Best car for snow - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Best car for snow

Have to say my old Ford Focus drove better in the snow than my current 2 wheel drive Qashqai though it's much better now I use winter tyres.

I had a couple of Suzuki GVs - where I live is very hilly & prone to heavy snow now & again. The first one, a diesel estate with manual 4wd was nigh on invincible. I got it over all sorts of snowed up roads & never had trouble getting off my frequently blocked street (a cul-de-sac on a steep gradient & dog-leg bend halfway up).

The second was petrol with electronic 4wd; it wasn't bad & generally dealt with snow OK but nothing like the first one. I preferred being able to choose when to put it into 4wd rather than waiting until my wheels were spinning & getting a load of flashing lights.

something with narrow winter tyres is a good start. This is at odds with the majority of cars on the road currently running about on 225 section summer tyres.

Then add all wheel drive for more traction and then a typical 4x4 setup for improved ground clearance for deep snow.

29 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Hillman Imps used to be pretty good in the snow. It was so light that it just bounced over the top of the snow drifts. They were rear wheel drive but also had the engine in the back.

^^^^^^

Born in the 19th century, or worked at Rootes when the trams were still running in Argyle Street.

Edited by Barney Rubble

I've had 4wd Audis for many years now and they are excellent.  The latest ones have on demand 4wd rather than permanent - better fuel  economy but I think maybe not quite as good at keeping stability and traction until the rear wheels join in the action.  If you give them too much welly, they will move a bit sideways but always keep going.  RWD BMWs are about the worst. FWD is better than RWD but not a patch on 4WD.

My first Audi was a 100 Avant Quattro, 1987 model, which has manual diff locks.  unstoppable but you had to unlock the diffs on tarmac of the whole transmission locked up when you went round a corner.  Best ever car I've had for ultimate get you through snow traction.

2 hours ago, Mindimoo said:

Ive got a rather plain Mokka that has a wee button that you can switch on and off to stop skidding.  No problems here except people who don't know how to drive.

I thought you couldn't get out your drive ?

34 minutes ago, Big Col said:

I thought you couldn't get out your drive ?

10 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

Yeah, that's because of the idiots that can't drive, or the idiots that can't shovel or... something else that's down to them. Have you seen my rallying video, I could do that easy.

What he said.  We spent hours digging out only to be blocked by some dick in a mini who semi blocked our drive.

3 hours ago, Eisegerwind said:

Yeah, go for it, as long as your route is snow covered  lightly trafficed roads and country trails, and not the Afuckin71 in rush hour.

Union canal towpath, usually inhabited by all sorts of bampots and nice people in equal measure