Celtic vs Zenit... - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Celtic vs Zenit...

On 2/17/2018 at 1:50 AM, Huddersfield said:

I think it boils down to what you want to do with your accent.

That would depend on your age, also.

I was 8, and therefore had an 8 year old's vocabulary.

Any new words that I learned came out 'Canadian'.

No thought (or importance) was put into trying to keep my accent either as I wasn't aware of the change.

Environment plays a big part as well.

Back in Scotland, it becomes a bad mix to the point where I have to concentrate on my present accent (which at least sounds 'natural').

I lived in Canada for 2 separate years and picked up.a few words and slight accent for certain stuff. More.so as I had to adjust for folk to understand but once I came back I more or less reverted to normal, same when I met Scottish folk over there.

1 hour ago, Kirk said:

I lived in Canada for 2 separate years and picked up.a few words and slight accent for certain stuff. More.so as I had to adjust for folk to understand but once I came back I more or less reverted to normal, same when I met Scottish folk over there.

Over 4 years here now. Not a single word I’ve changed. My mates listen for it when I fly back as they are desperate to hear a Yankism to rip the pish but nothing. You will only lose your accent if you choose to. Like cunts like Gerard Butler.

Edited by Ormond

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

Over 4 years here now. Not a single word I’ve changed. My mates listen for it when I fly back as they are desperate to hear a Yankism to rip the pish but nothing. You will only lose your accent if you choose to. Like cunts like Gerard Butler.

As Scotty says, and I suggested overleaf, it's different for kids (although I reckon some adults are more susceptible to change than others). Whatever the basis for the incredible linguistic acquisition that children possess, it fades on the way to adulthood, and picking up accents is no different.

Just now, DonnyTJS said:

As Scotty says, and I suggested overleaf, it's different for kids (although I reckon some adults are more susceptible to change than others). Whatever the basis for the incredible linguistic acquisition that children possess, it fades on the way to adulthood, and picking up accents is no different.

I’d agree with that for sure. 

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

Aye but you should see the way you dress! 

5 hours ago, Ormond said:

I’ve lived in the south east for two years now, sometimes the odd word slips in to comversation when I’m home. It’s because I have to “speak posh” to clients, then again I had to speak posh in Aberdeen and that was only 40 miles south of Fraserburgh. If I spoke in my usual dialect, people down here would look at me is if I had two heads.

6 hours ago, Ormond said:

Maybe you should start talking American and I would have a chance of understanding you rather than the teuchter accent :D

Back to topic. I just read the Zenit players were nervous and intimidated by the noise inside Celtic Park..Good..Their defeat not sitting well with the russian media. Training hard in Rome at the moment. Is it no brass monkeys in Russia at the moment? Should be a very entertaining 2nd leg. Celtic better no sit back wae that defense of theirs. COYBIG..

6 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Maybe you should start talking American and I would have a chance of understanding you rather than the teuchter accent :D

You Weegies(anything SW of Stirling) love listening to us as it makes you feel intrinsically Scottish. :D

8 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

See Broony walking about in the shirt in -11 weather. Legend. Leading by example. Fuckin love Broony 

Tube more like.

Fair enough doing it when he's playing/training (Tierney does likewise) but at least KT had the sense to wrap up when walking about in -11.

He'll be loving folk wanking all over him on Twitter etc though.

Brown and Kouassie have to be extremely disciplined tonight if we stand any chance and I mean more positionally disciplined than anything else. If they two can do that, read the game, break it up, win free kicks and use the ball intelligently then we'll have a real chance.

Forrest has also got to provide cover for Lustig because if he gets isolated we'll get ripped to shreds. 

Fancy Celtic to do the business tonight either 1-2 or 1-1. Sure hope so! 

I've never been to a Russian game, but the media pap out the ''intimating atmosphere'' stuff for CSKA, Lokomotiv etc in the Champions League and it just looked quite timid (from the safety of a TV far away, of course) 25% full, and some whistle sounds.

The accent talk in the thread is quite fascinating. I imagine if you move to Canada, USA you probably have to start using words like movie, soda etc for a juice. 

And the teuchter line! Where is it? My weegie family call me a Teuchter and I'm from outside Dundee. Is it basically north of Stirling for the west coasters?

1 hour ago, weekevie04 said:

Fancy Celtic to do the business tonight either 1-2 or 1-1. Sure hope so! 

I've never been to a Russian game, but the media pap out the ''intimating atmosphere'' stuff for CSKA, Lokomotiv etc in the Champions League and it just looked quite timid (from the safety of a TV far away, of course) 25% full, and some whistle sounds.

The accent talk in the thread is quite fascinating. I imagine if you move to Canada, USA you probably have to start using words like movie, soda etc for a juice. 

And the teuchter line! Where is it? My weegie family call me a Teuchter and I'm from outside Dundee. Is it basically north of Stirling for the west coasters?

Anything that isn't Renfrewshire or Lanarkshire

1 hour ago, weekevie04 said:

Perth folk would say North of Stirling. Weegies would say what Squirrelhumper has said. Dandydunn would tell you anything South of Inverbervie. :-))

Celtic are unchanged from the first leg. Would be great if they can get through tonight, especially from the perspective of Scottish football as a whole - as it would be the first time since 2011 that a Scottish side would've won a knockout round tie (Rangers vs Sporting Lisbon). Celtic haven't won a knockout tie since 2004 (vs Barcelona); it would give a huge confidence to Scottish football that we can have sides doing fairly well in Europe, despite the gap between the SPFL and the biggest leagues growing.