Best Scottish International player you've seen live? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Best Scottish International player you've seen live?

Lairdyfaeinverclyde

I was messing about on you tube watching vintage Scotland games. Think my first 1 was 1981 v Northern Ireland. Got me thinking who was the best Scotland player I've seen live. Thought this would start a good debate. The best I've seen live was a defender............Danny McGrain, was at the end of his career but a great player. Who do you think???????/

10 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Much tougher for those that only started going in the mid-90's. I'd have to say James McFadden. Whilst other player have had better club careers, nobody has had the impact on the team the way Faddy did.  

I stared going in the early 90s too, Faddy provided excitment but I’m not sure I’d class him as the best I’ve seen. This might be controversial but in terms of talent I think Barry Ferguson is up their. Excellent player on his day.

john Collins is another one.

Edited by vanderark14

3 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

If this included seeing them for their club I’d say Willie Miller. Arguably Scotland’s best ever CB but I never saw him play for Scotland 

I’m going to guess you’re my age group because I’m the same. 

Richard Gough’s another one I saw a lot of.

43 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I stared going in the early 90s too, Faddy provided excitment but I’m not sure I’d class him as the best I’ve seen. This might be controversial but in terms of talent I think Barry Ferguson is up their. Excellent player on his day.

I don't think there is too much between Ferguson, Collins, Lambert and Fletcher. 

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

Much tougher for those that only started going in the mid-90's. I'd have to say James McFadden. Whilst other player have had better club careers, nobody has had the impact on the team the way Faddy did.  

I would agree. In terms of impact and raising self belief he's ahead by a country mile. Always felt with Faddy on the pitch anything was possible. 

1 minute ago, Ormond said:

Collins, Lambert, Ferguson then Fletcher in that order for me.

Threads like these make me feel slightly smug that I have been fortunate enough to witness far better Scotland teams than you youngsters. On the other hand I feel a bit less smug that most of you probably have about 30 years longer to live than I do.:lol:

I would go for Dalglish as best forward. I saw Law once but he was past his best by then. McQueen as best defender by a mile, followed by Jardine and McGrain. Midfield is a bit more difficult to decide but I would probably go for Bremner.

Due to my age it's the toss of a coin between John Collins and Paul Lambert.

James McFadden had more than his fair share of moments but the above two were quite away off it, but, they were the closest we've had to a world class player in my lifetime 

5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Agree, Ferguson as a young lad in Robbie Winters debut at Pittodrie was a display and a half, and his performance at Wembley in the 1 0 win was brilliant. 

I thought we had found a talisman, but it didn't turn out that way.  

Coming from the early 2000s - probably Darren Fletcher is the best I've seen live. I don't think I've seen him have a bad game when I've seen him play, and he's usually one of the best players in his team. I've only seen him play against Reading - so that's maybe why I've never seen him have a bad game. :P

James McFadden had his moments but moments was what they were, but when they happened they were magical, however to call him the best player I have seen would not be fair.  I am going to say Paul Lambert was the best, clean and disciplined. 

My favorite player for a spell was Don Hutchison growing up, but he wasna great but his goal against England in that 2nd leg - I was a total believer we were going to beat them and go to the EURO's. I think in terms of goals,  it a was more special than Faddy's v France - this was in the playoffs, but sadly it wasn't enough.  This game along with Brazil at France 98 are my two tied favorite games.    

Good players and good memories are two different things.