Replacement for Brown? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Replacement for Brown?

er yir macaroon

I think McGinn has been getting groomed to take over from Brown when the time come (as you said, that is the obvious one) with a chance for McGregor also now that Brown is not a option.

McTominay another possibility depending on if he joins us or not.

I do not think this is as bad as last time he chucked it, as there is 3/4 young players who could do well if given the chance.

1 hour ago, Brassrubber said:

If  McGinn is the best we have forget any tournaments in the forseeable 

I agree, I think he is overrated. Nobody gives the ball away or loses it in possession by pushing his arse into the defender more than John McGinn. If the Hibs didn't have a song for him he'd get slaughtered in the same manner Fraser Fyvie was

Sadly though he probably is the best young midfielder ready for international football at the minute

33 minutes ago, McDange said:

There's really 2 questions on this thread isn't there?

• Position - holding midfield enforcer. 

• Captain  

Question 1 - Suppose it comes down to the formation/style McLeish uses (at the moment everyone is assuming he will use the exact same tactics as Strachan) so remains to be seen, but as said, I think (on paper) McGinn is the natural successor.

Question 2 - Obvious candidates are Darren Fletcher and James Morrison, but neither are automatic starters/fit as they used to be.... after this you start talking about guys like Berra, Hanley, Snodgrass.... not really a stand out candidate.

I actually think Tierney is a good shout to keep hold of the arm band after doing a good job v the Dutch.

But, again, both questions will be answered by how Eck sets up his teams.

Edited by wanderer

2 hours ago, wanderer said:

I think McGinn has been getting groomed to take over from Brown when the time come (as you said, that is the obvious one) with a chance for McGregor also now that Brown is not a option.

McTominay another possibility depending on if he joins us or not.

I do not think this is as bad as last time he chucked it, as there is 3/4 young players who could do well if given the chance.

Mcgregor is shockingly bad

1 hour ago, DoonTheSlope said:

I agree, I think he is overrated. Nobody gives the ball away or loses it in possession by pushing his arse into the defender more than John McGinn. If the Hibs didn't have a song for him he'd get slaughtered in the same manner Fraser Fyvie was

Sadly though he probably is the best young midfielder ready for international football at the minute

Brown was terrible for losing possession just after winning it. Whatever his qualities passing aint one of them.

For me, in the defensive mid role, there's only really one.

Kevin McDonald. In the playoffs yet again with Fulham, big, pyhsical, decent with a ball at his feet and very rarely gives possession away.

The maybe list is headed by McTominay. I hope he picks us, but even if he does he'll likely be along side another defensive mid.
For the rest:
Bridcutt - Can't get in a poor Forest team after returning from injury.
Jack - Don't trust his temperament still. Ok as a backup, backup right back i guess.
Shinnie - Still not sure he's international class.
Bannan - better further forward, like Cairney and Armstrong, in behind the strikers.
McGinn - Good, but not a holding mid for me, more box to box. Could play along side one maybe.
Coutts - Improved a lot, but not sure he's at the right level. Shame he'll miss the 4 friendlies.

Still think our best lineup is something like this (much as i'd like to crowbar Ryan Fraser in there somehow):

Gordon
Lindsey - Mulgrew - Tierney
Paterson - McDonald - Armstrong - McTominay - Robertson
Griffiths - McBurnie

4 minutes ago, andyD said:

Kevin McDonald. In the playoffs yet again with Fulham, big, pyhsical, decent with a ball at his feet and very rarely gives possession away.

The maybe list is headed by McTominay. I hope he picks us, but even if he does he'll likely be along side another defensive mid.
For the rest:
Jack - Don't trust his temperament still. Ok as a backup, backup right back i guess.
Bannan - better further forward, like Cairney and Armstrong, in behind the strikers.
McGinn - Good, but not a holding mid for me, more box to box. Could play along side one maybe.
Coutts - Improved a lot, but not sure he's at the right level. Shame he'll miss the 4 friendlies.

Still think our best lineup is something like this (much as i'd like to crowbar Ryan Fraser in there somehow):

Gordon
Griffiths - McBurnie

Think you could only do that if you go with a 3-4-3. Or a 4.3.3 Do we really need Mulgrew now? Looking to the future and all that...

48 minutes ago, andyD said:

For the rest:

Gordon
Griffiths - McBurnie

McDonald is big but he’s not really physical or mobile in my, admittedly limited, experience of watching him.

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Brown was terrible for losing possession just after winning it. Whatever his qualities passing aint one of them.

Not true. He's one of the top midfielders in Europe when it comes to retaining possession. Both at club (European) and internationl level. There was a thread on here a while ago that proved the point.

It's just the one time he does lose possession in a game the hampden crowd explodes with rage. So you remember it. A good example was the home game vs Slovenia where he bossed the entire match, then passed the ball out the park in the 88th minute and half the crowd went beserk. 

1 hour ago, andyD said:

For the rest:

Gordon
Griffiths - McBurnie

Id certainly like to see Kev Macdonald given a chance in a few friendlies to see what he can do.