Scottish cup weekend - Page 14 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish cup weekend

5 minutes ago, slasher said:

Looking like another Celtic v Aberdeen cup final is on the cards. If it's as good as the last one it'll be a cracker.

I couldn't take that all over again! 

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

It wasn't a classic but still, the BBC highlights are a joke for such a high profile cup tie. :mad:

Agreed.  BBC highlights managed to show the goals followed by the pens!  Have to say, that it looked like a foul on Logan all day long on the lead up to Killie goal.  However, the pen looked soft and an attempt to even up his mistake?  I think McLean might be the worse ref out there and that's saying something with the likes of Thomson and Dallas on the go.  Not a dirty game yet bookings galore.

18 minutes ago, slasher said:

Looking like another Celtic v Aberdeen cup final is on the cards. If it's as good as the last one it'll be a cracker.

I think Aberdeen will have too much for Motherwell in the wide open spaces of Hampden. 

I don’t think Motherwell have anything to fear from Aberdeen. We’ve beaten them comprehensively home and away already this season, although we deservedly lost a scrappy 1-0 at fir park.

Aberdeen have a few players suspended.

2 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I don’t think Motherwell have anything to fear from Aberdeen. We’ve beaten them comprehensively home and away already this season, although we deservedly lost a scrappy 1-0 at fir park.

Aberdeen have a few players suspended.

Agreed - Home advantage will help too ;) 

You'll be able to crawl oot yer bed at 11am and make ko......

9 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

Agreed.  BBC highlights managed to show the goals followed by the pens!  Have to say, that it looked like a foul on Logan all day long on the lead up to Killie goal.  However, the pen looked soft and an attempt to even up his mistake?  I think McLean might be the worse ref out there and that's saying something with the likes of Thomson and Dallas on the go.  Not a dirty game yet bookings galore.

Terrible referring all round! Ruined the game, particularly in the first half with constant stoppages for fair challenges. 

Logan completely misjudges it and jumps for a ball that is bouncing and at knee height by the time he reaches the top of his jump. Brophy stays strong, holds his ground and protects the ball which he's entitled to do. If Logan stays on his feet and watches the ball he stops Brophy. Just bad defending.

Soft penalty but in line with the types of fouls that McLean was giving. So Broadfoot should have known better that to put his hands on May and give him the chance to go down.

Dodnt even see a replay of the 2nd killie goal ruled offside! Pictures doing the rounds puts Brophy about half a pitch onside. But that's football. 

Solid penalties rom Aberdeen.

16 minutes ago, Redz said:

Agreed - Home advantage will help too ;) 

You'll be able to crawl oot yer bed at 11am and make ko......

:lol:

11:30 and i’d still make it. Although I have 2 young kids so that’s a luxury I’ll not have.

Doubt we’ll have the numerical advantage. I’d guess could be as few as 5000 ‘well fans, hopefully more like 8 or 9 thousand, but the fair weather fans have had 2 good days out already this year.

I’ll be there though.

What will Aberdeen bring? Given KO time, on council tv and aberdeen been in a few semis recently I’d understand some fans saving their money for the final...

5 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

:lol:

11:30 and i’d still make it. Although I have 2 young kids so that’s a luxury I’ll not have.

Doubt we’ll have the numerical advantage. I’d guess could be as few as 5000 ‘well fans, hopefully more like 8 or 9 thousand, but the fair weather fans have had 2 good days out already this year.

I’ll be there though.

What will Aberdeen bring? Given KO time, on council tv and aberdeen been in a few semis recently I’d understand some fans saving their money for the final...

This gae should be at tynecastle or easter road. Neither side will take a big crowd to it but could fill one of the edinburgh grounds

59 minutes ago, slasher said:

I think Aberdeen will have too much for Motherwell in the wide open spaces of Hampden

I think Hampden, Parkhead and Ibrox have almost identical pitch sizes these days. I don't think the Hampden pitch is as big as it used to be.

9 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

This gae should be at tynecastle or easter road. Neither side will take a big crowd to it but could fill one of the edinburgh grounds

Probably.

Its a tricky one, as you don’t want to end up locking fans out, but at the same time if we end up with 15,000 at Hampden it will be a crap atmosphere.

Theres just nothing inbetween in terms of size for games that could attract more than 20,000 (although I think it’s safe to say this won’t).

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

I couldn't take that all over again! 

Haha. I could... although maybe minus the torrential downpours.

22 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I think Hampden, Parkhead and Ibrox have almost identical pitch sizes these days. I don't think the Hampden pitch is as big as it used to be.

I meant as opposed to playing them at a tighter venue like Fir Park.

1 hour ago, slasher said:

I think Aberdeen will have too much for Motherwell in the wide open spaces of Hampden. 

Doubt it. McLean, Shinnie and Logan suspended. Logan is only a miss due to a lack of right backs rather than him being any good lately

1 minute ago, drew said:

Doubt it. McLean, Shinnie and Logan suspended. Logan is only a miss due to a lack of right backs rather than him being any good lately

Shinnie is always a big loss but if the absence of those three forces McInnes to be more expansive I still think they'll beat Motherwell. 👍

We'll see

8 hours ago, slasher said:

Haha. I could... although maybe minus the torrential downpours.

I meant as opposed to playing them at a tighter venue like Fir Park.

Fir park is 330 square yards bigger than Pittodrie. I am guessing that not many stattos know that.:lol: So, they have more experience of playing on a bigger pitch than Aberdeen.;)

18 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Fir park is 330 square yards bigger than Pittodrie. I am guessing that not many stattos know that.:lol: So, they have more experience of playing on a bigger pitch than Aberdeen.;)

Maybe Aberdeen could win the league if they played on a bigger pitch ? :lol:

23 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Makes as much sense as basing it on the size of the pitch.:lol:

Haha. Someone has been busy on Google. For the record a bigger pitch generally tends to favour the technically better teams. I don't think that's a revelation but it seems to be beyond you, unless you are saying Motherwell have more ability than Aberdeen. Frankly, I don't really care. I made a prediction based on players like GMS and Christie being able to find a bit of space to operate in more easily. You can go back to comparing pitch sizes now. 👍

Guest BlueGaz
Just now, DoonTheSlope said:

Yep. The FA Cup is anybody's with no Man City and I think Rangers are worth a bet considering there recent form and first hour or so against Celtc

Ooft, hope yer right, but your optimism streets ahead of mine ..... just don't see how Spurs can win it ;)