Future stars - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Future stars

SkyBlueScot

5 hours ago, wanderer said:

Thought he was really good for the U17's and U19's, but he was one of a number of "good" young keepers we have coming through, with none really that out standing.

His Brother on the other hand has been head and shoulders above everyone else from U17 level up wards, and though maybe a bit early just now, if he can keep his place in the Rangers team next season, he will certainly force his way into Eck squad plans by the time the Euro qualifiers come along. 

McBurnie has shown at youth level with Swansea that there is something there, but just every time I have seen him given a chance he has been a tad Bambi-ish.

Always liked the look of Cameron and Sammut, but just a case of will they get chances at club level to progress (or turn up one weekend in 2 or 3 years time on Soccer Saturday scoring for Grimsby or Aldershot) 

Definitely not too early for McCrorie (Ross).

We need to get away from this attitude that players need to play 250 games and be 26 years old before we cap them.

Hes one of a number of young defenders who should be in the squad going to South America in the summer alongside Souttar, Lindsay, McKenna, Bates & Hendry

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Definitely not too early for McCrorie (Ross).

We need to get away from this attitude that players need to play 250 games and be 26 years old before we cap them.

Hes one of a number of young defenders who should be in the squad going to South America in the summer alongside Souttar, Lindsay, McKenna, Bates & Hendry

Pretty easy to spot the future stars after a couple of dozen games, must be a great gift to have. At least the others have some sort of experience, take along two or three more experienced defender and they might actually l learn something.

8 hours ago, wanderer said:

Thought he was really good for the U17's and U19's, but he was one of a number of "good" young keepers we have coming through, with none really that out standing.

His Brother on the other hand has been head and shoulders above everyone else from U17 level up wards, and though maybe a bit early just now, if he can keep his place in the Rangers team next season, he will certainly force his way into Eck squad plans by the time the Euro qualifiers come along. 

McBurnie has shown at youth level with Swansea that there is something there, but just every time I have seen him given a chance he has been a tad Bambi-ish.

Always liked the look of Cameron and Sammut, but just a case of will they get chances at club level to progress (or turn up one weekend in 2 or 3 years time on Soccer Saturday scoring for Grimsby or Aldershot) 

It’s funny how folks opinions differ as I’ve yet to be impressed by his brother. Granted his sibling is playing for Berwick Rangers at present but he has been nothing short of magnificent for them. Just as well or he’d be in a side destination being Lowland League. 

Here's a few more:

Full backs
Stephen Kingsley (Hull)
Donald Love (Sunderland)

DM
Jay Fulton (Wigan on loan from Swansea)

Midfield
Stephen Mallan (Barnsley)
Theo Archibald (Brentford)

Wingers
Lewis MacLeod (Brentford)
Barrie McKay (Forest)

Forward
Sam Gallagher (Birmingham)

57 minutes ago, davew said:

Forward
Sam Gallagher (Birmingham)

Bar a alright run with Blackburn last season where he scored something like 6 goals in 5 games, he has done very little of note while shipped out on loan from Southampton, and will most likely end up signing full time for a Championship/League 1 side team in the summer as I doubt he will break into the Southampton team any time soon (I think he is 23 this year).

Certainly not going to play for England, and unless he can find his goal scoring boots, do not think he is much better than what we have already.

22 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Bar a alright run with Blackburn last season where he scored something like 6 goals in 5 games, he has done very little of note while shipped out on loan from Southampton, and will most likely end up signing full time for a Championship/League 1 side team in the summer as I doubt he will break into the Southampton team any time soon (I think he is 23 this year).

Certainly not going to play for England, and unless he can find his goal scoring boots, do not think he is much better than what we have already.

He's had a decent run recently for Birmingham but I can't see him making it at epl level. Will most likely settle at championship level. Good chance he will end up in our squad eventually imo.

3 hours ago, wanderer said:

Was on a decent run of form(six goals eight games) until every one at Birmingham dropped tools. 90 mins every week though so well worth a look considering our other options in that department

On 23/02/2018 at 9:45 AM, aaid said:

No Islam Feruz then?

The perfect example of why it's pointless looking at potential future stars (not a dig at op). We are great at 16/17 yr old, then a large chunk of these players start to think they've made it and discover booze and birds and are has been by 21. There was a lot of excitement the other week when one of the youth sides beat Spain, but I'd bet that that same fixtures five years down the line would  finish in a very different outcome.

3 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

The perfect example of why it's pointless looking at potential future stars (not a dig at op). We are great at 16/17 yr old, then a large chunk of these players start to think they've made it and discover booze and birds and are has been by 21. There was a lot of excitement the other week when one of the youth sides beat Spain, but I'd bet that that same fixtures five years down the line would  finish in a very different outcome.

You might as well just chuck it.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Was on a decent run of form(six goals eight games) until every one at Birmingham dropped tools. 90 mins every week though so well worth a look considering our other options in that department

Very well might (at 22/23 certainly not going to be in England's long term plans) but is he any better than anything we already have and what is available to us?

suppose comes down to what Eck does tactics-wise, as it's fair to say he was probably one of the few Scotland managers of recent times to get the best out of his strikers (Kenny Miller has always been good for goals here and there, but Gary O'Connor and Kris Boyd also had their best periods with Scotland) so hopefully Eck can do the same.

He will probably be aware of Gallagher (or will see his name on a list of available players) as while he never added anyone of note last time, he uncovered that James Morrison and Jamie Mackie were eligiable, and tried to get agbonlahor to switch.

8 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Very well might (at 22/23 certainly not going to be in England's long term plans) but is he any better than anything we already have and what is available to us?

suppose comes down to what Eck does tactics-wise, as it's fair to say he was probably one of the few Scotland managers of recent times to get the best out of his strikers (Kenny Miller has always been good for goals here and there, but Gary O'Connor and Kris Boyd also had their best periods with Scotland) so hopefully Eck can do the same.

He will probably be aware of Gallagher (or will see his name on a list of available players) as while he never added anyone of note last time, he uncovered that James Morrison and Jamie Mackie were eligiable, and tried to get agbonlahor to switch.

Struggle to name three players better than him though, He hasn't lived up to his early potential but at 22 we might see him improve enough yet. Wish we still had under 23 internationals to check on the ability of a lot of the nearly men floating about.. 

On 2/23/2018 at 10:04 PM, Hertsscot said:

What happened to the youngster at Livi, Matthew Knox (?) that Man Utd, Rangers Tec were interested in a few years back. IIRC he's on loan somewhere but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

east fife, not sure if he has played. i saw him start against hibs and he was totally anonymous and was subbed early seconds half.  i dont' think there is anything to get excited about there.