The Split - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

43 minutes ago, Mox said:

The split makes a mockery of the league. This arguement as well that it somehow creates excitement for the average fan in terms of teams being relegated and going for Europe etc is nonsense.

The last few games of the season everyone should be playing everyone, the best against the best and worst against the worst makes only for contrived and faux excitement. 

They could keep this an more traditional league format without a split as well if they wanted to. If they based the fixtures on the previous years league positions then they could have the top half all play each other in their final games and the bottom half all play each other in their final games. While this wouldn't be 100% guranteed as some teams might do significantly different one season to the next I'd hazard a guess that the bulk of the games would still seem teams playing those around them.

Edited by theweestevie

4 hours ago, dandydunn said:

As was mentioned earlier, the last match last season was advertised on sky before the top 6 had been fully decided, how can that possibly be fair on everyone else?

Don't have a problem with that tbh if both teams are confirmed in the top 6.

Personally I'd prefer a 16 team league with 30 games.  Would introduce a bit of breathing space into the season.  eg. Killie are currently in the middle of a sequence of 13 games in 8 weeks.

46 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Don't have a problem with that tbh if both teams are confirmed in the top 6.

Personally I'd prefer a 16 team league with 30 games.  Would introduce a bit of breathing space into the season.  eg. Killie are currently in the middle of a sequence of 13 games in 8 weeks.

But how do they know that all other teams then playing 3 games away from home without knowing who will be in the draw? If one or the other has to go there 3 times, surely that’s just tough shit? Or are the scared of the repercussions of doing that?

As it stands, we’ll be due Rangers,Hearts and Hibs at home, Killie and Celtic away, let’s see how that works out. 

17 minutes ago, Pâté said:

3 options. 

Play each other 4 times and no split 

Split but you make sure each team ends up playing esch side home and away 

As it is and being shite for most teams.  

While the current system isn’t necessarily fair, your option B could leave a team with 17 home and 21 aways, surely playing a team or two home/Away 3 times is fairer overall?

The split does work reasonably well, but it’s not perfect by a long way, so it throws up these anomalies.

probaby a bigger league would be better, but teams won’t vote for a 30 fixture season...

9 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

While the current system isn’t necessarily fair, your option B could leave a team with 17 home and 21 aways, surely playing a team or two home/Away 3 times is fairer overall?

The split does work reasonably well, but it’s not perfect by a long way, so it throws up these anomalies.

probaby a bigger league would be better, but teams won’t vote for a 30 fixture season...

I think he might have been meaning play each other twice then split to play the bottom or top 6 twice.

37 minutes ago, drew said:

I think he might have been meaning play each other twice then split to play the bottom or top 6 twice.

I think that, with a 16 team league could work, but if you’re 9th on goal difference at the split it’s a real kick in the stones.

plus would mean a bottom half team would only get 2 old firm visits season rather than potentially 3 or 4 so won’t get voted through.

The thing that holds and meaningful change back are short sighted clubs only looking at the next pay day and next set of bills.

Edited by sbcmfc

On Friday, February 23, 2018 at 1:57 PM, sbcmfc said:

I think that, with a 16 team league could work, but if you’re 9th on goal difference at the split it’s a real kick in the stones.

Would mean a 44 game season. Might as well keep the top 12 and play each other 4 times in that case...

9 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Would mean a 44 game season. Might as well keep the top 12 and play each other 4 times in that case...

:lol:

didnt do “the math” on that.

thats was how that whole 888 league idea came about.

I don’t think there’s the strength in depth to go much deeper than 14-16 teams without ending up with some real cannon fodder.

Youd also have situation where half the teams in the 2nd tier were part time and had no chance of doing anything against whoever cane down from the prem.

Although the main thing holding back change is that nobody in power wants to change it if it means less old firm games and less visits to them from the OF.

the unfair home and away is shit, but so is the fact that the team finishing 7th or 8th can and have finished with more points than 5th and 6th on a good few occasions, for anyone looking in it just looks ridiculous!

I'd seen an interesting suggestion of having two leagues of 8, playing 4 games against the teams in your division, then 1 game against all the teams in the other division (scattered throughout the season). Would mean an even 18 home games each.

Being relegated by finishing 8th would be tough, but the season would be unlikely to be dull!

On 26/02/2018 at 6:00 PM, Alan said:

It's really not a big deal. Aberdeen will shite it v Celtic or Rangers (now add Hibs to the list) so where they play does not impact their performance or result.

Correct

scottish football is back :lol::lol: