New manager: Who do you want? - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

New manager: Who do you want?

PASTA Mick

New Manager: Who do you want?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to be appointed?

• Alex McLeish
    • Alex Neil
    • Malky MacKay
    • Scot Gemmill
    • Steve Clark
    • Walter Smith
    • Gary Caldwell
    • Derek McInnes
    • Neil Lennon
    • Alan Stubbs
    • Paul Lambert
    • Slaven Bilić
    • Billy Davies
    • David Moyes
    • Gordon Strachan
    • Graham Alexander
    • John Hughes
    • John Collins
    • Other

6 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Disappointing but as someone else rightly said (and I did) that if they truly want the job they'll get off their arse and fill out an application form. Those that haven't obviously do not truly want the job for one reason or another. If these quotes are accurate from Clarke then that is another one you can chalk off the list.

He was interviewed, there's a video off it on Twitter 

12 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Disappointing but as someone else rightly said (and I did) that if they truly want the job they'll get off their arse and fill out an application form. Those that haven't obviously do not truly want the job for one reason or another. If these quotes are accurate from Clarke then that is another one you can chalk off the list.

I agree to an extent but football is a bit different from the normal job market. 

If Clarke is happy at Killie, why would he even be looking for another job?

Unfortunately, the Scotland job isn’t as coveted as it once was and approaching people might be the only way to get the right man. 

Football managers who are in a job are unlikely to go whoring themselves for another position.

Just now, Texas Pete said:

I agree to an extent but football is a bit different from the normal job market. 

If Clarke is happy at Killie, why would he even be looking for another job?

Unfortunately, the Scotland job isn’t as coveted as it once was and approaching people might be the only way to get the right man. 

Football managers who are in a job are unlikely to go whoring themselves for another position.

Not sure but last week I am sure the SFA did say they were accepting applicants so that sysytem is in place. If, for whatever reason, managers do not apply it is for varying reasons but at that moment in time they are not interested. That would apply, it would seem clear, to Clarke so he can be scrubbed out as the next Scotland manager. I do realize the Scotland job is no lobger a coveted job and probably pays a heck of a lot less than league management does but call me an old romantic but I'd like to think the prestige and honour would overwash the pay.

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Not sure but last week I am sure the SFA did say they were accepting applicants so that sysytem is in place. If, for whatever reason, managers do not apply it is for varying reasons but at that moment in time they are not interested. That would apply, it would seem clear, to Clarke so he can be scrubbed out as the next Scotland manager. I do realize the Scotland job is no lobger a coveted job and probably pays a heck of a lot less than league management does but call me an old romantic but I'd like to think the prestige and honour would overwash the pay.

For some people it might but for the majority of employed managers it won’t. Talking to another prospective employer without their current employer’s permission would probably be breach of contract as well.

The vast majority of people who apply for the Scotland job will not be in a job at the moment.

Making approaches to a target’s employer to ask permission to talk to them seems to the way it’s done.

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

When I look at the list of candidates I feel absolutely nothing. The ones I do feel could possibly do something are highly unlikely to want or get the job. I will however support whoever gets it in the hope, once again, that we will actually so something this time.   

This is the first time I have not renewed my membership within a few days of the announcement, I am a bit scunnered with it all.  I do not like to bring politics into the subject as I think sport and politics should be kept firmly apart, but between the football and the political situation I feel that as a nation we are always going to settle for being the bridesmaid and never the bride. Infact sometimes the fckin wedding guest. Evening only. 

I am away to listen to Morrissey to cheer myself up 🙂

The whole situation is a shambles and the SFA is in disarray but it’s hardly a surprise. 

It’s a weird situation though because I’m pretty optimistic about the next campaign. 

We have a brilliant chance of making the playoffs against a similarly ranked team before the qualifiers even start. 

Any manager who’s not a complete idiot should have a good chance of getting us to the playoffs. 

54 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

The whole situation is a shambles and the SFA is in disarray but it’s hardly a surprise. 

It’s a weird situation though because I’m pretty optimistic about the next campaign. 

We have a brilliant chance of making the playoffs against a similarly ranked team before the qualifiers even start. 

Any manager who’s not a complete idiot should have a good chance of getting us to the playoffs. 

I hope you are right. I am away to Morrisons to buy a bottle of your optimism 😊 

23 hours ago, Bino's said:

I think we should go for Scot Gemmil

appointing a recently retired player and letting him come through the under 19's, u21's and into full squad is how the Croatians have done it sometimes and can work well

working with the youth you've brought right through yourself

it would be a new approach for us than the aged manager at the end of his career

I’m not sure if Levein, Burley and Strachan could be described as aged or at the end of their careers. 

George Burley was 51 when he took the job, Levein was 44 and Strachan was 56 or 57. 

Scot Gemmil is 47.