BBC Documentary about Argentina 1978 - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

BBC Documentary about Argentina 1978

TVjohn

1 hour ago, VASCO said:

That's arrant nonsense. The round after the first group stage was also a group stage, and I wouldn't have thought that being in a group with Austria, Italy and West Germany would have been played for.

OK, OK, not old enough to remember, that's why I'm asking!

So if we had beaten Holland by 3 goals would that have knocked Holland or Peru out?

12 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

So if we had beaten Holland by 3 goals would that have knocked Holland or Peru out?

Holland would've been out. Had they topped the group they would've got Brazil, Argentina and Poland so did they play for a particular result?  Hard to say.  Italy had already beaten Argentina and West Germany were the reigning champions.

Lots of things have stuck in my mind from back then (despite intensive therapy!).  A final quote from Ally MacLeod before the team left for Argentina: "We'll hammer Peru and Iran have no chance!"

Dutch keeper Jongbloed was asked if we could score more than 3 against them: "Maybe, but perhaps they'd need more than 90 minutes!"

One thing's for sure and that's the fact that we've never witnessed support like that again.  Somebody once said 50,000 would've turned up to see Ally MacLeod hang his washing out.

20 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

Netherlands would have been knocked out and we would have gone on to be runners up to Argentina - fine margins.

20 minutes ago, daviebee said:

One thing's for sure and that's the fact that we've never witnessed support like that again.  Somebody once said 50,000 would've turned up to see Ally MacLeod hang his washing out.

Indeed. My first Scotland game was the also the first game after we qualified, a friendly v Bulgaria. Nearly 70,000 at Hampden on a Wednesday night in February!

Absolute peach of a winner from Ian Wallace that night.

My first game was the home international v N Ireland just before the team left.  Memorable for John Robertson being completely and utterly sh*te!  Buchan filling in for Donachie at left-back to see how it'd work as well since Donachie was suspended for the Peru game.

After Donachie's own goal v Wales on the Wednesday night I remember trying to chip his name off a big glass I had with all the squad's signatures on it!  :lol:

3 hours ago, VASCO said:

That's arrant nonsense. The round after the first group stage was also a group stage, and I wouldn't have thought that being in a group with Austria, Italy and West Germany would have been played for.

Better than a group with Argentina and Brazil.

People go on about the Peru game, It was the Iran game that killed my hopes. We were sure to beat Iran and probably Holland the Peru game was just a blip on our way to winning the world cup.

Could never understand how Joe Harper got on the plane either. 

8 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Aye I have the "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" book. DJ talks about being Joe Harper's roommate and their resulting lifelong friendship being about the only positive he took from the experience.

Yes Johnstone was there must have got it mixed up with Ally playing Harper.

Seem to remember Johstone scoring a couple of diving headers from out side the box in the run up so expected him to play, diving headers are a long lost art.

11 hours ago, davew said:

One thing I would be interested in, is how the Dutch preparation for the World cup compared to ours. They didn't have better players than us, but they got better results against both Peru and Iran.

Sorry but the dutch had an absolutley fantastic team and were really unlucky to face an irresistable argentinian team at home in the final.Argentina was my favourite world cup of all time even allowing for our dissapointing showing. still got a few of the many singles in my record collection which i still play.My favourite Bill Barclays Hoat pies for us in Argentina.

25 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Seem to remember Johstone scoring a couple of diving headers from out side the box in the run up so expected him to play, diving headers are a long lost art.

This was one...

DJ scored 40 goals that season including both Scottish goals in the home internationals but never got a sniff at the finals.

There was a rumour that Derek Johnstone had taken the same pills as Willie Johnston had, but apparently the real story was that he'd said to MacLeod that he didn't think he was a good enough forward and would prefer to play at the back.  MacLeod then basically took him at his word.

47 minutes ago, daviebee said:

There was a rumour that Derek Johnstone had taken the same pills as Willie Johnston had, but apparently the real story was that he'd said to MacLeod that he didn't think he was a good enough forward and would prefer to play at the back.  MacLeod then basically took him at his word.

Johnstone scored that cracker against Wales on the Wednesday night

On the Saturday we played England at Hampden and for the last 20 minutes of that game at 0-0 the fans were chanting for "one Derek Johnstone"

Ally refused the calls and Coppell scored with about 10 minutes left

I have often felt that as well as having his favourites Ally wasnt happy with one player being bigger than the team and this is why he never played again under him despite taking him to Argentina

16 hours ago, daviebee said:

After Donachie's own goal v Wales on the Wednesday night I remember trying to chip his name off a big glass I had with all the squad's signatures on it!  :lol:

I seem to remember I originally heard that on the radio. It was unreal. A sluggish phase of the game maybe, anyway an unhurried build-up from the back, the commentator was probably not describing the action in any detail, last thing you heard you were imagining drifting forward towards the halfway line, then suddenly oh no the ball in the back of the net - what?

Edited by exile

Lou Macari doesnt come out well in the books I have read about Argentina 78.  I actually think a documentary is definately warranted to bring together all the stories from it.

As an aside Richard Gordons book of the 74 campaign is excellent and would hope he does one on the 78 one at some point.

3 hours ago, giblet said:

Lou Macari doesnt come out well in the books I have read about Argentina 78.  I actually think a documentary is definately warranted to bring together all the stories from it.

I think it was one of Ally McLeod's sons that was on Off The Ball a while back and said that years after Argentina, once he had become a manager himself,  Lou Macari phoned Ally up and apologised for his behaviour at the World Cup, saying he now understood what he was having to put up with.