Upcoming Friendly Expectations - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Upcoming Friendly Expectations

N4Footsoldier

So now we have the fixtures set up to warm us up for the Nations League later in the year - what are people's thoughts on what we could expect to be considered a good set of results here?

Certainly the 2 away games in Peru and Mexico even with our unbeaten form we would be surely considered to be punching well above our weight.

Nevertheless I suppose the performances are the main thing. But what would you consider a good haul from the next 4 games, how many wins/losses?

I think if we can prove ourselves to be competitive in the games then they are a good exercise, certainly Costa Rica would be classed as the most winnable, but bear in mind McLeish will be operating with a new squad of players to find how they all fit in and what works best.

I’d settle for four good performances and our unbeaten run to be preserved. 2 wins and 2 draws would be good but like you say, performances are what count. 

I suppose the most important thing is for McLeish to determine the formation and tactics he’s going to use against Albania and Israel, particularly at the back. 

Result wise: we should beat Hungary - they only managed three wins last year against Lativa, the Faroes and Costa Rica. They even lost to Andorra and Luxembourg.

Costa Rica, Peru and Mexico will have players attempting to win a place in their squad for the World Cup or a place in their starting XI, which may make them harder. Although their better players may not play to their maximum to avoid injury.

We shouldn't lose to Costa Rica, especially at home, but Peru and Mexico will be very difficult away.

I'd expect:

• Costa Rica - at least a draw, probably a win
  • Hungary - win
  • Peru - loss
  • Mexico - loss

However, I don't think the results are particularly important in these games. The most important thing is for McLeish to get the squad to learn his tactics and to ensure we're in a good position going into the Nations League. These games should give some players that haven't managed to make the squad regularly a chance to show what they can do.

The two games next month are important. McLeish needs a good start to get fans on-board. 

The squad will give us some idea as to whether he is going to keep the same players are make some big changes to what Strachan was doing. McTominay being included would be a big plus.

I think we can beat both Costa Rica and Hungary. The games in the summer will be much more difficult. 

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, jamboman said:

I hope you are right, which grapevine did you hear this from?

It’s from someone who works at one of the newspapers & apparently that will be going in them this week prior to the squad being named.

Fingers crossed it’s legit! 

Results to me are largely irrevelant.

Main thing has to be giving enough minutes to the up and coming players so they're ready for the serious stuff in September.

We've seen before under Levein and Strachan good results in friendlies but then the team struggle when the qualifiers start as the team hasn't been regenerated enough.