BBC Documentary about Argentina 1978 - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

BBC Documentary about Argentina 1978

TVjohn

7 hours ago, McTeeko said:

Trying to work your passage to Argentina! Tremendous!! 😆👍🏼

Aye, ridiculous really but at least I half-tried. Remember, nae Skyscanner or WWW then. It was a case of going into travel agents and getting ripped off. I think a lot of the folk who actually got over there went via USA. I did not have nearly enough money and the flights to Benidorm never mind Buenos Aires were out of my reach. I did hear of one guy from Edinburgh who met a local lassie over there and came back with her and got married.

Different days then mind. Ma maw didnae know what I was doing but there was none of this ringing up on mobile phones every 10 minutes to see if you were all right. 'that's me off then, Wembley/Anfield/Wrexham bound - see you when I see you'. Might just have been my perspective, but nearly everyone seemed to be absolutely steamin at the games. Wembley 77 and Anfield 77 my best days as Scotland supporter. Eons ago.

15 hours ago, Jacques Hunt said:

I think I am also correct in stating that our players lined up to hear GSTFQ as our national anthem. 

Aye Spain 82 was the first tournament where we used our own anthem, Scotland The Brave (the record went into a bizarre medley,  it was like the tune that was used for start of STV in the morning!) 

15 hours ago, Jacques Hunt said:

talking of which, as I wondered during 1982 WC qualifying campaign, when did Israel become part of Europe?

Israel represented Asia at the 1970 World Cup, they switched after that as Arab states boycotted playing them. They were invited as a guest by other confederations (even trying to qualify via Oceania) until becoming full UEFA members in the 1990s.

Great story from 78 btw :ok: 

Edited by Toepoke

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

Israel represented Asia at the 1970 World Cup, they switched after that as Arab states boycotted playing them. They were invited as a guest by other confederations (even trying to qualify via Oceania) until becoming full UEFA members in the 1990s.

Nice feedback. It would be a new low and just like us to be eliminated from a EURO championship by a team that is not even in Europe!! Surely not. 

29 minutes ago, Jacques Hunt said:

Nice feedback. It would be a new low and just like us to be eliminated from a EURO championship by a team that is not even in Europe!! Surely not. 

It's not the only one of course - Kazakhstan is in UEFA (and of course Russia extends further east than Asia or Australia).

And in terms of new lows, there were/are always those smaller countries that are potential bananaskins - Moldova, Faroes - and Gibraltar who can get to score against us for the first time, and we still await the likes of Andorra, Montenegro, Kosovo...?

Always hearing talk about how good a team and squad we had in 1978, but I would say the team and squad we had in 1974 were every bit as good if not better, they just were not hyped up in the same way. Also if you want a hard luck story then forgot about the Holland match as the damage was done in the previous two games against Peru and Iran

The real hard luck story was in 1974 where we beat Zaire 2-0, drew with Yugoslavia and Brazil and still never went on to the next stage.

Of course back then the Leagues were not full of foreign players and there were plenty of good Scottish players to choose from.

12 minutes ago, robbo cop said:

The real hard luck story was in 1974 where we beat Zaire 2-0, drew with Yugoslavia and Brazil and still never went on to the next stage.

The first team to exit a World Cup undefeated.  It's happened a few times since however.

Edited by Toepoke

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Aye Spain 82 was the first tournament where we used our own anthem, Scotland The Brave (the record went into a bizarre medley,  it was like the tune that was used for start of STV in the morning!) 

Great story from 78 btw :ok: 

The Arabian nations should be thrown out of competition then for political involvement. It's anti-semitism 

8 minutes ago, robbo cop said:

we will never know how far we could have went.....

IF we'd got that extra win we'd have been up against the hosts and a very strong Polish team, so it's unlikely we'd have made the last 4, but as you say we'll never know.

I do think that our strong performance in 74 helped fuel the hysteria before Argentina 78 though.

Notwithstanding any help they probably got, that Argentina side was great to watch - and the ticker tape was brilliant.  F**k being a groundsman there. And after tournament, quite a few (of the team) came to play in England which was a really big deal then.  

On 2018-02-17 at 11:18 AM, Jacques Hunt said:

I was 19 in 1978 and, having been to both home qualifiers and the 'away' game at Anfield decided to try to get over there for the finals where I expected us, rather conservatively to maybe finish 3rd place in the tournament. In retrospect, my efforts to get to Argentina were probably half-hearted at best. I rapped my job in early April - I was earning around £14 a week assembling transformers and I think and a pint of beer was about 30p. I think I had £50 in my pocket (lot of money BTW) and I went to Liverpool docks (hitch-hiked from Birmingham - the easy bit) and asked to work my passage to Argentina. You can imagine how much the dockers took the piss - I was wearing a replica top and a tammy. Nae kilt. One bloke offered to sneak me on board a South Africa bound vessel but I suspected that he may have had unhealthy ideas so I knocked that back. Basically, gave up and watched the debacle unfold on the telly in between some good nights on the piss with my savings. loads of English people were behind us  - until it all went pear shaped - and the lyrics of Ally's Tartan Army were really embarrassing. Plenty folk did go but I have never met one who did. I think I am also correct in stating that our players lined up to hear GSTFQ as our national anthem. 

The thing that gets to me most about it now is the whole section of the Scottish Football museum celebrating Archie Gemmill's wondergoal. Maybe it is no longer there.It think it was the Holland game that cemented the expression 'glorious failure' into our psyche and language. 

We actually had a very good team and squad and should have done better, but, this was the era when we judged ourselves against England who were basically a team of heavy drinkers at that time as I recall. We had beaten them at Wembley in June 77 so obviously, we were world beaters. By WC 1978, that team was probably a bit over the top and needed fresher legs and Danny McGrain was injured. Ally McLeod (bless him) stuck by his midfield and Sounness only played in the Holland game. The Iran game was the worst IMO and there are all sorts of stories about poor hotel facilities and lack of planning. Wha's like us, eh? Only 3 teams including us in our qualifying group for that WC though so maybe a good omen regarding forthcoming nations league. Scotland and two others. talking of which, as I wondered during 1982 WC qualifying campaign, when did Israel become part of Europe?

Great post

- i think the dutch ? Were in the same hotel as Scotland later on

On Monday, February 05, 2018 at 4:14 PM, Toepoke said:

Indeed. My first Scotland game was the also the first game after we qualified, a friendly v Bulgaria. Nearly 70,000 at Hampden on a Wednesday night in February!

Was 40 years ago the night. I'm having a wee celebration here...

To mark his 60th birthday, Ludo (and if you don't know who that is you're not a "real" Scotland fan) went to Argentina.

He hitched a lift with the Scottish rugby team who were doing a South American tour.

He made his way to Mendoza to recreate Archie's goal. The stadium is still there but is not now in use.

The local Mayor knew he was coming and some local Civic staff were there to help Ludo. They stood where the Dutch defenders were and Ludo danced between and around them to score.

On the flight over he had been telling a couple of BBC employees who had been sent to cover the tour, of what he was up to. When they landed, the BBC guys got back in touch with BBC Scotland to ask if they could go to Mendoza to cover this, but the BBC wouldn't pay for the costs of the flights.

On 2/21/2018 at 9:48 PM, TVjohn said:

Thanks all for the contributions.

Documentary is trying to look at the story of the players, the fans ( in Argentina but also back home), the media, the manager.

Filming is on-going and can only hope folk enjoy it when it comes out.

What was big DJ's answer to that most important question?

4 hours ago, Flure said:

To mark his 60th birthday, Ludo (and if you don't know who that is you're not a "real" Scotland fan) went to Argentina.

He hitched a lift with the Scottish rugby team who were doing a South American tour.

He made his way to Mendoza to recreate Archie's goal. The stadium is still there but is not now in use.

The local Mayor knew he was coming and some local Civic staff were there to help Ludo. They stood where the Dutch defenders were and Ludo danced between and around them to score.

On the flight over he had been telling a couple of BBC employees who had been sent to cover the tour, of what he was up to. When they landed, the BBC guys got back in touch with BBC Scotland to ask if they could go to Mendoza to cover this, but the BBC wouldn't pay for the costs of the flights.

Aye when I had an 8 hour layover in Paris after the Serbia game in Novi Sad I met Ludo in CDG. He told me that very story 👍🏼

I went into Paris for a few hours but he was happy sitting about the airport! 

15 hours ago, Flure said:

The Guy who was involved in setting up the original tamb?

On Monday, February 05, 2018 at 4:25 PM, daviebee said:

After Donachie's own goal v Wales on the Wednesday night I remember trying to chip his name off a big glass I had with all the squad's signatures on it!  :lol:

After I posted the Bulgaria game clips the highlights of that game appeared as an option..

Classic quote from Hugh Johns when Wales missed a late penalty (mentioned the square posts btw). With luck like this Scotland will retain the British championship and probably win the World Cup too" :( 

7 hours ago, Toepoke said:

After I posted the Bulgaria game clips the highlights of that game appeared as an option..

Classic quote from Hugh Johns when Wales missed a late penalty (mentioned the square posts btw). With luck like this Scotland will retain the British championship and probably win the World Cup too" :( 

First time I've seen that in donkeys. I remember Donachie saying he was first off the pitch and up the tunnel. Nae wonder - the crowd should've lynched the fkin erse! :lol: