Red wine and Skiing - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Red wine and Skiing

1 hour ago, SMcoolJ said:

I've skied all my life and still love it.  I'm in my 40's now so beginning to notice that I'm not as care free (kamikaze) on the slopes as I used to be.  However, 54 is no age at all to start skiing.  I would actually suggest that the indoor/artificial type places are more likely to put you off rather than encourage you.  They tend to be more difficult than skiing on the real thing and without the promise of fantastically fattening food and copious amounts of booze at the end of the day.  You can book a pretty cheap deal from Glasgow or Edinburgh to Geneva.  That way, you can be on nursery slopes in an hour and get expert tuition all while getting a suntan and having a great time in the evening.  If you don't like it - you're still having a holiday!

:ok::ok:

On 01/02/2018 at 7:37 PM, TDYER63 said:

There are  2 subjects I have questions on and rather than clutter the board with 2 uninteresting threads I thought I would combine them.

My first question is about skiing. I was going to put it in the ‘other sports’  section but folk might think I know about skiing when infact I know fook all. 

I am thinking of taking some skiing lessons and was wondering if there are any skiiers out there that could advise me on whether or not I am too old. Are you too old to take up skiing at 54? I tried waterskiing a few years ago and could not  get myself out the water.

My second question is about red wine. 

As the news broke earlier about Stewart Regan I thought I would celebrate tonight  with some red wine. Now, I can do this as I am at home, but never ever can I drink red wine in public as my teeth go red and I also get dracula type lines just above my lips.    

Does anyone else have this problem and how do they overcome it ? I know I originate from Paisley and talk about gloopy jobby smoothies but I draw the line at drinking wine through a straw.  Unless of course I have broken my arms learning to ski 😬

Any advice on either subject would be much appreciated. 

The red wine stains clash wi yer hair tae.

Re skiing. I'm going cross country for the first time next week. I'm a youthful 41 so will report back on my success, or otherwise.

On 02/02/2018 at 3:10 PM, TDYER63 said:

I will.

I am getting a bit fed up with the usual sun / sand holidays and thought skiing might open up an alternative.  My husband is quite active for his age, he still plays 5 asides, so I think he would like this too.

There is a young guy at work who learned to ski a couple of years ago . Him and his wife go to somwehere on the France/Swiss border. He got an early flight last Friday and came back on the Sunday, he said it was great. 

The apres ski is always there if I fail miserably 😊

Good for you! Think you'll love it.

Skiing + 1 for give it a go,  you don't have to be super fit or even fit.  You will have years of skiing ahead of you.

If you can do it a weeks holiday is the way to learn as you really progress doing it everyday.  As above private lessons will bring you on faster sometimes abroad private lessons are the same price for one or two people.

I dragged my wife into skiing over the last few years and she really enjoys it,  doing a bit of skiing and then sitting in a mountain restaurant having a coffee (or red wine).

Winter olympics starts at the weekend just to get you in the mood....

On 05/02/2018 at 10:09 AM, SMcoolJ said:

I've skied all my life and still love it.  I'm in my 40's now so beginning to notice that I'm not as care free (kamikaze) on the slopes as I used to be.  However, 54 is no age at all to start skiing.  I would actually suggest that the indoor/artificial type places are more likely to put you off rather than encourage you.  They tend to be more difficult than skiing on the real thing and without the promise of fantastically fattening food and copious amounts of booze at the end of the day.  You can book a pretty cheap deal from Glasgow or Edinburgh to Geneva.  That way, you can be on nursery slopes in an hour and get expert tuition all while getting a suntan and having a great time in the evening.  If you don't like it - you're still having a holiday!

Seems to be a common agreement here that the artificial places arent a substitute for the real thing  . Think I will take a couple of lessons indoor just to make sure I like the idea of it and if so will go to a proper outdoor resort to unleash anarchy . The teachers will have their work cut out for them for sure 🙂

On 05/02/2018 at 1:17 PM, Fanjita said:

The red wine stains clash wi yer hair tae.

Re skiing. I'm going cross country for the first time next week. I'm a youthful 41 so will report back on my success, or otherwise.

😀 they clash with my eyes too, especially this morning sitting at glasgow airport from 6.15 for a delayed flight to east mids 🙁

Look forward to hearing how you get on 👍

15 hours ago, McFootSoldier said:

Skiing + 1 for give it a go,  you don't have to be super fit or even fit.  You will have years of skiing ahead of you.

If you can do it a weeks holiday is the way to learn as you really progress doing it everyday.  As above private lessons will bring you on faster sometimes abroad private lessons are the same price for one or two people.

I dragged my wife into skiing over the last few years and she really enjoys it,  doing a bit of skiing and then sitting in a mountain restaurant having a coffee (or red wine).

Winter olympics starts at the weekend just to get you in the mood....

It is helpful to know that you dont have to be super fit. I am not entirely unfit but nowhere near what you would class as fit in terms of regular exercise. I have a bit of a problem with my right hip which is probably my main concern , there is no medically diagnosed problem , its just permanently sore and more of a posture issue I think . The skiing will either kill me or cure it 😀

Thanks. 

On 02/02/2018 at 10:39 AM, TDYER63 said:

Intu is only 15 mins away. Would you recomnend this over the dry ski slopes and do you think it is better to get one -to -one lessons rather than group? 

How fit do you need to be? I am not overweight but I dont do much excercise. The occasional pilates class. 

Dry slope will be cheaper for lessons and I'd you can manage on that you can ski on snow no bother. I got my gf 4 private lessons at Bella for about 95 quid I think a couple of years ago well worth it. If you're reasonably fit you'll be find

On 09/02/2018 at 9:58 AM, Kirk said:

Dry slope will be cheaper for lessons and I'd you can manage on that you can ski on snow no bother. I got my gf 4 private lessons at Bella for about 95 quid I think a couple of years ago well worth it. If you're reasonably fit you'll be find

In life , I prefer to go down the easiest path first, not the ‘’ fook it, lets just do it the hard way and if I can do that I can do anything’’ path 😬

On 10/02/2018 at 4:46 PM, TDYER63 said:

In life , I prefer to go down the easiest path first, not the ‘’ fook it, lets just do it the hard way and if I can do that I can do anything’’ path 😬

Haha it's not much different to be fair but learning on snow would probably benefit you more if money isn't an issue.

• 2 months later...

Hooray ! I’m a skier ! ⛷⛷⛷⛷⛷⛷⛷⛷⛷⛷⛷⛷⛷⛷⛷

Well, to be more accurate, I have had one lesson and didnae kill myself.

I loved it. And I loved it even more that  Mr Tidier was pure sheite 😬 It is the first time ever I  have picked a sport  up quicker than him.

Nobody told me though that I would need to trudge up the snow on skis sideaways  for 2 hours,  it was exhausting. Particularly when, unbeknown to me at the time, I was handicapped.

The snow boot on my left leg was so tight the whole lesson , it was agony , digging into the back of my calf, but I kept going. When I took the boot off at the end of the lesson my leg was throbbing,  I couldnt walk properly, I had to limp all the way to the car. When I got to my mums afterwards it was still killing me . I touched  the back of my calf and found a big lump but it didnt feel part of my leg. I tried to get  my hand up the leg of my jeans but  they were too tight so I asked my sistet to help. She stuck her hand up and pulled out a  pair of knickers 😳 They  were rolled up into a ball, they must have got stuck in the leg of my jeans and were pressing into my calf 😢 I still cant walj properly and that was on Sunday. 

Anyway thanks everyone for encouraging me to go, I really enjoyed it and have booked  up for another lesson👍   

7 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I loved it. And I loved it even more that  Mr Tidier was pure sheite 😬 It is the first time ever I  have picked a sport  up quicker than him.

Nobody told me though that I would need to trudge up the snow on skis sideaways  for 2 hours,  it was exhausting. Particularly when, unbeknown to me at the time, I was handicapped.

The snow boot on my left leg was so tight the whole lesson , it was agony , digging into the back of my calf, but I kept going. When I took the boot off at the end of the lesson my leg was throbbing,  I couldnt walk properly, I had to limp all the way to the car. When I got to my mums afterwards it was still killing me . I touched  the back of my calf and found a big lump but it didnt feel part of my leg. I tried to get  my hand up the leg of my jeans but  they were too tight so I asked my sistet to help. She stuck her hand up and pulled out a  pair of knickers 😳 They  were rolled up into a ball, they must have got stuck in the leg of my jeans and were pressing into my calf 😢 I still cant walj properly and that was on Sunday. 

Anyway thanks everyone for encouraging me to go, I really enjoyed it and have booked  up for another lesson👍   

FFS you get mair mental the older you get.

See you on Saturday for Saints title party x

On 02/02/2018 at 12:47 PM, TDYER63 said:

😂😂

You are closer to the truth than you know.

A few years ago I went tobogganing at Braehead with my family, it was mainly for my young niece who was about 3 or 4.

My sister in law slid down quite easily with my niece on her lap. I was on my own toboggan . It was just a wee plastic mat.

Well, I just couldnae control it. I was all over the place. I was flying past everyone else and I could not stop at the bottom. I knocked over the bollard type things 3 times and took a wee boy right off his feet when I crashed into him just as he was getting up . I got 2 warnings from the staff and was told I would be sent off if I couldnt learn to stop. 

It was the best fun I had in ages, my husband and brother were watching from the bar cheering me on.  Just think of the damage i could do on skis.

All that said, I am seriously thinking of going along.

And that probably will forever remain in the top 5 funniest things I’ve ever seen in my puff. :lol:

1 hour ago, Jersey Jim said:

FFS you get mair mental the older you get.

See you on Saturday for Saints title party x

👍 look forward to it Jim. If you notice a lump on the back of my leg I give you permission to whip out my knickers 😬 

3 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

👍 look forward to it Jim. If you notice a lump on the back of my leg I give you permission to whip out my knickers 😬 

Not the first time in your life you've ever said that ?

:lol:

:ph34r:

50 minutes ago, Marky said:

And that probably will forever remain in the top 5 funniest things I’ve ever seen in my puff. :lol:

I didnt let the family circus down on Sunday either. Me and another woman in the beginners group collided on the way down. We were both gripping onto each other for dear life whilst turning in a circle. My legs were getting further and further apart , it would have been agony had the pain from my calf not been so great.  I could see folk from the gallery taking pictures and laughing, I was really worried though . The instructor had to prise us apart at the bottom  as our skis were stuck  together. I honestly thought my legs were going to snap apart. 

12 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I assume by the way you have intimated they were :-

bj-how-much-like.jpg

11 hours ago, Mark frae Crieff said:

I assume by the way you have intimated they were :-

bj-how-much-like.jpg

😀 no, I think I  must just have very sensitive calves .....  😙

I was actually quite glad I found them,  they were one of my better pairs. 

On 4/19/2018 at 9:07 AM, TDYER63 said:

Well done !

Side stepping is one of those things you need to know and helps to learn how to use your edges but only done a lot on first few lessons.  Similarly learning to snowplough can be tough on the legs after a while but once you progress past that you'll find it less tiring.  That and not having knickers tucked in the back of your calves. <smile>

3 hours ago, McFootSoldier said:

Well done !

Side stepping is one of those things you need to know and helps to learn how to use your edges but only done a lot on first few lessons.  Similarly learning to snowplough can be tough on the legs after a while but once you progress past that you'll find it less tiring.  That and not having knickers tucked in the back of your calves. <smile>

Thanks. I am actually still walking sideways sometimes , without the skis .

For example, if I need to get up for the toilet in the middle of the night my calf is still  sore cos it has siezed up a bit , and I need to limp, but if I walk sideaways it is fine. I am like a crab wandering down the hall to the bathroom .

But it will be better soon , and I know the next lesson will be much less painful. The instructor did say the side walking was to get you more familiar with the skis, as he was yelling ‘ PIZZA ! PIZZA ! KEEP YOUR PIZZA ! . 

🦀🦀🍕🍕