Baths - Hungary v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Baths

irnbruman

4 minutes ago, irnbruman said:

Ive been to Szechenyi and Rudas baths before. Both fantastic in different ways. Going to try the Gellert  baths this time. Anyone been to any of others ?

Don't know about the baths as it's not my thing but Gellert Hill is a great place to spend afternoon wandering. Some great views looking over to the Pest side of the city

1 hour ago, irnbruman said:

Ive been to Szechenyi and Rudas baths before. Both fantastic in different ways. Going to try the Gellert  baths this time. Anyone been to any of others ?

Yes. I've been to Szechenyi, Gellert, Rudas, Veli bej, Dandar, Kiraly, and Lukacs.

Not really a fan of Szechenyi or Gellert - they're too crowded and expensive in comparison to the others

On 16/02/2018 at 4:20 PM, wubbs said:

Yes. I've been to Szechenyi, Gellert, Rudas, Veli bej, Dandar, Kiraly, and Lukacs.

Not really a fan of Szechenyi or Gellert - they're too crowded and expensive in comparison to the others

Went to Szechenyi a few years back and enjoyed it, although I guess it was reasonably crowded. We were going to try Gellert this time as we’re just across the bridge from it. 

Which would you recommend? 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 7:50 PM, McToot said:

Went to Szechenyi a few years back and enjoyed it, although I guess it was reasonably crowded. We were going to try Gellert this time as we’re just across the bridge from it. 

Szechenyi baths has had quite a makeover in recent years, although it costs a few quid more than it used to. But there's plenty there to keep you occupied for several hours now.

Haven't tried it but if anyone is there on the Saturday night they turn it into a nightclub from 10:30pm to 3am!

http://szechenyispabaths.com/sparties/

I've been to the Gellert baths a few times. The swimming pool bit is nice, but the thermal section was split into male and female areas which wasn't the best (this was 15 years ago mind you).

I remember going to the Lukacs baths too, it was much cheaper but not as well set up for non-locals. 

Outside of summer when the outdoor strands open up I'd recommend Szechenyi as being the best experience.

On 17/02/2018 at 8:50 PM, McToot said:

I prefer Kiraly (for architecture) or Dandar (so quiet).

I eventually finished a blog post on Budapest baths, which I think is a reasonable overview

http://www.greengoulash.com/thermal-spa-budapest/