ITV 100 greatest walks - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

It seemed to be a vote on where the busiest walks are rather than the greatest walks. I like the lake District but its like Piccadilly Circus a lot of the time. It was a popular population vote. 5 in the top ten from the same area? Aye. Right. To have no walks from Scotland in the top 12 is ridiculous.....

Edited by Boboblanko

53 minutes ago, Boboblanko said:

It seemed to be a vote on where the busiest walks are rather than the greatest walks. I like the lake District but its like Piccadilly Circus a lot of the time. It was a popular population vote. 5 in the top ten from the same area? Aye. Right. To have no walks from Scotland in the top 12 is ridiculous.....

Did you cast a vote in the online poll?

I enjoyed seeing the different walks but just ignored the ranking - it was always going to be where the people have gone most. Considering the voting population in England - there would be a much higher percentage who have gone walking in the Lakes rather than Scotland.

My favourite walk last year was part of doing the North Coast 500 playing golf at different places.  2 rounds of golf round the nine hole Durness course (fantastic views of Balnakeil beach , bay , the surrounding lochs and hills -followed by a walk around Balnakeil beach to the headland - just stunning  -but being very remote it would never be in any populous vote. Best view of my whole trip round the Highlands though was Plockton - sat on the sea wall with a bag of chips.

I have been inspired by the program to possibly do a couple of the walks in the North West of England.

Edited by irnbruman

9 hours ago, irnbruman said:

I enjoyed seeing the different walks but just ignored the ranking - it was always going to be where the people have gone most. Considering the voting population in England - there would be a much higher percentage who have gone walking in the Lakes rather than Scotland.

My favourite walk last year was part of doing the North Coast 500 playing golf at different places.  2 rounds of golf round the nine hole Durness course (fantastic views of Balnakeil beach , bay , the surrounding lochs and hills -followed by a walk around Balnakeil beach to the headland - just stunning  -but being very remote it would never be in any populous vote. Best view of my whole trip round the Highlands though was Plockton - sat on the sea wall with a bag of chips.

I have been inspired by the program to possibly do a couple of the walks in the North West of England.

Didn’t see the programme but visited Bamburgh a while ago and can’t believe Northumberland isn’t as well visited or known as the Lakes or Cornwall. Beautiful place with a stunning beach and what looks like a fairy tale castle.

This is a nice walk.  http://www.theaa.com/walks/bamburghs-coast-and-castle-420337

3 hours ago, G-Man said:

Didn’t see the programme but visited Bamburgh a while ago and can’t believe Northumberland isn’t as well visited or known as the Lakes or Cornwall. Beautiful place with a stunning beach and what looks like a fairy tale castle.

This is a nice walk.  http://www.theaa.com/walks/bamburghs-coast-and-castle-420337

I played Bamburgh Castle golf course last year. Aside from being a cracking course , the views from high up on the course are fantastic. My favourite part of England is the North Yorkshire coast from Saltburn down to Bridlington including Whitby ,Scarborough and Filey. I worked at Butlins Filey in 1979 - love the whole area. Whitby is a fantastic town .

Edited by irnbruman