First job for mcleish.... - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

First job for mcleish....

Malcolm

Is it still the case that he needs to play in a competitive match before he is tied to Scotland (or whoever he chooses)? 

I assume the new Nations League will count as competitive games.

McLeish could let him know now that he is in his plans and then call him up in September. That gives the guy a few months to make up his mind. Wait until we are 3-0 up then bring him on for the last 5 minutes. He might be over 30 by the time that happens right enough.:lol:

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Ireland have actually been qualifying for tournaments though so choosing Ireland over Scotland is probably an easier choice than choosing Scotland over England. 

A large number of Scots of Irish descent already support Ireland over Scotland so if McGeady was already an Ireland supporter his choice was easy. 

I would have agreed 100% if we where still in the 1970'/80's - but from my own personal experiences thats largely (thankfully) no longer the case (IMO of course)

2 hours ago, glasgow jock said:

I would have agreed 100% if we where still in the 1970'/80's - but from my own personal experiences thats largely (thankfully) no longer the case (IMO of course)

You obviously don’t move in the same circles as me. 

It’s definitely not a majority but still decent percentage I reckon. In certain areas anyway. 

47 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

Is this player actually any use?

Not done anything of note but is young and attached to a big club. England wont be interested yet, hence the need for us to approach him. He will probably say no if he thinks he will be good enough to play for England in the future. Calling him up is a sign of desperation on our part at least until he has more than half a dozen competitive first team games.

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Not done anything of note but is young and attached to a big club. England wont be interested yet, hence the need for us to approach him. He will probably say no if he thinks he will be good enough to play for England in the future. Calling him up is a sign of desperation on our part at least until he has more than half a dozen competitive first team games.

He already has more than half a dozen competitive games under his belt.

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

If you count domestic cups as competitive he has 8 starts if not then four starts for a total of 409 minutes including sub appearances. Not saying he wont be great but we are getting totally carried away here. 

Oh I agree. I haven't seen enough hard evidence yet to prove he is going to be a great player. It is symptomatic with how we are now.....desperate. A youngster has a handful of games for a big side and he is the real deal. In recent years we have seen enough of these players sink without trace to know better.

8 hours ago, glasgow jock said:

I don't think many punters of Irish backgrounds/allegiances actively supported Ireland until at least jack charltons reign in mid 80s onwards - Ireland were barely on the radar , internationally before that

they always had some great players before that , but I don't recall them even being classed as a 'home nation' on football focus round ups until Charlton took over and the team became filled with household names ; one game that stood out was the 2-2 draw away to Belgium - showing highlights /goals on the Saturday (we lost 4-1 I recall in our game there) euro 88 qualifiers

so unless folk hopped on the ferry midweek / or flew (pre budget airlines) ; then support back then would have been limited to possibly catching it a la tranny , or reading about it in following days papers

and for the plastics out there ; replica kits in the 70s were hard to come by

so I would argue the opposite - and as perfect storms have it ; the timing of souness arrival with his English mates kicked in the English support for the other mob - I recall with sadness a fan at pittodrie with a white England shirt with "Butcher" 6 on the back (aye it may of his been his name or he was in fact a butcher , or a Chelsea fan  ; I can add a couple of observations to that tho - out with workmates / all gers fans - talking about Gazza goal - didn't know whether to cheer or not , and bloke I bought my house off , talking about us playing Iceland away 03 ? he was on about watching the England game)

forgot to mention the pub near Hampden we drank in pre game mid 2000s, full of goading Celtic/irish types - you know Ireland tops,irish music, street urchins out looking for bother etc

Edited by Auchinyell Sox Change

18 hours ago, daviebee said:

Does anyone know that for sure though?  McLeish should ask him and publicise the answer.  If he wants to play for England then we forget about him and move on with no crawling back to him in 5 years if he turns out not to be good enough for them.

For sure?  No, but it's safe to assume that if he saw himself as Scottish he would have surely jumped at the chance of a cap against Holland (if he was actually asked as is rumoured)

18 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Offer him a call up.

If he is unsure then never ask him again.

Simple.

Bang on!

15 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Completely disagree with you.  The SFA/Scotland were rightly pilloried for not moving sooner and missing out on McCarthy and McGeady etc!  Calling up an obvious potential major talent now makes perfect sense!

15 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

This has got me wondering, Which player has the less senior club aperances and played for Scotland ?

How many games had Darren Fletcher played for Man United before his debut ?

1 hour ago, bookerman said:

This has got me wondering, Which player has the less senior club aperances and played for Scotland ?

Fletcher had barely played a full game for Man Utd, I'm sure it was a handful of sub appearances. 

2 hours ago, bookerman said:

Don't think there was any doubt at that time that Fletcher would play for us it would also have been easier as we had less midfield talent then. Comparing is with this and the Irish and their policy is a bit hypocritical . Once he is good enough pick him in fact that's pretty much what the Irish did

You can guarantee the Welsh and Irish would be all over this kid if he had links to them. Wales have "stole" a couple of decent players of England recently I believe. 

We are somewhat fortunate that England are preparing for a World Cup and there's no chance of him breaking in there at the moment. I'd have him in the squad for the upcoming games at least.if he doesn't want to picked then draw a line under it.

1 hour ago, Paulo2576 said:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/manchester-united-scott-mctominay-profile-sevilla-champions-league-jose-mourinho-a8222296.html

interesting article on him, basically praising him for doing nothing. Not sure I want Scott brown to step aside just yet!!

Scott Brown can get to fuck. His attitude is appalling and he’s yesterday’s news anyway. 

1 minute ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

If the boy McTominay  say's no to Scotland waits a year or two hoping for an England call up which doesn't happen then decides on Scotland what sort of reception will he get?

Plenty people will find it unacceptable. Plenty people will spunk themselves over a great transfer coup.