Scott Brown retires from international football - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scott Brown retires from international football

CNelson

He'll probably get stick for this but for me the key bit of what he said was "in interests of my family".

I remember when Gordon was in the middle of his big absence with injury that he was talking about potentially not being able to play with his kids properly because of the extent of the injury. Couldn't crouch down on the floor etc.

Was Brown not carrying a hip problem for a long while? It may be that he still is, he's just keeping it at bay for now. If it's a choice of dropping off the selection list for Scotland at 32 with 55 caps, having given it your best and being able to play with your kids. Fair enough. Cheers, Broony.

21 minutes ago, andyD said:

He'll probably get stick for this but for me the key bit of what he said was "in interests of my family".

Did Kris Commons not retire from Scotland to spend more time with his family, and then go to Vegas with his mates the next international break.

:lol:

21 minutes ago, andyD said:

I remember when Gordon was in the middle of his big absence with injury that he was talking about potentially not being able to play with his kids properly because of the extent of the injury. Couldn't crouch down on the floor etc.

Was Brown not carrying a hip problem for a long while? It may be that he still is, he's just keeping it at bay for now. If it's a choice of dropping off the selection list for Scotland at 32 with 55 caps, having given it your best and being able to play with your kids. Fair enough. Cheers, Broony.

I doubt it's got anything to do with not being able to play with his kids because he's got dodgy hips. If that were a big problem then he should chuck football completely.   There's probably two things behind it, his age means a couple of things, firstly it will take him longer to recover from games and any knocks he picks up, secondly, he's getting towards the point where he will no longer be an automatic starter for Celtic.  

One thing about International football that people perhaps don't appreciate is that it involves a lot of time away from home.  Even if you are playing a home game, you will be away from your home for several days.   At most with Celtic it will be a case of staying in a hotel the night before a domestic game match and a couple of nights away for a European away game.

The way things are structured now with the week of football chances are you will join up with the squad on a Monday following a game with your club at the weekend and be with the squad for eight or nine days, if you are lucky, you might get a day at home in the middle of that.

There are now more International games year on year than there have ever been and while this probably isn't too much of a problem for younger players at the start of their careers, I can understand why for older players with families it starts to become a problem.

I think the time is right for him to step aside and to remain retired this time.

Last time he chucked it he was one of the guilty one's for switching off completely after the Ireland game at Celtic, and hardly kicked a ball for the rest of the campaign.

No coincidence that the good run we had last year coincided with his return, but last time around Strachan seemed to be content that Oli Burke was somehow Browns natural successor (and tried to fit him into the team), even though players like McGinn and McLean had showed in friendlies that they could step up.

Brown is not getting any younger, and his gap now opens the door for McGinn to get a prolonged run, and players like McGregor, Cairney and (possibly) McTominay not far behind (and the likes of Morgan in a few years time).

Certainly got a lot more options now than we did when Strachan sent the SOS call out.

11 minutes ago, aaid said:

I doubt it's got anything to do with not being able to play with his kids because he's got dodgy hips. If that were a big problem then he should chuck football completely.   There's probably two things behind it, his age means a couple of things, firstly it will take him longer to recover from games and any knocks he picks up, secondly, he's getting towards the point where he will no longer be an automatic starter for Celtic.  

One thing about International football that people perhaps don't appreciate is that it involves a lot of time away from home.  Even if you are playing a home game, you will be away from your home for several days.   At most with Celtic it will be a case of staying in a hotel the night before a domestic game match and a couple of nights away for a European away game.

The way things are structured now with the week of football chances are you will join up with the squad on a Monday following a game with your club at the weekend and be with the squad for eight or nine days, if you are lucky, you might get a day at home in the middle of that.

There are now more International games year on year than there have ever been and while this probably isn't too much of a problem for younger players at the start of their careers, I can understand why for older players with families it starts to become a problem.

The whole part in bold is nonsense, some people spend half of their careers till retirement age away from their families, they accept that this is part of the work they have chosen to do. Some people do jobs which see them away most of the week or at long periods at any one time. From my own experience - Fishermen and oil rig workers, I also had a job where I was away from home a good portion of the week, every week. Do you miss being home every night? yes sometimes you do but you get on with it.

Footballers also have the luxury of getting home earlier than most people during the day and if they've earned enough they will retire much earlier than anyone else. If a player is successful he will be away from family, its part of their job. 

Over the last 12 months Scotland have taken part in three of these "week of football" bollocks so thats a total of three weeks away from their families. There was a one off game at home against England so that can hardly be classed as time away from family. Even if it was it was only four weeks of the year. Thats not much to ask of someone who does a job most of us could only dream of. 

If any footballer thinks being away for over four weeks is a problem, they've chosen the wrong career

Wonder if Fletcher will retire or stay on as the senior head in midfield for another 18 months? He's lost his place in the Stoke midfield recently so that might convince him to stay on a bit longer.

He's not a regular anymore of course though. Armstrong started in Lithuania and will surely be a regular pick from now on and Bannan started the final two games although injured atm so doubt he'll make the next squad.

2 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Wonder if Fletcher will retire or stay on as the senior head in midfield for another 18 months? He's lost his place in the Stoke midfield recently so that might convince him to stay on a bit longer.

He's not a regular anymore of course though. Armstrong started in Lithuania and will surely be a regular pick from now on and Bannan started the final two games although injured atm so doubt he'll make the next squad.

As said on another thread, I think Fletcher will have to be told he is not needed, rather the choice being his, as I feel he is focused on getting 100 cap's and a place in a finals with Scotland (I think he will give us one more campaign, but accept its at a greatly reduced role, and is actually more of a "unofficial" coaching role around the squad).

Regardless of what you think about the player and his mentality - if he's not 100% dedicated he is right not to put himself forward for selection.

Greg Docherty was outstanding vs Hearts at the weekend - only a matter of time before he is a mainstay in the team.

8 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

The whole part in bold is nonsense, some people spend half of their careers till retirement age away from their families, they accept that this is part of the work they have chosen to do. Some people do jobs which see them away most of the week or at long periods at any one time. From my own experience - Fishermen and oil rig workers, I also had a job where I was away from home a good portion of the week, every week. Do you miss being home every night? yes sometimes you do but you get on with it.

Footballers also have the luxury of getting home earlier than most people during the day and if they've earned enough they will retire much earlier than anyone else. If a player is successful he will be away from family, its part of their job. 

Over the last 12 months Scotland have taken part in three of these "week of football" bollocks so thats a total of three weeks away from their families. There was a one off game at home against England so that can hardly be classed as time away from family. Even if it was it was only four weeks of the year. Thats not much to ask of someone who does a job most of us could only dream of. 

If any footballer thinks being away for over four weeks is a problem, they've chosen the wrong career

I think it's a fair point that was made. I've definitely made career choices that means I spend a minimum amount of time away from home. And I think that's ok. I could have just 'gotten on with it'. But just getting on with life is pretty shite. I'd much rather make choices that balance work and family. 

Most players are going to conclude playing for their country as worth sacrificing family time. 

But surely you can see that a player might reasonably think - I'm heading towards the end of my career, my best playing days are behind me, there are some decent youngsters coming though and id now rather spend time with my family than playing football with scotland. 

29 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

I think it's a fair point that was made. I've definitely made career choices that means I spend a minimum amount of time away from home. And I think that's ok. I could have just 'gotten on with it'. But just getting on with life is pretty shite. I'd much rather make choices that balance work and family. 

Most players are going to conclude playing for their country as worth sacrificing family time. 

But surely you can see that a player might reasonably think - I'm heading towards the end of my career, my best playing days are behind me, there are some decent youngsters coming though and id now rather spend time with my family than playing football with scotland. 

Most footballers want to play as much as they can because it’s a short career for them or they want to drag their club career on for longer because that’s where they get paid.

He doesn’t want to play for Scotland anymore, that’s fair enough if he wants to use the time to rest his body more and concentrate on Celtic, I’m absolutely fine with that but I’m not buying the family reasons.

Its three weeks away....four at the most. It’s nothing.

8 hours ago, Ormond said:

When he could be arsed wearing it. :rolleyes:

Agreed, I’ve never been convinced that he was 100% committed. Strachan fed his ego so he came back, I honestly think there’s a lot of revisionism at play here, he wasn’t the world class midfielder he is being made out to be.

7 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I’ve been expecting this since the end of the WC qualifiers. I’d have been very surprised if he’d carried on. 

We will miss him obviously but we are well covered in midfield so I’m not that bothered in all honesty. 

Agree with this, once the next campaign kicks off we won’t care whether he retired or not 

According to Keith Jackson this morning we've to blame Regan's decision to sack Strachan as the reason for Brown retiring again.  Now I'm not Regan's biggest fan but you don't pick and choose whether you play for your country or not based on who the Manager is.  That's the same thing that Kris Boyd, rightly, got slated for!

3 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

According to Keith Jackson this morning we've to blame Regan's decision to sack Strachan as the reason for Brown retiring again.  Now I'm not Regan's biggest fan but you don't pick and choose whether you play for your country or not based on who the Manager is.  That's the same thing that Kris Boyd, rightly, got slated for!

He's a wallipurr. Absolute cock piece that wouldn't know a proper piece of journalism if it skelped him in the mouth