (a list of eligiable players Eck had scouted was released in press just before Eck left us)

I'd take Gallagher, definitely.  Pace, power, height and scores goals, albeit in the English Championship - but there's only one way to see if he can score at international level too. 

Fletcher, Martin and Naismith have done their bit in the past but they've probably all had their day. Time for some fresh blood. 

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

That's when he was capped, but he had been known to the Sfa for a good 2/3 years beforehand (a list of eligiable players Eck had scouted was released in press just before Eck left us)

I think it was Eck who first identified Kris Commons, although it was George Burley who would give him his first cap.