McLeish today - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

McLeish today

er yir macaroon

3 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

There’s been quite a lot of muttering and innuendo about him online, but I thought he came across fine today. He has a presence and a bit of wit and  I think the players will take to him. He’s also clearly a fan, and good luck to him.

I heard something on the radio. It gave the impression people on the street (or whoever they found) were OK about it but hinted at social media being more negative - though that's the nature of it.

56 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Does this warrant its own thread? 

Who knows?  Is Jeremy Corbyn fecked? Is Donald Trump's Campaign a Spoof?

But there could be a case for a new thread about McLeish now he's in the job while the other one is about Next Scotland Manager and people are still argung over that and maybe who should be the next Scotland manager...?.

45 minutes ago, exile said:

But there could be a case for a new thread about McLeish now he's in the job while the other one is about Next Scotland Manager and people are still argung over that and maybe who should be the next Scotland manager...?.

Arguing about who should be the next manager - that made me laugh. 

I thought he sounded like he had zero wit. When asked about the squad he gave no insight and was muttering generalisms/cliches. Didn't seem like he knew the team...mentioned something about snodgrass and that was it.

He is obviously a fan though. A poorly informed one right enough.

I hope you are right and the players take to him. 

12 hours ago, exile said:

😂

14 minutes ago, tartanmartin said:

He sounded blootered on sportsound on Friday. 

He always sounds a bit like that now

Last time he was boss he picked the obvious players, put them on the park in their natural position s and organised them, seemed to work

He never refused to pick our best striker claiming he was too small like Strachan or alienated half the squad like burley, didn't pick a striker like levein

You could probably manage to avoid all that even whilst being gassed

1 hour ago, Baz said:

Given the clamour to get Michael O’Neil I find it hilarious that some hawfwits have resorted to the McLeish’s an alky patter.

I met Eck in Aberdeen airport about 10 years ago and I know that he was unlikely to be a complete a**e to a stranger but he struck as a very nice, down to earth bloke. He took time to talk to to me which he did not have to and we talked for about 10 minutes, mainly about Scotland players. It was not in the bar and he was sober. I also know that being nice doesn't necessarily bring success, but I liked him and I wish him well.  

1 minute ago, Jacques Hunt said:

I met Eck in Aberdeen airport about 10 years ago and I know that he was unlikely to be a complete a**e to a stranger but he struck as a very nice, down to earth bloke. He took time to talk to to me which he did not have to and we talked for about 10 minutes, mainly about Scotland players. It was not in the bar and he was sober. I also know that being nice doesn't necessarily bring success, but I liked him and I wish him well.  

This seems to be a familiar story from everybody that has met him. And a number of folk have given me this account over the last few days, to the extent that it's changed my mind a bit.

You're right being a humble and all round nice guy won't buy you success. But it should buy you some good grace from the fans and half a chance to do a job. 

Dont get me wrong. I'm very concerned about his inability to articulate any intelligent or insightful comment. I am also concerned with his apparent obsession with the EPL (on Friday night) and failure to mention any of the strengths here in Scotland - Celtics experience in Europe, the options in Aberdeen and the youngsters coming through at Hearts.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of doubt and put it down to rustiness, which he can shake off. However, I can also believe it's possible he's pished or past his sell-by. 

However, time will tell and we should give him that chance. By the end of the year we'll have played 8 games with half of them competitive. By that point we'll know. And if he's not up to the task we should hit the ejector button with still a full crack at the Euros to come. 

21 minutes ago, Jacques Hunt said:

I don’t believe that for a second. 

Aberdeen has an airport? :spin:

7 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

This seems to be a familiar story from everybody that has met him. And a number of folk have given me this account over the last few days, to the extent that it's changed my mind a bit.

You're right being a humble and all round nice guy won't buy you success. But it should buy you some good grace from the fans and half a chance to do a job. 

Dont get me wrong. I'm very concerned about his inability to articulate any intelligent or insightful comment. I am also concerned with his apparent obsession with the EPL (on Friday night) and failure to mention any of the strengths here in Scotland - Celtics experience in Europe, the options in Aberdeen and the youngsters coming through at Hearts.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of doubt and put it down to rustiness, which he can shake off. However, I can also believe it's possible he's pished or past his sell-by. 

However, time will tell and we should give him that chance. By the end of the year we'll have played 8 games with half of them competitive. By that point we'll know. And if he's not up to the task we should hit the ejector button with still a full crack at the Euros to come. 

Sounds sensible. 

My only concern would be if he does make an arse of the Nations League it will cost a few bob to sack him and we will be back to square one with only 4 months until the qualifiers start. 

Let’s just hope we romp our Nations League group. 

Edited by Texas Pete

11 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Sounds sensible. 

My only concern would be if he does make an arse of the Nations League it will cost a few bob to sack him and we will be back to square one with only 4 months until the qualifiers start. 

Let’s just hope we romp our Nations League group. 

Hmm not sure about that as he is only on a two year contract so by that time (if a Nations League balls-up happens) there will be about a year (maybe less) left on the contract. Not too much compensation to be paid for that, surely?

15 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Hmm not sure about that as he is only on a two year contract so by that time (if a Nations League balls-up happens) there will be about a year (maybe less) left on the contract. Not too much compensation to be paid for that, surely?

Depends how much he’s on I suppose. At least £300k I would guess so it would be the guts of half a million to punt him with a year and a bit on his contract. 

It’s more the fact that the qualifiers wold be starting a few months later and we had no manager that would worry me though. 

Still, what’s the point in worrying about hypothetical situations?

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Depends how much he’s on I suppose. At least £300k I would guess so it would be the guts of half a million to punt him with a year and a bit on his contract. 

It’s more the fact that the qualifiers wold be starting a few months later and we had no manager that would worry me though. 

Still, what’s the point in worrying about hypothetical situations?

Yes and no way could I see them sacking him on the back of four competitive matches - no matter how poor the results were.