RED ALERT....RED ALERT....RED ALERT.... - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

RED ALERT....RED ALERT....RED ALERT....

9 minutes ago, Ormond said:

The conditions were different. Scotland has become pathetic. 

You're 3500 miles away from the weather, why are you speaking like you have any first hand knowledge of the conditions? Although i could ask myself why i'm debating the weather in Scotland with someone in Chicago. One of us hs to be sensible.

Just now, phart said:

You're 3500 miles away from the weather, why are you speaking like you have any first hand knowledge of the conditions? Although i could ask myself why i'm debating the weather in Scotland with someone in Chicago. One of us hs to be sensible.

Because I remember what snow was like 20 years ago. School’s weren’t closed because they had what Scotland has/is having. Trains being cancelled? Give me a break. I have seen the images from every part of Scotland throughout the day. It’s Winter, get over it. Red alert? FFS, what do you think they will call it when it gets bad? A double red alert? 

40 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Because I remember what snow was like 20 years ago. School’s weren’t closed because they had what Scotland has/is having. Trains being cancelled? Give me a break. I have seen the images from every part of Scotland throughout the day. It’s Winter, get over it. Red alert? FFS, what do you think they will call it when it gets bad? A double red alert? 

I remember what schools were like over 20 years ago (20 years ago i was working) I also know what it looks like today as well. I mind getting sent home about 30 years ago and it was about as bad as it has been today. I'm in the exact same town as well, but about 500 yards from where i lived back then.

The name is a bit star trek the klingons are coming, but as i said it doesn't matter what they call it, the conditions are what count.

1 minute ago, phart said:

I remember what schools were like over 20 years ago (20 years ago i was working) I also know what it looks like today as well. I mind getting sent home about 30 years ago and it was about as bad as it has been today. I'm in the exact same town as well, but about 500 yards from where i lived back then.

The name is a bit star trek the klingons are coming, but as i said it doesn't matter what they call it, the conditions are what count.

I don’t want to seem like one of those “back in my day” crowd. But, weather has changed. Winters are milder and snow is less. I have seen pictures from every part of Scotland today and it’s not just this year but even when I lived there the general defeated attitude has changed from what it used to be. 20 years ago I was working too. I was 17. I can’t remember public transport stopping or being off of work. 

1 hour ago, Mindimoo said:

I've been trying all day to find the one about how to deal with hypothermia!  The one with the guy in the sleeping bag and the rescuer climbing in to the sleeping bag with him.

"Offer warm drinks but not alcohol".

All the classics seem to be on YouTube except that one. I mind trying to find it before after a mate took a mad walk home in the snow.

We're not arguing who's snow is the deepest at all. We're debating if the reaction to the snow is the same as it was when we were kids. Ormond insists we're embarrassing now with our reaction. I'm saying the conditions on the ground (albeit pics might show a different story) are dangerous and it's not as embarrassing as being made out.

31 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I don’t want to seem like one of those “back in my day” crowd. But, weather has changed. Winters are milder and snow is less. I have seen pictures from every part of Scotland today and it’s not just this year but even when I lived there the general defeated attitude has changed from what it used to be. 20 years ago I was working too. I was 17. I can’t remember public transport stopping or being off of work. 

It has. More extremes.

Many winters are milder but more extreme bad weather too.

Climate change.

3 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Pretty mild in Dundee, just a couple inches of snow, but quite a lot of ice. Im just in from a run, theres a car on its roof at the bottom of the hilltown, took out a load of railings on its way over.

Coming down the steep slope right onto the back of the Wellgate? That hill would be dangerous if it was wet with rain never mind snow. 

3 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Coming down the steep slope right onto the back of the Wellgate? That hill would be dangerous if it was wet with rain never mind snow. 

I think so. That'll be the crash from around 7am today.

Shouldn't be getting into cars with steep hills in those conditions.

I hope the driver and if there were any passengers, are ok.

5 minutes ago, fringo said:

I think so. That'll be the crash from around 7am today.

Shouldn't be getting into cars with steep hills in those conditions.

I hope the driver and if there were any passengers, are ok.

I heard there was one this morning, but its a different one. I passed it at 8 tonight and it was clear, at 10 on the way back the car was there.

2 hours ago, Ormond said:

The conditions were different. Scotland has become pathetic. 

We don't have the resources to deal with it, it doesn't happen enough to have enough gritters so when it does we are fucked.