Scottish cup weekend - Page 16 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish cup weekend

Just now, Redz said:

Easy for our central belt support.

It's a 2.5 hour drive from Aberdeen, or a Scottish Cup semi-final. 

If someone isn't going because it's a lunchtime kick off, then that's pretty pathetic IMO. 

18 minutes ago, Parklife said:

It's a 2.5 hour drive from Aberdeen, or a Scottish Cup semi-final. 

If someone isn't going because it's a lunchtime kick off, then that's pretty pathetic IMO. 

In isolation, your opinion carries merit.

Live on tv, the location, atmosphere, cost, last week, post split fixture farce, and the shire representing a significant chunk of our support (Add on another 1.5 hours travel) are all factors IMO.

It scunners me and I have 2 tickets....

45 minutes ago, Redz said:

In isolation, your opinion carries merit.

Live on tv, the location, atmosphere, cost, last week, post split fixture farce, and the shire representing a significant chunk of our support (Add on another 1.5 hours travel) are all factors IMO.

It scunners me and I have 2 tickets....

It's a Scottish Cup semi-final FFS. I know we've been to a fair few in recent years but they're hardly the norm. Hardly much point following a team if you don't get excited about days like tomorrow! 

For games like these where there are going to be big sections of empty seats they should open a neutral section. I don't think you'd shift thousands of tickets but would probably sell a few. I'd probably have popped a long tomorrow as the better half is away and I will just end up watching it on the tv anyway. Give tickets out to schools to try and encourage younger generations to get involved in going to football rather than just watching it on tv.

5 hours ago, AberdeenAngus said:

They were rarely at Hampden in the past. 

I seen a number of semi finals at Parkhead, Ibrox, Tynecastle and Dens. 

It used to be or at lest seemed to be played at the most sensible ground for the 2 sides involved. Think the argument used now is that all 4 clubs get a chance of Hampden before the final. 

Plus Hampden was an absolute moger and any opportunity to avoid using it was taken.

5 hours ago, Parklife said:

It's a Scottish Cup semi-final FFS. I know we've been to a fair few in recent years but they're hardly the norm. Hardly much point following a team if you don't get excited about days like tomorrow! 

Aye fair enough. 

That said, everyone, including those that will not be in attendance tomorrow, are entitled to their opinion too.

9 hours ago, Parklife said:

On the pitch i predict a tight, nervy affair. With McLean and Shinnie out McInnes will look to be tight and compact, ensuring we don't give anything away. 

Our back four will likely be very slow and consist of 4 natural centre backs (Considine, McKenna, Arnason, Ball), while we'll have another centre-back (O'Connor) in midfield. I would also expect Nwakali to start, giving us yet more defensive cover. 

I think it'll be a front 4 of GMS, Christie, McGinn (despite his shocker last week) & May. 

I think we'll need a big day from Christie and/or GMS. Either of whom are capable of turning the game on their own, if they're on top form. 

A tight nervy game would suit Aberdeen. As has been shown in the 4 games this season.

Motherwell need to come flying out the traps and take their chance if it comes. Hopefully see a performance like the recent game with Rangers where we pressed and outfought them all over the park.

1st goal has won all 4 games this season and expect the same tomorrow.

Hope you enjoy your day, but not too much.

:lol:

Agree about it being a big occasion, and really looking forward to it too. Think I’d be more excited if the other semi wasn’t between teams that both Motherwell and Aberdeen have a long history of shitting the bed against... but you’ve got to beat them sometime and both have run them close recently.

4 hours ago, Mox said:

Aberdeen will win comfortably tomorrow, 3-0 I reckon.

I don’t know what you’ve seen this season or any other for that matter that gives you this confidence that aberdeen will scud Motherwell. With the exception of the 7-2 freak game that ended McGhee, there’s little between the sides. Aberdeen’s consistency is why they are higher up the table.

(absolutely aware I’ve set myself up for a “told you so” from mox tomorrow.)

7 hours ago, Redz said:

Yep.

Folk are fed up.

Easy for our central belt support.

25% of Sunday's gate though.....

First Aberdeen semi final ive missed in 30 years. 

Stupid ko time means Friday night in Glasgow and a risk of missing extra time before the last train to England on the Saturday. 

28 minutes ago, macy37 said:

I take it plenty cunts in Aberdeen can’t  get out their beds before 8am?

Using the kick off time as an excuse is utterly pathetic.

Correct. 

43 minutes ago, macy37 said:

I think the KO time thing is overplayed a bit at times.

For example; you could look at it that you could be back in Aberdeen for dinner time and it won’t upset any plans you have this evening.

I do quite like the 3pm Saturday KO because I’m a bit sentimental/traditional, but often TV KO times actually suit me better.

21 minutes ago, Redz said:

Yep, agreed.

Don't underestimate the other factors though.

You can’t beat going to a game, but live on council TV is definitely a factor.

Although as Parklife has said, it’s a Scottish cup semi, are days like this not why we follow our teams? 

Yep, agree again

All I'm saying is that there's another half a dozen or so factors that prevent such a simplistic view being the norm anymore - It's just my opinion of course.

Anyway, there's a game to prepare for, so I'm out...........Hope you have a s h i t afternoon pal ! :P

Left Aberdeen and some dickhead announced he had left the tickets in his other jacket and didn’t have keys. 

Had to go meet his missus and now smashing the  speed limit to make it in time. 

Scottish Cup Saturday, canna beat it :lol:

12 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

I don’t know what you’ve seen this season or any other for that matter that gives you this confidence that aberdeen will scud Motherwell. With the exception of the 7-2 freak game that ended McGhee, there’s little between the sides. Aberdeen’s consistency is why they are higher up the table.

(absolutely aware I’ve set myself up for a “told you so” from mox tomorrow.)

Aberdeen have an incredible ability to beat inferior teams just when things seem to be going wrong and fans start to question McInnes methods. You also can't underestimate how the final ended last year  and the impact that  had, they will desperate for another shot.

Edited by Mox

2 hours ago, macy37 said:

Spot on.

Imagine the bed wetting if they lived in Germany or even England and had couple of the distance to travel to games?!!

I couldn't imagine ever having a semi final and choosing not to go as it was an early kick off and on TV!

46 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Spot on.

Imagine the bed wetting if they lived in Germany or even England and had couple of the distance to travel to games?!!

I couldn't imagine ever having a semi final and choosing not to go as it was an early kick off and on TV!

Aye, I can’t understand the “it’s too early” argument. It’s glasgow ffs, not another planet.