Best Scottish International player you've seen live? - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Best Scottish International player you've seen live?

Lairdyfaeinverclyde

4 minutes ago, irnbruman said:

Correct - I did say approx. 1969 - was 2 years later September 1971

Aye, I thought you were a wee bit early with 1969. But you did say approx so I'll let you off.:lol: 

My initial thought was that I would be surprised that Dalglish and Henderson had played in the same Old Firm game but, having checked, they might just have overlapped. It's possible that you might just have witnessed them the only time that they were on the same pitch together? At first team level anyway. 

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

My initial thought was that I would be surprised that Dalglish and Henderson had played in the same Old Firm game but, having checked, they might just have overlapped. It's possible that you might just have witnessed them the only time that they were on the same pitch together? At first team level anyway. 

This was it...

http://www.thecelticwiki.com/m/page/1971-09-11%3A+Rangers+2-3+Celtic%2C+League+Division+1

Edited by Toepoke

3 hours ago, irnbruman said:

Unfortunately not in  a Scotland shirt - but I went to a Rangers Celtic game approx. 1969 and the front three for both teams just brilliant. Willie Henderson, Willie Johnston and Colin Stein against Jimmy Johnstone, Kenny Dalglish and Booby Lennox

Showing off how auld I am, I think the Rangers three did play in the first Scotland game my dad took me to, and that was '69.

It's all a bit vague as I was wee, but pretty sure we did a couple of N.I games and didn't win either, which places them at '69 & '71 and think I remember Stein scoring.   Game was on the telly, so mibbee my memories are jumbled again.   Can't say I remember anyone for us being great, just remember the frustration, so not much has changed despite the loss of world class players :lol:

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Cheers. :ok: 

I love stuff like this.

Most of that Celtic reserve team would get a game for Scotland these days.:lol:

Back in the early 70's Jock Stein was asked to provide a team to play against Scotland in a warm-up match just before an international. He sent his reserve side - the so-called Quality Street Gang" - and they wasted Scotland 5-2!

Back on topic - Gordon Strachan. He was phenomenal for us.

3 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Showing off how auld I am, I think the Rangers three did play in the first Scotland game my dad took me to, and that was '69.

It's all a bit vague as I was wee, but pretty sure we did a couple of N.I games and didn't win either, which places them at '69 & '71 and think I remember Stein scoring.   Game was on the telly, so mibbee my memories are jumbled again.   Can't say I remember anyone for us being great, just remember the frustration, so not much has changed despite the loss of world class players :lol:

May 69. You might be able to pick yourself out of this photo, only 7400 fans there - lowest ever for a Scotland game.

My pregnant mum went for her one and only trip to Hampden coz George Best was playing, so I was there too after a fashion :D

fa529184bdb221dc994c0b9baa7cc3d2.jpg

Andy Goram, Ally McCoist or Mo Johnston for me. 

Thought McFadden had a number of great moments in the shirt but on the whole, he didn't reach the heights we all hoped he would. Collins and Lambert were good players I also saw playing for Scotland. 

9 hours ago, Toepoke said:

May 69. You might be able to pick yourself out of this photo, only 7400 fans there - lowest ever for a Scotland game.

My pregnant mum went for her one and only trip to Hampden coz George Best was playing, so I was there too after a fashion :D

fa529184bdb221dc994c0b9baa7cc3d2.jpg

Great photo of the old north terracing. I was only in that wee stand type thing once. I am guessing that would have been late 70s. I'll now need to go and check when it was pulled down.

11 hours ago, daviebee said:

Back in the early 70's Jock Stein was asked to provide a team to play against Scotland in a warm-up match just before an international. He sent his reserve side - the so-called Quality Street Gang" - and they wasted Scotland 5-2!

Back on topic - Gordon Strachan. He was phenomenal for us.

I liked Strachan as well, but he seemed, to me anyway, to one of those unusual players who tended to play better away from home. At Hampden he often seemed to struggle to get involved in games. Great player though.

On 02/03/2018 at 5:36 PM, vanderark14 said:

I stared going in the early 90s too, Faddy provided excitment but I’m not sure I’d class him as the best I’ve seen. This might be controversial but in terms of talent I think Barry Ferguson is up their. Excellent player on his day.

john Collins is another one.

On 02/03/2018 at 6:21 PM, PASTA Mick said:

I don't think there is too much between Ferguson, Collins, Lambert and Fletcher. 

Would agree with most of these 2 posts with the exception of Fletcher. Unbelievably overrated in a Scotland shirt imo.

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Great photo of the old north terracing. I was only in that wee stand type thing once. I am guessing that would have been late 70s. I'll now need to go and check when it was pulled down.

I remember people used to form an outward facing circle when someone decided they needed an on the spot pish. I suppose taking a dozen cans into the ground could do that. 

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Circa 1980 I think.  It was gone by the first time I visited the North Enclosure, although you could still see the remains of the brickwork at the back of the terracing.

1 hour ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Surprised nobody has mentioned Joe Jordan???????

He deserves a mention for scoring in 3 consecutive World Cups, if nothing else. Not many players do that. Folk who were around at the time, to see him playing, will have also seen a lot of other really top class players playing alongside him, though. So, he is probably not going to come out top on many people's "best player" list.

2 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

He deserves a mention for scoring in 3 consecutive World Cups, if nothing else. Not many players do that. Folk who were around at the time, to see him playing, will have also seen a lot of other really top class players playing alongside him, though. So, he is probably not going to come out top on many people's "best player" list.

Yeh, fair comment.

On 3/5/2018 at 9:20 AM, Orraloon said:

I was in once at the Rangers Hearts Cup Final in 1976, great view of the park but I remember there was a sea of pish at the bottom of the stairs that we nearly had to wade through.

2 hours ago, Larky Masher said:

I was in once at the Rangers Hearts Cup Final in 1976, great view of the park but I remember there was a sea of pish at the bottom of the stairs that we nearly had to wade through.

I sometimes think the "sea of pish" thing gets a wee bit exaggerated. It was really only a problem on rainy days (which is most of the time in Glasgow, right enough). The drainage system just couldn't cope with all that rain water. So, the pish was well diluted by the time it seeped through to your socks and up to your knees. On the very odd dry day, the pish would just seep into the terracing and not cause too much bother.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

I sometimes think the "sea of pish" thing gets a wee bit exaggerated. It was really only a problem on rainy days (which is most of the time in Glasgow, right enough). The drainage system just couldn't cope with all that rain water. So, the pish was well diluted by the time it seeped through to your socks and up to your knees. On the very odd dry day, the pish would just seep into the terracing and not cause too much bother.

That was a very rainy day.

Sorry, but mistaken B)

100,000 with poor drainage...  what % had a drink or two before the game?   I remember the bogs in the North Stand as a lad (13 goin' on 11 by today's).   I didn't have to stretch up to a urinal (what the feck was that?) or even a stainless steel trough.   Was a brick wall with a 1/2 inch deep trench/spittoon at its bottom.   The pish ran over the top of my shiny Clarks shoes and on down the stairs.   Them wiz the days :lol:

Dalgleish and Faddy stand out for me, Faddy was excellent in a not so good team, but Kenny Dalgleish was pure class on his day. Others not really getting mentioned are Joe Jordan who gave everything, and Sandy Jardine. (what a shame he was around same time as McGrain as often had to play Left Back.)

Paul Mcstay is another one who played some good games for us.