New manager: Who do you want? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

New manager: Who do you want?

PASTA Mick

New Manager: Who do you want?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to be appointed?

• Alex McLeish
    • Alex Neil
    • Malky MacKay
    • Scot Gemmill
    • Steve Clark
    • Walter Smith
    • Gary Caldwell
    • Derek McInnes
    • Neil Lennon
    • Alan Stubbs
    • Paul Lambert
    • Slaven Bilić
    • Billy Davies
    • David Moyes
    • Gordon Strachan
    • Graham Alexander
    • John Hughes
    • John Collins
    • Other

5 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I bet many said the same about brown or Roxburgh at the time. 

Nowadays there’s an obsession with having a name or a previous successful manager. Perhaps one of those I mentioned could end up becoming a better international manager than they were a club manager, perhaps gemmill making the step up is the right choice. 

Granted but they were far different times. We were a country that was still confident of qualification with a better pool of players to pick from. Expectations and confidence was on a different level to what it is now after two decades of not qualifying for a major tournament.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Granted but they were far different times. We were a country that was still confident of qualification with a better pool of players to pick from. Expectations and confidence was on a different level to what it is now after two decades of not qualifying for a major tournament.

So what do you suggest? You seem to be fantastic at picking holes in other opinions without offering anything of your own.

Just now, vanderark14 said:

So what do you suggest? You seem to be fantastic at picking holes in other opinions without offering anything of your own.

I'd have looked overseas to Prandelli or such-like. Of the more realistic options then I'd go for Clarke or McInnes but I wouldn't be overly confident for the future. Mentally deflated is how I feel about the whole situation. Things may change once a new manager is in place but right now my outlook for the future as things stand is poor.

17 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I bet many said the same about brown or Roxburgh at the time. 

Nowadays there’s an obsession with having a name or a previous successful manager. Perhaps one of those I mentioned could end up becoming a better international manager than they were a club manager, perhaps gemmill making the step up is the right choice. 

It's not an obsession, it's common sense. It is too important a job to give to someone with no real experience or proven record. 

We tend to do better with managers that have experience of managing clubs that have played in the Champions League. It's not much better but I think most people would agree with Smith, McLeish and Strachan all did better than Burnley and Levein. 

7 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

It's not an obsession, it's common sense. It is too important a job to give to someone with no real experience or proven record. 

We tend to do better with managers that have experience of managing clubs that have played in the Champions League. It's not much better but I think most people would agree with Smith, McLeish and Strachan all did better than Burnley and Levein. 

Meant to quote you

whos the experienced manager who’s available and will take the job?

smith and McLeish wers successful at one club and we know why that was, strachan had one successful period, again because of the same reasons. None of the above got us to a finals.

4 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

, who’s the experienced successful manager available who will take the job?

I can't answer that question. I've no idea who has actually put their name forward or if the SFA have been accepted applications. 

You mentioned Moyes and Lambert, they were available when Strachan left. Although neither have a huge amount of success, the pathetic pursuit of O'Neil meant they were in work by the time we could have talked to them. 

I'm not saying there is an obvious choice but with any position you fill, you want the person that has the most experience and wants to help you achieve your targets in the budget you can afford. 

Just now, PASTA Mick said:

I can't answer that question. I've no idea who has actually put their name forward or if the SFA have been accepted applications. 

You mentioned Moyes and Lambert, they were available when Strachan left. Although neither have a huge amount of success, the pathetic pursuit of O'Neil meant they were in work by the time we could have talked to them. 

I'm not saying there is an obvious choice but with any position you fill, you want the person that has the most experience and wants to help you achieve your targets in the budget you can afford. 

I slightly disagree, ideally you want yhe most experienced and successful candidate but we aren’t exactly in a position to attract that so IMO we should look for someone hungry, motivated and looking to enhance their reputation. 

Its a bit hit and hope but if the experienced candidates it’s a massive no thank you from me.

1 minute ago, PASTA Mick said:

None of those 3 even made the playoffs though. 

Burley had about 18 years management  experience before he became Scotland manager and still wasn’t very good for us. Ok, so he hadn’t managed in the Champions League but I’m not sure what the experience of getting pumped in the CL most games did for McLeish and Strachan.

Michael O’Neil didn’t have any experience managing at the top level and people now see him as an excellent international manager.

The way I see it is some people are suited to international management and some are not. It should be up to the SFA to identify, through a rigorous selection process, who would be likely to do a good job. Experience would be considered of course but attitude and vision should be just as important.

Klinsmann, Coleman, O’Neill etc. didn’t exactly have tons of club management experience before having success at international level.

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Burley had about 18 years management  experience before he became Scotland manager and still wasn’t very good for us. Ok, so he hadn’t managed in the Champions League but I’m not sure what the experience of getting pumped in the CL most games did for McLeish and Strachan.

Michael O’Neil didn’t have any experience managing at the top level and people now see him as an excellent international manager.

The way I see it is some people are suited to international management and some are not. It should be up to the SFA to identify, through a rigorous selection process, who would be likely to do a good job. Experience would be considered of course but attitude and vision should be just as important.

Klinsmann, Coleman, O’Neill etc. didn’t exactly have tons of club management experience before having success at international level.

Absolutely spot on sir. Have a cyber pint on me

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Sensible post and I agree with much of that.

A great club manager with buckets of experience doesn't always translate into a successful/competent international manager. And at present (as far as we know) we have no experienced managers who fit the bill waiting in the wings. Therefore we either go foreign or we look for a lesser experienced but on the up manager.

22 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Despite the differences of opinion on the potential manager,  its depressing not one person has chosen the most likely candidate 😕 

Nobody wants him and I can see why but I reckon he might do OK. We could do with some of the luck he had in Paris. 

If we do end up with McLeish and we qualify for Euro 2020 people will be saying they wanted him all along and will be treating him like a ginger god. 

30 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Sensible post and I agree with much of that.

A great club manager with buckets of experience doesn't always translate into a successful/competent international manager. And at present (as far as we know) we have no experienced managers who fit the bill waiting in the wings. Therefore we either go foreign or we look for a lesser experienced but on the up manager.

Doesn’t sound like many foreigners are being considered but it’s hard to tell. Especially since we don’t have a chief executive at the moment. 

I don’t think anyone with real standing in the game could have applied or they would probably be in position by now. Unless the SFA were so blinkered by Michael O’Neill that they have made an arse of themselves by rejecting someone good. 

Who knows?

2 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Mourinho wouldn't have a cheque book for he Scotland job though!

Didn't have one at Porto either. But as previously mentioned it would be a waste of time talking about him.

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

Doesn’t sound like many foreigners are being considered but it’s hard to tell. Especially since we don’t have a chief executive at the moment. 

I don’t think anyone with real standing in the game could have applied or they would probably be in position by now. Unless the SFA were so blinkered by Michael O’Neill that they have made an arse of themselves by rejecting someone good. 

Who knows?

Apparently Felix Magath had thrown his hat in the ring. He would have to be seriously considered if true.

2 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

Apparently Felix Magath had thrown his hat in the ring. He would have to be seriously considered if true.

I read that a couple of weeks ago. 

Might be a decent shout but look what happened the last time an eccentric German took the job.