Replacement for Brown? - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Replacement for Brown?

er yir macaroon

2 hours ago, Alan said:

McGinn is not a holding midfielder

He is not a like for like replacement for Brown.

He will be if he’s asked. He does it all with his club, because he’s their best player. Not so with Scotland.

22 hours ago, Ormond said:

Just reading that McTominay is to meet Southgate today. That should put an end to the embarrassment of watching guys on here happy to feed off of England’s scraps.

How is he England's scraps? He's never represented England at any level and if anything I'm sure I read he'd previously joined up at a Scottish youth squad. 

1 hour ago, stevenmcn said:

How is he England's scraps? He's never represented England at any level and if anything I'm sure I read he'd previously joined up at a Scottish youth squad. 

If England want him then that’s it. If they don’t then we get the scraps. England will have the say.

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

If England want him then that’s it. If they don’t then we get the scraps. England will have the say.

I think you'll find Scott McTominay will have the say. There's nothing Gareth Southgate could say to him that he would be aware of already.

Saw Kevin Mcdonald play the role for Fulham this afternoon. Nice tidy player that seems to spot danger and mop up. 

Cairney was outstanding, easily the best player on the park. He has to start playing for the national side in the next campaign. 

Said it in another thread (will try to spell his name right this time!)

Midfield for two friendlies this month:

McTominay-Armstrong

Cairney

Armstrong did great when he finally broke into the team, McTominay will obviously start after being coaxed and Cairney will be a premier league player next season regardless of whether Fulham go up. He runs the show for them (with Sessegnon).

Looking at the midfield options for the last qualifiers I was amazed at the amount of games James Morrison started. Decent player but seems he's hardly played for West Brom this season or last.

Likes of McGinn, Darren Fletcher, McArthur and Bannan all squad players who can come in when injuries/suspensions bite.

There is plenty of depth in central midfield but the right combination needs to be found.

12 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Said it in another thread (will try to spell his name right this time!)

Midfield for two friendlies this month:

McTominay-Armstrong

Cairney

Armstrong did great when he finally broke into the team, McTominay will obviously start after being coaxed and Cairney will be a premier league player next season regardless of whether Fulham go up. He runs the show for them (with Sessegnon).

Looking at the midfield options for the last qualifiers I was amazed at the amount of games James Morrison started. Decent player but seems he's hardly played for West Brom this season or last.

Likes of McGinn, Darren Fletcher, McArthur and Bannan all squad players who can come in when injuries/suspensions bite.

There is plenty of depth in central midfield but the right combination needs to be found.

Surely Armstrong would be the offensive player of that 3 and Cairney playmaker?

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Dunno much about Cairney. Where does he play? Is he attacking midfield or a sitter? Right or left-footed? A lot on here seem to rate him.

According to the stats site I use he has not played as a defensive midfielder all season, and the only weakness in his game is his Defensive contribution.

Going by that I think he is better used further up the park which leaves our defensive midfielders still limited., unless our Celtic fans know otherwise.

34 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

According to the stats site I use he has not played as a defensive midfielder all season, and the only weakness in his game is his Defensive contribution.

Going by that I think he is better used further up the park which leaves our defensive midfielders still limited., unless our Celtic fans know otherwise.

He’s not defensive he sprays it around. My point is Armstrong is very good at running from midfield beyond the defenders and is not so good at spraying it around.

3 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Dunno much about Cairney. Where does he play? Is he attacking midfield or a sitter? Right or left-footed? A lot on here seem to rate him.

He play as attacking midfielder at Fulham in a three.

Sitter is McDonald who is probably worth a call up. Stefan Johansen (ex Celtic) is the inbetween midfielder.

It's a really good team at Fulham, they should get promotion this season.

46 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

He play as attacking midfielder at Fulham in a three.

Sitter is McDonald who is probably worth a call up. Stefan Johansen (ex Celtic) is the inbetween midfielder.

It's a really good team at Fulham, they should get promotion this season.

Only really need  one defensive midfielder in our currently suggested 3-5-2 formation? He just need to be really really good!

McDonald should be called up as obvious cover.

If we go 4-4-2 we are back to our original problems with Robertson and Tierney 

1 minute ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Only really need  one defensive midfielder in our currently suggested 3-5-2 formation? He just need to be really really good!

McDonald should be called up as obvious cover.

If we go 4-4-2 we are back to our original problems with Robertson and Tierney 

Agreed, we only need one in a 3-5-2. Most likely it will be McTominay or McGinn. Alternatively it could be Tierney but more likely in a 4-4-2. McRorie is another candidate - that lad is going to be a star.