BBC Documentary about Argentina 1978 - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

BBC Documentary about Argentina 1978

TVjohn

16 minutes ago, billy corby said:

I'll go along with most  thats being said about the way scotland approached things , taking injured players and  not checking the opposition but I think one of the main issues was the shirts ! We had short sleeved airtex and everyone else had long sleeved cotton ! Did nobody  check the temperature! ! I rest my case .

I still blame the perms.

4 hours ago, billy corby said:

I'll go along with most  thats being said about the way scotland approached things , taking injured players and  not checking the opposition but I think one of the main issues was the shirts ! We had short sleeved airtex and everyone else had long sleeved cotton ! Did nobody  check the temperature! ! I rest my case .

It wasn't exactly Baltic coneditions.

6 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

It wasn't exactly Baltic coneditions.

And the players were bitching about the swimming pool at the hotel not being finished ...

after all the talk on 78 recently i re-watched the highlights of peru game ; then iran - it was only in reading the news report i focussed on archie gemmils 'challenge' for iran goal ; as amazing/iconic as his goal v Dutch was ; there seemed little flak over that , recall just a general go at everyone , i was only 12 when i watched the games though

1 hour ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

after all the talk on 78 recently i re-watched the highlights of peru game ; then iran - it was only in reading the news report i focussed on archie gemmils 'challenge' for iran goal ; as amazing/iconic as his goal v Dutch was ; there seemed little flak over that , recall just a general go at everyone , i was only 12 when i watched the games though

Seem to recall there was a stonewaller near the end of the Iran game but the ref gave us an indirect free kick in the box! That said the way we were playing it would probably have been missed.

Finally got round to seeing it. What came across was not just the passion/hope/confidence of the fans but generally the whole country, even in other parts of the UK, a sort of extended honorary tartan army. Not just that they were wishing Scotland well - but where 'doing well' meant actually winning the competition. So the Scotland manager going into the WC with reasonable hope, like, today, the manager of say Belgium might think, we have a talented team, we're ranked third in the world, maybe this time's our time. Even on Blue Peter they were wondering if Scotland could do it (ie actually win the whole thing)...   

I ended up missing this, is there still a way to see it?

I was a wee boy on holiday in Benidorm at the time. I can remember going into the Scotsman bar to ask the score as it was two days back then before you got the newspapers. They said 3-1 and I skipped out happy as Larry. I'm sure he shouted after me ' tae Peru' but I wouldn't have believed him anyway. It was another day and a half before reality hit me lol 😁

10 minutes ago, slasher said:

I ended up missing this, is there still a way to see it?

I was a wee boy on holiday in Benidorm at the time. I can remember going into the Scotsman bar to ask the score as it was two days back then before you got the newspapers. They said 3-1 and I skipped out happy as Larry. I'm sure he shouted after me ' tae Peru' but I wouldn't have believed him anyway. It was another day and a half before reality hit me lol 😁

Ah - The Scotsman Bar - across the road from the Hotel Titanic (now Marina) which is now the centre of the mad mental bit of Benidorm

And round the corner was The Tartan Arms

Remember it fondly from 1985

No papers, no internet, no phones - all you had was shitty crackly intermittent World Service radio and you went to the hotel reception to phone home

No sky sports never mind English speaking TV - but they did play videos of Only Fools & Horses. Fawlty Towers and recently released films all day

You used to check the pubs blackboards to see what they were showing

Believe it is now an Irish Bar called Scruffy Murphys

Yes that was another thing from the documentary - how isolated people were. Ally's wife mostly not in contact with him by phone unless he called her. Presumably via some difficult / extortionate hotel phone. No WAGs. And apart from the fans, the only English speaking people around would have been the press pack hovering like vultures. 

will we ever get to that position again in terms of squad quality or even in level of a nations optimism and positivity about our national team

Personally what keeps me positive about the future is these new SFA schools and them starting to turn out some potential as seen by Gilmour at Chelsea and Cochrane at Hearts - here's hoping it continues and develops even further 

I think also it we were threatening to break through the knock-out stages, it would be more comfortably in the role of the underdog - in the mould of Denmark, Croatia, Greece, Turkey, etc. - not with the mentality of one of the (talented but untried) contenders, packed with international stars just waiting to happen, as maybe Belgium are now.  I think one of the things that spooked us in 78 was the unaccustomed role of being a relatively fancied side, the UK A team, packed with Football League and European Cup winning stars, almost a big-country mentality, something going beyond a natural self-belief.  We are unlikely to do that again (especially post-devolution mentality where Scottish football seems much more remote from London than then)  

8 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

I think we will struggle to get back to '70's levels, but 90's level should see us qualifying again and I don't think were that far away.

The 1990s were the most successful period in the history of the national team. We took part in for FOUR tournaments during that decade. The 70s and 80s only produced an aggregate of four between them.

Incidentally the Argentina documentary is repeated on BBC1 on Tuesday at 10.55

Edited by Catchart Circle

2 hours ago, Catchart Circle said:

The 1990s were the most successful period in the history of the national team. We took part in for FOUR tournaments during that decade. The 70s and 80s only produced an aggregate of four between them.

Incidentally the Argentina documentary is repeated on BBC1 on Tuesday at 10.55

Well apart from the facts that the number of teams qualifying in the 90's was higher and the Euros weren't taken seriously in the 70's, maybe even the 80's, I wouldn't regard qualifying with no chance of being competitive a success. Bring back the 70's and 80's

On 6/10/2018 at 12:33 PM, Toepoke said:

It's incredible and sad to know so many of the TA have grown up like that.

I'd watched us play in 8 tournaments before I was 30.

Blimey!! You must have a good memory Toepoke. 

I’m guessing from the above post you are 50 now. I’m 52 and whilst I remember the 74 WC matches vividly, I remember next to nothing before then. Maybe the slightest whiff of a memory of the final qualifying game against Czechoslovakia, but nothing else.

Reckon if I’d only been 6 as I guess you were, I’d remember nothing. 

1 hour ago, Marky said:

Blimey!! You must have a good memory Toepoke. 

I’m guessing from the above post you are 50 now. I’m 52 and whilst I remember the 74 WC matches vividly, I remember next to nothing before then. Maybe the slightest whiff of a memory of the final qualifying game against Czechoslovakia, but nothing else.

Reckon if I’d only been 6 as I guess you were, I’d remember nothing. 

I was just about to start school but hey, I still bought the t-shirt.

0R3GsW.jpg

:)   

74 pfft.   I can remember (on TV) the W. Germany 3-2 Scotland qualifier for 1970.   We wiz robbed I tell ye!   (And just 1 to qualify, and no play-off for 2nd.)

OK, don't remember it in a lot of detail.   But we were definately robbed.   Dodgy free kick or sumthin'.

Dodgy memory more like?   No sign of any free kick.   I mind me or (more likely) my dad raging about one though (maybe an early childhood, influential moment?   Christ Pathe!!!  :unsure:  )

10 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

:)   

74 pfft.   I can remember (on TV) the W. Germany 3-2 Scotland qualifier for 1970.   We wiz robbed I tell ye!   (And just 1 to qualify, and no play-off for 2nd.)

OK, don't remember it in a lot of detail.   But we were definately robbed.   Dodgy free kick or sumthin'.

Dodgy memory more like?   No sign of any free kick.   I mind me or (more likely) my dad raging about one though (maybe an early childhood, influential moment?   Christ Pathe!!!  :unsure:  )

This one?

Well before my time though.