Best Scottish International player you've seen live? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Best Scottish International player you've seen live?

Lairdyfaeinverclyde

11 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Third time lucky?

FYI he's my pick too.

You missed one.;)

13 hours ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

The game i watched on the OP also had, Andy Gray, Steve Archibald, John Wark, Kenny Burns, Asa Hartford, Graham Souness, Kenny Dalgleish, Miller and Mcleish and the legend that was Gordon Strachan  not a bad team..........oh how things have changed.

10 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Had to google it but I have seen Danny McGrain play, or at least been in the same stadium as him at the same time, Funny I thought it was at Hampden and we won 1-0 with a Robertson penalty but the history books suggest otherwise.

I've played in the same team as Danny McGrain. Which allows me to shamelessly share my first goal at Hampden.

[Note: you just see Danny McGrains hand right at the very end of the clip].

I think it's important to mention just how hungover I was that day. It was after we'd beat Moldova (Dailly, McFadden) and I'd been on it a lot longer than I'd planned. Wins were to be celebrated back then. 

13 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

and Fanny scoring 2006-2010.. loved them all.

I thought you were happily married by then?

Eh..:lol::lol: Gremlins at work..      

FADDY.. James MacFadden......  the one and only...

The entire team from my first Scotland game:
Simpson, Gemmell, Greig, McKinnon, McCreadie, Bremner, Cooke, Johnstone, Hughes, Law (Glizean), Lennox
In addition Rough, McGrain, McNeill, Hansen, Tierney, Murdoch, Fletcher, Hutchison, J. Robertson, Dalglish, McFadden
Edited by Barney Rubble

2 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:
Simpson, Gemmell, Greig, McKinnon, McCreadie, Bremner, Cooke, Johnstone, Hughes, Law (Glizean), Lennox
In addition Rough, McGrain, McNeill, Hansen, Tierney, Murdoch, Fletcher, Hutchison, J. Robertson, Dalglish, McFadden

Rough? Not the goalie surely,

One of my first ever football matches

Peter Lorimer Testimonial, Dens Park, Dundee 1977

http://www.lufctalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2917

A few decent players on show

Scotland Select XI: Stewart (Leeds United), Forsyth (Manchester United), Blackley (Newcastle United), Lorimer (Leeds United), McQueen (Leeds United), Buchan (Manchester United), Gray (Leeds United), Craig (Newcastle United), Jordan (Leeds United), Dalglish (Liverpool), Graham (Leeds United).

Leeds United team was: Harvey, Stevenson, Cooper, Bremner, Greenhoff, Madeley, Harris, Flynn, Hankin, Currie, Giles (WBA).

It was on 9 November 1977 and Leeds Utd won 5-2.

9 hours ago, romanticscot said:

James McFadden had his moments but moments was what they were, but when they happened they were magical, however to call him the best player I have seen would not be fair.  I am going to say Paul Lambert was the best, clean and disciplined. 

My favorite player for a spell was Don Hutchison growing up, but he wasna great but his goal against England in that 2nd leg - I was a total believer we were going to beat them and go to the EURO's. I think in terms of goals,  it a was more special than Faddy's v France - this was in the playoffs, but sadly it wasn't enough.  This game along with Brazil at France 98 are my two tied favorite games.    

Good players and good memories are two different things.

I really liked Hutchison and that goal was wonderful, he always gave 100% and had a bit of dig about him.

5 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

You must be older than me. :yikes3:Whit century were you born in? You must have been born before the first Hillman Imp was even thought of.:lol:

8 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Yes- the Scruffier had many good games for Scotland, and his second last one at Cardiff was his best.

One of his best, and most important saves was at Anfield. A lot of folk forget about that one. My dad telt me about it.

2 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

You must be older than me. :yikes3:Whit century were you born in? You must have been born before the first Hillman Imp was even thought of.:lol:

Yes - born in 1691, so as usual late to the party.

To conform to the OP's question, my dementia is such that I couldn't work the edit function to say that out of the worthy lot that I quoted, Kenny Dalglish is your man.

3 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Man, fair play to you. Can you mind how you felt on the 1st of May 1707?

Bloody awful, cos I was grounded by my parents for having thrown stones at the imperialist oppressors the night before.

Sadly, it was the catalyst for me becoming the reprobate that I am today.

4 hours ago, Larky Masher said:

I really liked Hutchison and that goal was wonderful, he always gave 100% and had a bit of dig about him.

Apart from that time he pulled out the squad for Czech Rep away as he was getting married 😏

(Unnecessary dig that. You’re right, he WAS a very good player for us 👍🏼)

4 hours ago, Larky Masher said:

Hutchison didn't get his first cap until he was about 28 or something?

Always thought he was unfairly overlooked before then by Brown.

He certainly made a major impression when he was eventually given the opportunity.

53 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Bloody awful, cos I was grounded by my parents for having thrown stones at the imperialist oppressors the night before.

Sadly, it was the catalyst for me becoming the reprobate that I am today.

Am I right in thinking that you live out Transylvania way?:unsure:

2 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Am I right in thinking that you live out Transylvania way?:unsure:

Somewhere in the Balkans.

Last weekend it was Tirana. If this f**ing rain and fog clears I'll find out if I'm in Podgorica or Belgrade this weekend.

Probably Dalglish and that goal WCQ v Spain 1984. He scored but Cooper was great and I recall Sounness having very good game too that night. 

However, as a slightly controversial choice of best performance by player in Scottish jersey - Paul McStay at Wembley v England as a schoolboy - he must have only been about 15 or 16 and he ran the show. Absolutely brilliant performance, McStay scored twice. 1980 I think, schoolboy international. We won 5-4 and Wembley resounded to the sound of high-pitched voices! Not mine, I have to add as I was 21 years old then. Went doon with ma Dad. Wonderful performance, especially McStay.

Started going to games in 99, so just as we stopped qualifying :huh:.

Best would have to be between Ferguson and Lambert, two really impressive midfielders who probably under achieved at both club and international level. However, Id pick McFadden, genuinely got excited whenever he got the ball, injuries cruelly cost him, and us, from many more magic moments.

Unfortunately not in  a Scotland shirt - but I went to a Rangers Celtic game approx. 1969 and the front three for both teams just brilliant. Willie Henderson, Willie Johnston and Colin Stein against Jimmy Johnstone, Kenny Dalglish and Booby Lennox

3 minutes ago, irnbruman said:

Unfortunately not in  a Scotland shirt - but I went to a Rangers Celtic game approx. 1969 and the front three for both teams just brilliant. Willie Henderson, Willie Johnston and Colin Stein against Jimmy Johnstone, Kenny Dalglish and Booby Lennox

Kenny Dalglish played his first Old Firm Game in 1971.