BBC Documentary about Argentina 1978 - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

BBC Documentary about Argentina 1978

TVjohn

23 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I think it was one of Ally McLeod's sons that was on Off The Ball a while back and said that years after Argentina, once he had become a manager himself,  Lou Macari phoned Ally up and apologised for his behaviour at the World Cup, saying he now understood what he was having to put up with.

Macari was an absolute snivelly little cvnt and his apologies can get to fvck

He was selling stories to the paper telling them what was going on behind closed doors during the tournament

His excuse has always been it was to make up for unpaid bonuses or some other shit

A corrupt despicable little cvnt

What's interesting about some of these memories is how ingrained they must be - people are remembering, after nearly 40 years, details of who didn't make the squad or who went but didn't play etc. - I'd probably struggle to remember the equivalent got the last squad.

And the coverage too. I seem to remember "eyebrows were raised" at Andy Gray's inclusion. Asa Hartford was defined as a "midfield dynamo" though I see from google that he's been called that plenty of times...

10 hours ago, exile said:

What's interesting about some of these memories is how ingrained they must be - people are remembering, after nearly 40 years, details of who didn't make the squad or who went but didn't play etc. - I'd probably struggle to remember the equivalent got the last squad.

And the coverage too. I seem to remember "eyebrows were raised" at Andy Gray's inclusion. Asa Hartford was defined as a "midfield dynamo" though I see from google that he's been called that plenty of times...

Eyebrows might have been raised because Andy Gray wasn't in the squad. He was player of the year in England the previous season. It is another indication of how good that squad was, that Gray was left out despite a lot of people regarding him as the best player playing in England.

14 hours ago, exile said:

Asa Hartford had a hole in is his heart or so I heard 

On 05/02/2018 at 4:25 PM, daviebee said:

Absolute peach of a winner from Ian Wallace that night.

My first game was the home international v N Ireland just before the team left.  Memorable for John Robertson being completely and utterly sh*te!  Buchan filling in for Donachie at left-back to see how it'd work as well since Donachie was suspended for the Peru game.

After Donachie's own goal v Wales on the Wednesday night I remember trying to chip his name off a big glass I had with all the squad's signatures on it!  :lol:

Like this one? 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QPAdeVg0e6SrxNGr2

18 minutes ago, bonzo said:

Got one as a birthday present a couple of years ago

There must still be a lot about

Have also got an Argentina 78 "Here we come" ashtray

Edited by Ally Bongo

11 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Eyebrows might have been raised because Andy Gray wasn't in the squad. He was player of the year in England the previous season. It is another indication of how good that squad was, that Gray was left out despite a lot of people regarding him as the best player playing in England.

Yes absolutely.

But specifically I remember the phrase  "eyebrows were raised"  as in,  even the descriptions in the press are etched in the memory. Probably, it was the first time I had heard of him. And Hartford, and the other "Anglos". 

6 minutes ago, exile said:

Yes absolutely.

But specifically I remember the phrase  "eyebrows were raised"  as in,  even the descriptions in the press are etched in the memory. Probably, it was the first time I had heard of him. And Hartford, and the other "Anglos". 

Certainly the first time I had heard of Graeme Souness

Was 12 in 78 ; the peru game was a shock , but iran knocked the stuffing out of us

the “dont cry for me” book indeed a classic - altho like a lot of guys of that age am interested in 70s football

ill point out again that in archies book “ flower of Scotland “ that ernie walker claims we were never to qualify even if we had beat dutch by 3 goals ; fifa were to dock points in that event ( w j / tonic gate) altho no written records exist

wouldnt of surprised me tho

11 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Was 12 in 78 ; the peru game was a shock , but iran knocked the stuffing out of us

the “dont cry for me” book indeed a classic - altho like a lot of guys of that age am interested in 70s football

ill point out again that in archies book “ flower of Scotland “ that ernie walker claims we were never to qualify even if we had beat dutch by 3 goals ; fifa were to dock points in that event ( w j / tonic gate) altho no written records exist

wouldnt of surprised me tho

It shouldn't have been a shock though. I am old enough (and so was Ally;)) to remember seeing Cubillas and Chumpitaz at the 1970 WC. A lot of us fans knew what Cubillas could do with free kicks, so why didn't our manager and players know that as well? Oblitas was also a fantastic player. Peru were a very good side but we could have beaten them if we had prepared properly. 

Argentina did hump them (6-0, I think) but that result was well dodgy. Talk of broon envelopes was rife. 

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Cheers.:ok:

I think any respectable documentary would have to go into the politics of the region at the time. One aspect which should be covered would be the 1977 South America tour, where Davie Cooper refused to play in Santiago because the national stadium still had the bullet holes from when Pinochet's henchmen had murdered thousands of Allende supporters. This game was so controversial that questions were asked in the house of commons. Ally MacLeod never gave Copper his first cap nor did he take him to Argentina in 1978. Ally went with Willie Johnston instead which, with hindsight, turned out to be one of his biggest mistakes.

Cooper didn't get his first cap until Jock Stein took over and funnily enough it was against ......PERU.

Edited by Orraloon

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I think any respectable documentary would have to go into the politics of the region at the time. One aspect which should be covered would be the 1977 South America tour, where Davie Cooper refused to play in Santiago because the national stadium still had the bullet holes from when Pinochet's henchmen had murdered thousands of Allende supporters. This game was so controversial that questions were asked in the house of commons. 

One of the few Scotland games to have a song written about it...

• 2 weeks later...

I was 19 in 1978 and, having been to both home qualifiers and the 'away' game at Anfield decided to try to get over there for the finals where I expected us, rather conservatively to maybe finish 3rd place in the tournament. In retrospect, my efforts to get to Argentina were probably half-hearted at best. I rapped my job in early April - I was earning around £14 a week assembling transformers and I think and a pint of beer was about 30p. I think I had £50 in my pocket (lot of money BTW) and I went to Liverpool docks (hitch-hiked from Birmingham - the easy bit) and asked to work my passage to Argentina. You can imagine how much the dockers took the piss - I was wearing a replica top and a tammy. Nae kilt. One bloke offered to sneak me on board a South Africa bound vessel but I suspected that he may have had unhealthy ideas so I knocked that back. Basically, gave up and watched the debacle unfold on the telly in between some good nights on the piss with my savings. loads of English people were behind us  - until it all went pear shaped - and the lyrics of Ally's Tartan Army were really embarrassing. Plenty folk did go but I have never met one who did. I think I am also correct in stating that our players lined up to hear GSTFQ as our national anthem. 

The thing that gets to me most about it now is the whole section of the Scottish Football museum celebrating Archie Gemmill's wondergoal. Maybe it is no longer there.It think it was the Holland game that cemented the expression 'glorious failure' into our psyche and language. 

We actually had a very good team and squad and should have done better, but, this was the era when we judged ourselves against England who were basically a team of heavy drinkers at that time as I recall. We had beaten them at Wembley in June 77 so obviously, we were world beaters. By WC 1978, that team was probably a bit over the top and needed fresher legs and Danny McGrain was injured. Ally McLeod (bless him) stuck by his midfield and Sounness only played in the Holland game. The Iran game was the worst IMO and there are all sorts of stories about poor hotel facilities and lack of planning. Wha's like us, eh? Only 3 teams including us in our qualifying group for that WC though so maybe a good omen regarding forthcoming nations league. Scotland and two others. talking of which, as I wondered during 1982 WC qualifying campaign, when did Israel become part of Europe?