Angus Robertson Quits as SNP Deputy Leader - Politics - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Angus Robertson Quits as SNP Deputy Leader

Caledonian Craig

Would've been difficult for him to continue in place without an elected position.   I guess they probably gave it six months to see if a by-election for either Holyrood of Westminster came up. 

Tommy Sheppard for me. 

His resignation letter seems to suggest that he was seen as an ideal foil for sturgeon due to being an MP rather than MSP and representing a rural constituency compared to her urban one.

on that basis you can see Blackford being pushed for it.

A sad loss

To think folk in Moray replaced him with a complete roaster and trusted Tories

If he does come back and stand i hope it's not in Moray - they dont deserve him

Angus has always been a tremendous and very thoughtful speaker. And he 100% steered the SNP onto a firm committed internationalist position. Hope he makes a comeback in Holyrood where he would be a strong contender for next First Minister at some point.

Meanwhile either my old student politics colleague Tommy Sheppard for new deputy or else the young superstar herself, Mhairi Black.

He really was a strong character and knew exactly how to rile the government in many a  prime minister question times. He was like a dog with a bone. Hopefully, we will see him make a return soon but reading that resignation it doesn't sound like he has any plans to stand for election again. I think Mhairi Black would do a damned good job.

There's more to being involved in the leadership than public persona, being a firebrand etc so I think it's a bit too early for Mhairi Black. The deputy has to play a part in shaping the direction of the party behind the scenes, working on campaign strategy etc while Sturgeon gets on with running the country.

That's the reason I think it'll be almost impossible to replace Robertson with someone of similar quality if you look through the current crop of MPs and MSPs. I could be wrong, and to be fair I don't know enough about all of them, but I don't see anyone there who can step in and do the same job as well as Robertson did.

Blackford has said he doesn't want to be considered.  James Dornan so far is the only person to throw his hat into the ring.  Tommy Sheppard seems to gathering a lot of support and is reported to be seriously considering another bid. 

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Blackford has said he doesn't want to be considered.  James Dornan so far is the only person to throw his hat into the ring.  Tommy Sheppard seems to gathering a lot of support and is reported to be seriously considering another bid. 

More Sheppard and less Blackford and especially Dornan would be a good thing

1 hour ago, aaid said:

The last deputy leader contest I was split between Robertson and Sheppard. I opted for Robertson due to his position at Westminster and high profile in the party. However I  emailed him to say he was getting my vote but that I was impressed with Sheppards ideas and that I hoped he would be taking these on board. 

Sheppard will get my vote this time if he puts himself forward.