Once in a Blue (Blood, Super) Moon - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Once in a Blue (Blood, Super) Moon

39 minutes ago, jailender said:

Went outside around midnight to take some photos, and was underwhelmed to say the least. Just looked like normal full moon , but maybe slightly larger. :(

It was the normal size, just not so far away.  Father Ted explained that to me.

23 minutes ago, jailender said:

Went outside around midnight to take some photos, and was underwhelmed to say the least. Just looked like normal full moon , but maybe slightly larger. :(

It was slightly bigger, than an average full moon, by about 7%. But that isn't a big enough difference for us to perceive with the naked eye and no measuring instrument. It was also 15% brighter than normal. But what are you comparing it against? You are just going from memory of some other full moons from months ago. If you are comparing it to full moons you have seen recently, then there will be very little difference, as we have just had 3 "supermoons" in a row.

By the time you saw it it was past the "blood red" stage. And it was only visible from the other side of the planet. I am assuming you are in the UK?

I've seen quite a few lunar eclipses. They are OK, but not really that impressive. You didn't miss much really. To describe them as "blood red" is a bit of a stretch. If my blood was that colour, I'd be heading to the doctor pretty smartish. 

I cycled to work this morning early doors (0500hrs) normally pitch black but much much lighter this morning and had to change my lenses, unfortunately as I was heading west into its glare I ended up with a pounding headache from screwing my eyes up, a ginger would have required suncream