Angus Gunn - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Angus Gunn

Scout

On ‎19‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 3:36 AM, mccaughey85 said:

With a name like Angus gunn he should be playing for us. Being serious though he is only 22 and looks like he will have a decent career as he is already playing championship football. He obviously wants to play for England though but wether he will be good enough is another question as they have Pickford and butland as well as Joe Hart still being relatively young for a keeper.

Add Pope to that list as well who has been very good this year and is only mid twenties.

2 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Add Pope to that list as well who has been very good this year and is only mid twenties.

Supporters of Killie and Aberdeen have probably seen more of him than me but I know that Freddie Woodman is highly rated as well and he must only be a year or so younger than Gunn. Gunn may prove to to be the best of Butland, Pickford, Pope, Woodman but there's certainly more competition in that early to mid twenties category for England than there is for Scotland, Jordan Archer then who? 

13 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Supporters of Killie and Aberdeen have probably seen more of him than me but I know that Freddie Woodman is highly rated as well and he must only be a year or so younger than Gunn. Gunn may prove to to be the best of Butland, Pickford, Pope, Woodman but there's certainly more competition in that early to mid twenties category for England than there is for Scotland, Jordan Archer then who? 

And that's why we don't have any young keepers coming through because we allow average foreigners to clog up our league.

2 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Same true of strikers?

True of every position except left back ;)

It's been said a million times on here and will no doubt be said a million more, the amount of average imports in the league are stifling the development of young Scotsmen.

There isn't a decent player out side of Celtic in the SPL, some that might become better but the vast majority are either due their pensions or mediocre internationals from other countries.

The ones that might become good enough will either be at Parkhead, Ibrox or in the championship by August, it's the way it's been for close to twenty years and it will be the same in 20 years time.

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

52 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

And that's why we don't have any young keepers coming through because we allow average foreigners to clog up our league.

The big problem with young Scottish goalkeepers is that they are all very much the same. Reasonable shot stoppers with average distribution and a poor command of their area. As good as all three have been for the national team, Gordon, Marshall and McGregor all fall into a similar skill set to varying degrees.

Speaking with my club hat on, Joe Lewis commands his area far better than any Scottish keeper I have seen at Pittodrie in my 20 years going and that gives him a huge advantage over young Scottish keepers.

Until we can sort that issue out, through better coaching, clubs like Rangers, Aberdeen and Hibernian will tend to go foreign in order to secure a better keeper.

2 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

The big problem with young Scottish goalkeepers is that they are all very much the same. Reasonable shot stoppers with average distribution and a poor command of their area. As good as all three have been for the national team, Gordon, Marshall and McGregor all fall into a similar skill set to varying degrees.

Speaking with my club hat on, Joe Lewis commands his area far better than any Scottish keeper I have seen at Pittodrie in my 20 years going and that gives him a huge advantage over young Scottish keepers.

Until we can sort that issue out, through better coaching, clubs like Rangers, Aberdeen and Hibernian will tend to go foreign in order to secure a better keeper.

Maybe it's genetic and there aren't enough tall people in Scotland

1 minute ago, BucksburnDandy said:

I would say that there are very few keepers in the EPL who command their areas either, seems to be a general problem with modern keepers.  I'd be interested in anyone who sees Millwall regularly commenting on Jordan Archer because when I saw him regularly playing non league he wa san excellent shot stopper but that was an aspect of his game that needed work. 

1 minute ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Maybe it's genetic and there aren't enough tall people in Scotland

Thankfully the latest squad has put that nonsense to bed. The big problem around Scottish keepers comes from inferior coaching.

Anyway it wasn't genetics that cost us in Slovenia, it was players not concentrating at set pieces and a failure to counter the half time sub for Slovenia.

43 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

True of every position except left back ;)

It's been said a million times on here and will no doubt be said a million more, the amount of average imports in the league are stifling the development of young Scotsmen.

There isn't a decent player out side of Celtic in the SPL, some that might become better but the vast majority are either due their pensions or mediocre internationals from other countries.

The ones that might become good enough will either be at Parkhead, Ibrox or in the championship by August, it's the way it's been for close to twenty years and it will be the same in 20 years time.

Sad but true.