Replacement for Brown? - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Replacement for Brown?

er yir macaroon

35 minutes ago, Langtonian said:

Hibs fans will know better seeing him more regularly but always been impressed by McGeoch when I,ve seen him play and think he merits a call up

Yes and no.

You could play the whole Hibs midfield for Scotland in games, and in other games you want them nowhere near the team. No consistency.

On 26/02/2018 at 2:37 PM, McDange said:

There's really 2 questions on this thread isn't there?

• Position - holding midfield enforcer. 

• Captain  

If we play with a holding midfielder, we have quite a few options.

If McTominay decides to play for us, then he would be the leading contender IMO.

After that, McGinn, McArthur, MacDonald, Fletcher, Coutts, Bridcutt could all play there.

On 2/28/2018 at 11:02 AM, Brummie Hibs said:

Yes and no.

You could play the whole Hibs midfield for Scotland in games, and in other games you want them nowhere near the team. No consistency.

I agree, my Hibs "mates" go on about McGinn but each time I've seen him he's been as good as invisible. Not convinced he's good enough.  

On 2/28/2018 at 12:08 PM, davew said:

If we play with a holding midfielder, we have quite a few options.

If McTominay decides to play for us, then he would be the leading contender IMO.

After that, McGinn, McArthur, MacDonald, Fletcher, Coutts, Bridcutt could all play there.

Why? just because he plays for the dirty Mancs doesn't automatically mean he's better than Scottish players. 

As captain, I'd give the job to Tierney, a young player and one of our best players, who's got the potential to get a lot better.  Snodgrass is another option but I'd be loathe to give the job to a 'flair' player.

As holding midfielder, I'm adding the name of John Fleck to the list. He's not quite turned out to be the player he was hyped up to be when he first came on the scene but he has developed into a very decent player, now playing at a similar level to many others in our squad.  Pros: good technique, aggressive (I think he's currently the most booked player in the English Championship) and tenacious. Cons: at 5'7" I don't expect he'll contribute much to the defending set pieces requirement! 

4 hours ago, scotlad said:

As captain, I'd give the job to Tierney, a young player and one of our best players, who's got the potential to get a lot better.  Snodgrass is another option but I'd be loathe to give the job to a 'flair' player.

As holding midfielder, I'm adding the name of John Fleck to the list. He's not quite turned out to be the player he was hyped up to be when he first came on the scene but he has developed into a very decent player, now playing at a similar level to many others in our squad.  Pros: good technique, aggressive (I think he's currently the most booked player in the English Championship) and tenacious. Cons: at 5'7" I don't expect he'll contribute much to the defending set pieces requirement! 

Not sure you can make Tierney captain.  His place is not guaranteed with robertson in the sam3 position

Just now, Bino's said:

He will not play left back

To not play an on form left back in an on form team at the top of the English premier league would be insane

So Tierney (easily our best player until Robertson's recent run of games) isn't guaranteed a place  in the team ? :blink:

It' s  insane to think that either Tierney or Robertson could be on the bench . Not many years ago our left back options were the likes of Paul Dixon , Jay McCeveley , Steven Whittaker ( who is right footed) . None of these would get near the team now 

1 minute ago, noctonjock said:

It' s  insane to think that either Tierney or Robertson could be on the bench . Not many years ago our left back options were the likes of Paul Dixon , Jay McCeveley , Steven Whittaker ( who is right footed) . None of these would get near the team now 

Barry’s Douglas not even being in the squad also - starring for Wolves and will be an EPL starter next season.

Great left back depth. 

46 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Just reading that McTominay is to meet Southgate today. That should put an end to the embarrassment of watching guys on here happy to feed off of England’s scraps.

Ah, but McLeish beat him to it - apparently spoke with him yesterday....

McGinn is not a holding midfielder

He is not a like for like replacement for Brown.

1 hour ago, shaggycoo said:

Ah, but McLeish beat him to it - apparently spoke with him yesterday....

It's fine either way buy it needs sorting. Bottom line is we're offering him right now and England are asking him to hold off until another time to see if he can get into their squad in the future. Either way, it should resolve itself soon. Feel sorry for the guy if he feels allegiance to both, which is understandable given he was born and brought up in England. None of us know if he was encouraged to embrace his new 'country' or if he was brought up to believe he was inherently Scottish. Neither do we know if any decision will be emotional or financial/profile/success etc driven.......good luck to him either way but it's time to decide.

2 hours ago, Alan said:

He is not a like for like replacement for Brown.

Like Scott Brown when he signs for Celtc they'll turn him into one