Stadium - Albania V Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Stadium

dan cake

Anybody heard anything about this  

In recently-released statement and video update of Arena Kombëtare construction the Albanian Football Federation (FSHF) suggested the project is roughly at the half-way mark.
“FSHF is constantly following the progress and situation at the site, where currently in particular sectors work has gone over 60% of the plan, mainly in the carcass. According to the most recent technical data, it is learned that works on concrete and metal structures are all in the middle.”
Reaching 50% would have been good if not for the fact that 65% of the schedule has already passed. With less than 8 months to go and 15 behind us, it's very unlikely that all work will be carried out by September 1. Even having discounted the fact that most remaining elements will be prefabricated.
By far the most advanced piece of 22,000-seat Arena Kombëtare is the one with little to do with football itself. 19-floor tower in the north-western corner already has its 16th floor in the making. Meanwhile, the actual northern grandstand is not even half-way done, not including the roof.

If stadium not ready, venue city likely to be Shkoder or Elbesan.

3 hours ago, dan cake said:

Anybody heard anything about this  

In recently-released statement and video update of Arena Kombëtare construction the Albanian Football Federation (FSHF) suggested the project is roughly at the half-way mark.
“FSHF is constantly following the progress and situation at the site, where currently in particular sectors work has gone over 60% of the plan, mainly in the carcass. According to the most recent technical data, it is learned that works on concrete and metal structures are all in the middle.”
Reaching 50% would have been good if not for the fact that 65% of the schedule has already passed. With less than 8 months to go and 15 behind us, it's very unlikely that all work will be carried out by September 1. Even having discounted the fact that most remaining elements will be prefabricated.
By far the most advanced piece of 22,000-seat Arena Kombëtare is the one with little to do with football itself. 19-floor tower in the north-western corner already has its 16th floor in the making. Meanwhile, the actual northern grandstand is not even half-way done, not including the roof.

If stadium not ready, venue city likely to be Shkoder or Elbesan.

Was in Tirana last weekend and visited the site.

There's not a chance the stadium will be completed in time for our fixture.

Elbasan is 22,000 capacity, Shkodra 28,000.

They played Italy and Spain during the last campaign in Shkodra, and I think it would be the better option of the two, as Elbasan (the town) is a dump.

Having said that, transport links from Tirana to Shkodra are poor by our standards. No railway and very few coaches, although no doubt some enterprising local or TA member may fill that gap for our visit.

Edited by Barney Rubble

10 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

They played Italy and Spain during the last campaign in Shkodra, and I think it would be the better option of the two, as Elbasan (the town) is a dump.

Having said that, transport links from Tirana to Shkodra are poor by our standards. No railway and very few coaches, although no doubt some enterprising local or TA member may fill that gap for our visit.

Shkoder is only 16k (and Elbasan is just under 13k)

I was in Shkoder last year. I know what you mean about the transport situation!

• 2 weeks later...

From their web-site it looks like they hope the game will be played at their new stadium.

A construction engineer (from Cambuslang) and I looked at the site less than three weeks ago, and it doesn't look likely.

But then in Albania you can never say never..................

15 minutes ago, Brummie Hibs said:

They should speak to Hearts to get tips on how to get approval to play games in unfit, unsafe and unfinished stadiums. 

Funnily enough, that was the exact comment I made to my mate when we were surveying the scene some days ago.

Fact is, they'll need to do a test of the stadium before it's compliant to host a competitive game, and they've already announced their June friendly v Norway for Elbasan.

Israel are due to play in Albania before we come knocking in November, and I honestly believe they will test/open the new stadium with a flagship game v Italy before any competitive games are played there (Italian money has gone into the refurbishment). 

My construction engineer mate reckoned they would need to be working round the clock until October to have it ready. So don't build your hopes up for the game being held in Tirana.

15 hours ago, SteveMcD said:

Albanian FA have put this video up on Facebook / Twitter

All the press releases are saying December 2018, so I think the Albanian FA are just hoping that they can get it done ahead of schedule.

At the Sunshine Appeal we have been speaking to former Celtic player Rudi Vata (he lives in Scotland these days) and he has told us no chance of the game being in Tirana (and he has done some asking for us over there)

Edited by wanderer

• 5 weeks later...

Wales have just announced a game against Albania for the 20th of November (few days after our game) and will be in Elbasan.

Based on nothing, but if I was a betting man I would view that Shkoder is now the favorite for our game.

24 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Wales have just announced a game against Albania for the 20th of November (few days after our game) and will be in Elbasan.

Based on nothing, but if I was a betting man I would view that Shkoder is now the favorite for our game.

I'm not a betting man, and I agree with you.

On 2/27/2018 at 11:35 AM, Barney Rubble said:

what was that irish woman ; helen donegan ?

transfer to game (a/c coach) ; tour of tirana concrete tower blocks and tin factory

good price ; 'craic' included

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/7/2018 at 6:51 PM, calum83 said:

is there any news yet on where the game is being played i for one have not heard anything i will be there even if it means hiring a donkey and taking days to get there lol

Nope....even Bus contact has has had no success from Albanian FA yet. Tirana is fairly central to both possible locations Shokoder 2 hours Elbasan 1.5 hours by bus if you are flying into there.