U17s beat Spain and Poland - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

U17s beat Spain and Poland

er yir macaroon

On 17/02/2018 at 8:12 AM, Bino's said:

We often win at these kind of levels

Usually it's as the coaches have brought through the biggest in their age group players rather than better potential technical players

So they can physically overpower the opponent's

This is absolute nonsense, the national team youth set up to 19’s level is a technical structure favouring a possession based game against weaker opponents and a counter-attacking transition game against the stronger sides.

the biggest gap with the top nations at that level is a physical one, they are (almost without exception) far more physically developed which is a completely different issue from recruiting tall or big players to start off with.

We’re successful at these levels because we can produce elite technical players up to 19s level and we can’t compete after the 19s age group because it’s the bottleneck of the system that’s our issue, in giving young players first team football at an early age and ultimately giving them the right quality of challenge.

I don’t know what the solution to this issue is but I genuinely believe that things are getting better every year and I’m seeing good progress.

1 hour ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Just read supposedly the reason Dembele pulled out of the u16's was because he didn't want to upset the English by playing against them.

Yeah the story makes out he just didn’t want to play against England for Scotland. 

But he could have played our two previous U16 games without upsetting them. He didn’t need to represent England at under 15 level in what seemed to be a B game. 

Hopefully he changes his mind in the next couple of years because he seems the real deal. 

Ive got a feeling he’ll move to England when he’s 16 though and we’ll have less of a chance to persuade him to play for the country that brought him up. Hoping some of the senior Scottish Celtic boys can help influence him to stay up here and represent us.

2 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Ive got a feeling he’ll move to England when he’s 16 though and we’ll have less of a chance to persuade him to play for the country that brought him up. Hoping some of the senior Scottish Celtic boys can help influence him to stay up here and represent us.

Hard job when they can’t convince theirselves they want to play for us. ;)

32 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Hard job when they can’t convince theirselves they want to play for us. ;)

You’re right...maybe our manager who’d rather be managing Birmingham City can convince him instead. 

Noticed he’s got a big brother (eligible for us) who’s 21 playing for Grimsby. Winger who’s scored 4 and assisted 3 this season and apparently had Crystal Palace scouts watching him. Don’t see why he wouldn’t merit an under 21 call up for our next qualifying games. Maybe he can do the convincing!

• 4 weeks later...

The U17s were on the same flight as me today to Athens where they play Greece, Norway and someone else. I think its qualifying for the Euros. 

Fair play to them, all dressed up in the Scotland tracksuits and the coaches all decked out in shirts and ties. 

McLaughlin stood out, but I couldn't name any of the other staff. Steve Hamill perhaps? 

Anyway, they were a credit to the nation, all well behaved and respectful. 

One of the older coaches told me they were a good bunch of players, and the future looked good, however they were missing Dean Campbell from Aberdeen due to injury.  

On 21/02/2018 at 12:17 AM, Super_Scotlandfan said:

You’re right...maybe our manager who’d rather be managing Birmingham City can convince him instead. 

Noticed he’s got a big brother (eligible for us) who’s 21 playing for Grimsby. Winger who’s scored 4 and assisted 3 this season and apparently had Crystal Palace scouts watching him. Don’t see why he wouldn’t merit an under 21 call up for our next qualifying games. Maybe he can do the convincing!

Didn't know about his brother - he looks a tidy player.

16 hours ago, Dairbee said:

The U17s were on the same flight as me today to Athens where they play Greece, Norway and someone else. I think its qualifying for the Euros. 

Fair play to them, all dressed up in the Scotland tracksuits and the coaches all decked out in shirts and ties. 

McLaughlin stood out, but I couldn't name any of the other staff. Steve Hamill perhaps? 

Anyway, they were a credit to the nation, all well behaved and respectful. 

One of the older coaches told me they were a good bunch of players, and the future looked good, however they were missing Dean Campbell from Aberdeen due to injury.  

Just wait for the return flight headlines: "Booze and burger fueled flight from hell!!!"