High ceilings WTF - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

High ceilings WTF

Just changed some light bulbs in an Edinburgh 'townhouse/ flat/ tenement (for the weegies). Why are the ceilings so high? 'kin m3 of empty space doin nothing, teetering on the top of tall steps just to change a light bulb. Come the revolution, they're going.

Surely some scumbag landlord has sussed if you lower the ceilings you could squeeze in another floor to fleece some more mugs.

Before anyone says it 'historic my arse' dump.

Edited by Eisegerwind

In the old days, before electricity was common, high ceilings allowed bigger windows - let more light in

Higher ceilings also improve air flow - again before electricity you didnt have fans or air conditioning

Lastly - big houses and high ceilings are intimidating so it was a social thing and psychologically good

They also didnt have google back then either

Yes, well googled.aircon was never a big deal here.

I'm guessing the psychological thing was the main deal. Peasants liiving in their low build hovels with their animals and the gentry in the high build mansions with their servants. Another reason for levelling these ancient un-green dwellings that are basically cash cows for landlords.

2 hours ago, Eisegerwind said:

Just changed some light bulbs in an Edinburgh 'townhouse/ flat/ tenement (for the weegies). Why are the ceilings so high? 'kin m3 of empty space doin nothing, teetering on the top of tall steps just to change a light bulb. Come the revolution, they're going.

Surely some scumbag landlord has sussed if you lower the ceilings you could squeeze in another floor to fleece some more mugs.

As a regular visitor to Budapest the ceilings in the old flats there are ridiculously high. Kept it cooler in the summer supposedly. What you do get now are loads of flats on AirBnB with alleged extra bedrooms, which are actually just mezzanine platforms in the lounge with a bed stuck on top.

If the ceilings were always that high with large windows, building warrants won’t allow them to be lowered so they keep in with the other houses outside. 

I wired houses about 10 years that were from an old hospital and some of the ceilings were 4-5 m high. 

13 hours ago, Toepoke said:

As a regular visitor to Budapest the ceilings in the old flats there are ridiculously high. Kept it cooler in the summer supposedly. What you do get now are loads of flats on AirBnB with alleged extra bedrooms, which are actually just mezzanine platforms in the lounge with a bed stuck on top.

The flat we rented in Budapest had the highest ceilings of any residential property I have been in. I had a picture taken against a wall and looked like a midget. The place was a dump, electric cables running across every floor and above the shower in the bathroom. Budapest on the other hand was fantastic.

If I had loads of money I would live in a house with high ceilings, I love them. We have lived in  a few but you need a large wallet to heat them in our scottish climate,   in the end we just got fed up being cold and literally burning money. 

38 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

The flat we rented in Budapest had the highest ceilings of any residential property I have been in. I had a picture taken against a wall and looked like a midget. The place was a dump, electric cables running across every floor and above the shower in the bathroom. Budapest on the other hand was fantastic.

If I had loads of money I would live in a house with high ceilings, I love them. We have lived in  a few but you need a large wallet to heat them in our scottish climate,   in the end we just got fed up being cold and literally burning money. 

No wonder if you keep using it as fuel.

I’ve worked in a lot of old properties that had high ceilings and Ally is correct about the light coming in through large windows. But, what is also interesting is that I’ve had to paint external dummy windows on a lot of old buildings. Just paint straight onto brickwork what would look like a window from afar. Reason being that years ago there was a window tax where you paid the authority money per window. The shite would live on the low dark levels and the upper class above with the expensive daylight coming in the home. People would obviously paint fake windows onto the brick to make it appear nicer without paying the tax.